Type 1, I'm being bullied

Hi everyone and thanks for responding! Starting school again in a couple of days (thank god for the mid-term break) and I’ll try out all the helpful advice in this thread. I’m thinking that first, since we only share 1 class, I’ll ask my teacher if I could possibly move to sit further away from him… if this doesn’t work I’ll warn him, and if that doesn’t work… well… let’s hope it doesn’t come to that…

In response to erice jack16 and john I will try out lchf, thanks! About two months ago I’ve started eating moderately low carb (~60 or 70 a day) but am afraid of going any lower than that as I’m still growing and my mom is concerned about my nutrient intake, not sure if lchf is recommended for teenagers? I’ve had way better blood sugar readings with my liberal low carb diet, some days I even stay within 3.5 and 7 on my cgms! The only downside is that it sucks not being able to eat what you want, whenever you want like all of my peers can.

Where I live there aren’t many skilled/ experienced dietitians, however I am moving in a couple of months where more of this kind of care and support will be available to me.

4 Likes

good to hear you had a break from the hell that can be school, hope it all goes well in the coming week!

I eat a moderate carb diet, usually about as many as you do, some days less. But you know what? This past weekend SO took my out to eat to Red Robin and I had fried zucchini, a french dip sandwich, and bottomless sweet potato fries. Let yourself indulge on special occasions and just watch the CGM carefully. I see LCHF as a lifestyle, not a diet. If you try to adhere it to it too strictly you’ll feel like you’ve missed out and become sad, stressed, whatever. Indulging every now and again is a very enjoyable part of life. I also sit there a lot and watch people eat things I want, then I make some pepperoni chips and throw a piece of cheese of the week (I’m always trying different cheeses) and the taste makes me not feel sorry for myself. Experimenting with foods is a great way to keep yourself satisfied and to not feel that you’re missing out. (No carb orange cream pie, anyone?)

1 Like

that is good to hear, that you had a break from it,.

hope it goes well,.

Bump. Just checking in, haven’t heard from you in a while. Having trouble reading some of the responses having weird screen issues tonight (sigh). Bullying in any form is very wrong on any level you can name. Most people have had serious experience being on the receiving end of it, and.some suffer it today, now.

As a professional karate teacher for a day or two, there is much serious benefit to the study and many wicked parallels between diabetes and martial arts in particular. However the confidence you seek is not a.pill one takes at ones first class. By the second, the third class certainly but not the first class (gentle smirk)

A fundamental component of quality martial arts instruction is the change which occurs in us. It takes time to get.comfortable in your own skin. Figure out your boundaries, what you want, need to protect or not protect. Ages, sizes, temperaments and intensities of all your partners and opponents you learn to work with. Years of practice before it’s a habit

You don’t have to “win”… staying alive is sufficient. Starting something new is simple, staying with it, and slowly chipping away at things we want to change… time is necessary. Let yourself have some time… dietary habits, inbred bullies create a plan. Give it details. And if somethings not working, send up a flare, let us know. You’ll get some new ideas… diabetics we don’t suffer bullies, we are diabetics, and they won’t like your older brothers and sisters, your crazy cousins here stepping in for you. Won’t like it one little bit

We have your back, talk to us let us know you’re ok please.

3 Likes

I’m sorry for you, that’s terrible! You should make a police report on him. All they have to do is have a talk with him and he won’t find it worth his while to do that anymore. That’s too dangerous for you!

1 Like

How about your parents talk to his parents? That resolved a few bullying situations for me when I was your age.

Hello Anon:

Only problem with a ZERO tolerance policy, it makes no distinction whatsoever between the aggressor/bully and the victim(s).

If/when the admin. is lazy both the bad and the good get suspended…

Good idea, BAD application far too often.

Let’s hear it (for the billionth time) for the Law of Unintended Consequences.

1 Like

Just to support the idea brought to the table by Big Ed:

Aside from the obvious results he received, you can take audio tapes to a lawyer

Either a private one, or thru American Diabetes Association or a free one thru the Office of Civil Rights in your area.

Make certain you have a 504 plan in place to support your health plan. This will protect your educational rights no matter what school you attend. Talk to your counselor and parents about setting it up.

Don’t let ANYONE tell you you won’t qualify for a 504 plan or that your school doesn’t do them. Those comments are Federally illegal, and a violation of your educational rights.

Best of everything this new school year!!!

3 Likes

And don’t overlook the ACLU. I have posted elsewhere about their interest in things like this.

Love this idea – buy a cheap recorder and keep it on your person at all times…when you need too, discreetly click record and let them dig their holes. Those recordings are proof in any proceedings and get beyond the ‘his word your word’ scenario. If the teachers won’t do anything hopefully your parents will. I know if my kids are going to be bullied, I’ll be the first in the Principal’s and the kids parents’ faces…but I don’t have a filter button.

1 Like

Um. Not exactly.

Be careful with this. It is unlawful in many places to record a conversation without the other party’s prior consent, and the laws vary from place to place according to no sane pattern. Here, for instance, it’s okay to do it on the telephone, but not in person. Go figure.

1 Like

Sorry, my word “proceedings” was probably misleading. By “proceedings” I was referring to a meeting with the principal and/or letting the parents hear what’s going on. Additionally, in MANY states, the requirement is that only ONE of the TWO (or more) parties need to be aware of the recording. As long as the recorder (bully victim) is aware, it’s acceptable (again, States vary so check your local laws.) In those states where two party consent is required then yes, David’s comment is applicable.

Where I live, in Virginia, we are a one party consent state so it’s perfectly acceptable for the bully victim to record his aggressor / bully.

Virginia’s wiretapping law is a “one-party consent” law. Virginia makes it a crime to intercept or record any “wire, oral, or electronic communication” unless one party to the conversation consents. Virginia Code § 19.2-62.

My point was not that nonjuridical proceedings won’t allow it, but that doing it is sometimes a crime. Here, for example, one party consent is allowed for telephone conversations but not face to face meetings. So we are really each saying the same thing: know what the local law is before you proceed. Don’t make a bad situation worse.

2 Likes

I have to ask–what career choice did you make? Super deejay? Private investigator? DEA infiltrator?

Seriously, this was a great way to deal with bullying. Thanks for the story!

some days I even stay within 3.5 and 7 on my cgms!

I’m guessing from this tidbit that you’re not in the USA, land of BGs and A1c, so some advice and legalese might not be appropriate.

Do you have diabetes summer camps in your area, or support groups for diabetic teens? Like this site (TuDiabetes), there’s nothing like talking to people who know exactly what you’re going through, because they went through it, too!

Good luck!

I have had some things like this happen to me before. There’s not much to do except tell a parent or gaurdian or a teacher. If he keeps doing it, tell him"Your ugly face better shove it before I do." You have to defend your self. Make him aware that he really his putting your life on the line. Then let a teacher know that he has been stealing from you and threatening your life. I honestly hate bullying, mostly because of what I’ve been through, please do this, it might save your life. Plus, he is harassing you and that is against the law. Tell a teacher again. Or your parent(s).