Type 1 looses weight

I weighted 225 pounds forever. I injected 90 units of pork insulin a day forever too. 5 months ago I decided I would feel better with less weight so I reduced insulin by 20 units down to 70 units a day. I don’t eat dinner anymore and I cut carbs by a huge amount. After 3-4 months I weighed 200 pounds, a 25 pound reduction and that has been stabilized for a month and a half now. I feel great and can actually see my feet ha ha!!!

Don

Congrats

Wonderful!

That’s a great story with implications for everyone wanting to lose weight! You have a method!
Just curious: What do you estimate your carb gram intake daily is today?
Are you going to go for the next 25?
Wonderful! You really worked hard!

Way to go. :smiley:

MissKitka, Thank you for getting back on. That’s marvelous! You accomplished so much!

Congratulations on the weight loss. May I ask: How have your bgs been since you reduced your insulin and lost weight? Many young diabetic women do exactly what you’ve done in order to lose weight, sometimes with lethal consequences. No amount of weight loss is worth it if you’re running high or low blood sugars!

Weight loss is such a great thing. COngratulations.

rick phillips

Congratulations on your weight loss!!

God Bless
Brunetta

Miss Kitka,
Don’t mind me: I have another question! How did you know how much insulin to reduce, and did you do it gradually like by the week or all at once at the start? You reduced it almost by 1/4! You must have a strong will to accomplish so much! Way to go!

Congratulations again! You were careful, you were on top of it! Great job!

Don,

I agree: 90U is quite high, and I am quite surprised that you test only a few times a month. Regardless of whether you're a type 1 or type 2, when you're on insulin, you are susceptible to low blood sugars. I was taught that when you're on insulin, the minimum number of bg tests you need is 3: One before each meal of the day, specifically to adjust your rapid acting or short acting insulin to amount of carbohydrates you're eating and your current bg level. That way, if you're quite low, you can take less insulin, or if you want to eat more carbs in a particular meal, you can adjust your insulin to accommodate them. Are you using that sort of method to adjust your insulin dosage and if not, would you be willing to learn how? If you're not currently doing that, and you're willing to learn, perhaps you could talk to your doctor about it.

Were you aware that you can have an A1c of 5.5 and still have bgs well in the 200s? I know -- from personal experience. The A1c gives doctors a picture of the average blood glucose over a period of time. It is incapable of letting a doctor know what range your blood sugars have been in. In April 2008, my A1c was 5.5, just like your's. However, my bgs were ranging from 61-248 -- and that's only what I caught with frequent daily testing. Just because your A1c is in the normal range does not guarantee you are not having very high bgs after eating or very low bgs in the middle of the night. Without a continuous glucose monitoring system (CGM), the only way to know how high and how low you're going is to test your bgs and to test them fairly frequently.

Angela