Type 1 Newbie

Hi everyone! I'm new here to the site and also to the world of diabetes, so I thought I'd introduce myself and say hello. My name is Leah, I'm 28 and from Australia.

I was diagnosed just over a week ago with Type 1 diabetes after suffering the classic symptoms for around 3 weeks...you know - the increased thirst, waking up all night to go to the toilet, blurred vision and weightloss.

I finally went to the doctor and told her my symptoms and she instantly said you have diabetes, let me check your glucose. My glucose was 22mmol/L (? 396mg/dl) at around 11 am after having nothing that day but a coffee a couple of hrs earlier, I also had ketones in my urine...so it was off to the hospital for me!

My A1C was just under 10 and I was commenced on Lantus each night and Novorapid with meals.

I'm a student nurse so I guess I should have picked up on the symptoms earlier...the thought had crossed my mind but I was most likely in denial.

In one way being a student nurse worked out ok, I was used to the 'jabs' although I'm usually giving them not getting them and also had a bit of understanding about diabetes (although I have now realised how little we are taught!). Anyway they seemed to think I knew what I was doing so I had a relatively short hospital stay. Unfortunately I feel like I have been left to 'fend' for myself as I 'should' know what to do as i'm a student nurse.

I'm glad to have found this great site, it's answered lots of my questions! If anyone has any tips for a newly diagnosed diabetic trying to get used to a new world of poking holes in herself and all the rest that comes along with it I'd be very grateful.

Hi Leah,

First, great profile pic – very silent movie era! Second, wonderful that you are studying to become a nurse, we can never have enough great nurses.

And… I’m a relative newbie myself – was diagnosed in June of this year. The poking and testing and shooting becomes routine, as well as the vigilance over meals. It doesn’t seem that it will ever be that way at first, but it does become second nature.

This is a great site not only because of the tremendous collective knowledge, not available in this quantity or variety through your average medical team, but also because of the mental health support aspect. Diabetes is a sort of “on your own” affliction and as such, it can be very isolating and maddening. I second Courtneyv in encouraging you to feel free to post, blog, comment etc. as much as you need to. Chances are there is at least one person if not many out here who can join you in your specific journey, both in coping and healing.

Welcome!

I’m also a nurse and was surprised at how little that helped me. It kept me out of the hospital when I was diagnosed but looking back I should have gone in anyway. It’s trial and error and your body will give you lots of surprises along the way. Welcome to the club that nobody wants to be in.

Welcome Leah! This is a great group.

Welcome Leah !!! Sorry you have to join the D club. As the previous people have said, this is a wonderful place to learn, vent, and live with this new life you have acquired, There are so many knowledgeable members who are very willing to help a newbie as yourself with any questions you will have along the way. There are NO foolish or dumb questions you have, everyone has to learn, just ask. The T-1 Forum is a good place to start.

WELCOME LEAH!!! Yes were always here if you need us! I got diagnosed at 10 and am now 47. DON’T LET THE 'BETES WIN! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Hey, Leah –

Welcome to a very select and sweet crowd. :slight_smile: I’ve been at this for 33 years and I learn new things all the time. It is going to get easier. My FBS at diagnosis was some 365 if I remember correctly.

This is a great site and the people here are very helpful and compassionate. There’s a lot of good knowledge here. If you have a question about anything, post it and you will get all kinds of answers and suggestions. This community is very helpful.

Welcome!

Peter

Welcome, Leah. Wonderful you found us so soon after being diagnosed.

I felt that I was left to fend for myself also when I left the hospital. This is common. I was told nothing. I had to find a nurse the day I was discharged to learn how to give myself injections.

Test a lot & log everything. Learn to count carbs & dose to what you eat. I don’t know what’s standard in AU, but in the US people are typically started on a sliding scale for insulin. Sliding scale is quite inaccurate. Check out www.bloodsugar101.com. Wonderful site!

Leah,

Being left to do it yourself with everyone thinking you know it all does have both pluses and minuses. Welcome, first of all.

No. 2, think about getting “Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution”, “Think Like a Pancreas” by Scheiner, “Blood Sugar 101” by Ruhl, & “Using Insulin” by Walsh. Consider them your textbooks after the physiology review.

No. 3, after settling into diabetic life, and learning grams of carbs for your favorite foods, consider low carbing it to reduce spikes. Try it out.

There’s lots of information in here about reducing those carbs bit by bit.

And finally, No. 4, consider becoming a CDE or advanced practitioner in diabetes.

sweet crowd! LOL!

I would perhaps suggest turning off what you have learned as a student nurse and maybe read some of the popular books that are floating around? My favorite is TLAP but the other ones are all interesting too, although I have sort of a respect/ make fun of Swedish crackers relationship w/ Dr. Bernstein's book. I reread it a couple of years ago when I got a pump and learned some things though? I read medical reports (re. car accidents...) all day @ work and am always stunned by the minimal content of anything I've ever seen pertaining to people with diabetes. The reports tend to be extremely brief, like a discussion of A1C # and do you need rx's? One of my friends is a psychiatrist (who moved to New Zealand about a year ago...) but didn't really have a lot to add? I would recommend figuring out what you want to do independent of your doctor and sort of push your doctor to help you get there?

I would second Leo2's suggestion about specializing in diabetes, it seems likely to be a booming business?