Type 1 over 50 years

Your hdl is only important as part of the total cholesterol.
So when you have more high than low it’s a good thing.
Low density cholesterol is stickier and can accumulate. While higher density will pass through.
But even high density will stick if there already is a blockage.

That’s why I think low total cholesterol, low triglycerides and low ldl is key. If you have all that then your Hdl will be higher by default.

I can’t take statins so my only hope was cholestoff.
I have no side effects and it works great.
I only hope the effect will last.
Taking it twice a day is a bit of a pain though.

I am 71 and type one for 47 years

1 Like

You don’t need any proof. JUst fill out the form online. I sent away for the 15 year medal not that long ago even though I was diagnosed 34 years ago, I always assumed I’d need proof so I never bothered. Only 16 more years until 50!

Medical science has published more than just the lessening significance of the apparent role of high HDL. They keep advancing the depth and range of lipids’ roles IN THE LIGHT of the rest of our biochemistries.
I have always tried to not make decisions based on single topics, individual value threads, etc.
In fact one of the most common values we diabetics refer to, and many make critical life-pattern changes because of is the HbA1c.

Of late, I have demoted mine to a lesser role in guiding my diabetes behaviors. As my life’s years reach into their last decade or so (demographically & in my blood lines), I am choosing to value other things at higher levels of my attention, HbA1c moving lower.

Happiness, for example, is ascendant lately.
Of course I wish the same for everyone.

Bill Marston

2 Likes

Diagnosed at age 10, now 67, no complications. Rarely to never exercise but stay trim. One shot a day until 27, then multiple shots and glucose-checking, then finally, about 20 years ago, switching to the pump and a couple years ago adding a CGM. All it requires is attention, almost hourly, but it’s been my life as long as I can remember. I, too, wish there were a special place for all us long-haulers to chat.

1 Like

Your story sounds like mine. (See post way below.) I too have had Dupuytren’s, many trigger fingers (I type for a living) and two frozen shoulders but none of “the big stuff.” My eye doc says he can’t even see diabetes in my eyes, after 57 years with it! How blessed are we. (Plus, I rarely to never exercise.)

1 Like

We do all have our stories!! I am grateful to have read what you shared, thank you for doing so!

1 Like