Type 1 & pregnancy

Donna, just want to say congratulations on your pregnancy! I’m in the preconception phase right now. For the past few months it’s been appointments with my endocrinologist, dieticians, maternal fetal doctors…It’s exhausting at times but very worth it! I’m checking my sugar 7-8 times a day and writing down everything I eat. I was told that my Ha1c had to be 6.0 or less before I would be able to conceive…It was a little daunting. But, my last one was 5.9 and I’m so excited and a little scared at the same time. I have one daughter, and pregnancy was hard work, but I’m ready to try again! Hang in there!

I did not have any problem concieving … I knew I had to keep the HA1C as low as possible for the baby’s development and believe me, I have tried so hard. What I found hard was to keep it consistantly low when all I want to do is EAT! I also had an interesting experience with morning sickness. What kept me from getting sick was eating. Every hour or two I would feel nauseus - and the only thing that helped was to eat. So - 6.3 was not bad, despite all the food I was eating. I am hoping that my next one in April will be the same or better, but I am going through the munchie phase again …

I visited my doctors and planned accordingly for about 6 months. Best of luck to you - I am sure it will happen soon! Were you pregnant when you had your first daughter?

Jen and Donna, I just noticed this discussion is about a year old. I’m a type 1 diabetic going through my first pregnancy and I’d love to hear how things turned out for you both. Very, very well I hope!