Type 1’s, how many carbs do you eat/day and what is your A1c?

Terry - Now that I know just how damaging polyunsaturated fats are, I avoid them like the plague. Could I tell if someone grilled a steak in some? Not likely, but then I generally grill my own steaks. Like you, my preference is for Coconut oil, butter, and olive oil.

Why are PUSF’s are so dangerous to eat? Especially when we’ve been told to cook with and eat Crisco, Soybean oil, Corn oil, Canola oil, “Vegetable oil,” Margarine? They’re chemically unstable, and are easily oxidized.

Oxidized fats are dangerous because they’re inflammatory, and inflammation contributes to just about every chronic disease you could name, including heavy-hitters like obesity and diabetes, not to mention hypertension and liver damage.

You are posting a link to a site by Dr. Jockers, whose bio reads like this:

Dr. David Jockers is a doctor of natural medicine, functional nutritionist and corrective care chiropractor. He currently owns and operates Exodus Health Center in Kennesaw, Georgia. He has developed 6 revolutionary online programs with thousands of participants.

He is not a cardiologist.

On the other hand, there are organizations of cardiologists who are recommending that reducing the consumption of saturated fats helps reduce risk. Organizations such as the American Heart Association, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, the American Dietetic Association, the British Heart Foundation, the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Medicine, the World Heart Federation, and many others.

Anyway, everyone can choose their own path. But I just hope everyone does their own research, and I hope it works out for everyone.

Exactly :grinning:

Here are some much smarter people than me who are MDs, Endos, & PhDs’. All follow either a LCHF or Keto diet, and can be followed on Twitter (there’s no space between the “@” and the twitter handle)

Fraser Gibb @ drfrasergibb
Ben Bikman @ BenBikmanPhD
David Unwin @ lowcarbGP
Jeff Stanley @ JeffStanleyMD
Jake Kushner @ JakeKushnerMD
JC Vauthier @ JcVauthier
Keith Runyan @ KeithRunyanMD
Jason Fung @ drjasonfung
Tim Noakes @ ProfTimNoakes
William Curtis @ NRGTrib
Andrew Koutnik @ AKoutnik
Andreas Eenfeldt @ DietDoctor1
Ted Eytan @ tedeytanblog
Gary Taubs @ garytaubes
Ted Eytan @ tedeytan

And here’s an article just published today in Diabetes Daily
“Diabetes Diet: Everything you need to know”

It includes links to a variety of diets including Low Carb, Paleo and Keto

Jello Jim. Here to pick your brain some more. I have been on a pump for probably 10 years. Had to go back to Medtronic due to Medicare. Was on Omni pod which I liked a lot more. My insulin/carb ratio is 6/1. In the morning my BS rises even with no food. So I have to cover for nothing. My basal changes all the time. Had it down to 17 U but just came back from a cruise. I did ok but we were on late dinner and I don’t do well with eating late. I have been relatively low carb for most of my 14 year diagnosis. Did try more Keto but high fat makes me go real low and the rises up hours later. Did you experience this when you started Keto ? I did dr Bernstein when first diagnosed. But deviated and then back. No discipline I guess. I just seem to require a lot of insulin for anything I eat. Thanks for listening to me whine. How is weather up in Calgary? When I was a travel nurse worked with several nurses from there. Nice girls.

Good news update. Since posting this question about how many carbs you eat and A1c results, I have increased my net carbs from 30 up to 50/day and am finding this to be a very good fit. I have done keto/Dr. B for the past 5 years and it has worked well but I got tired of meat and developed some insulin resistance. In the past couple weeks I have added pinto beans (1/2 cup serving) and apple (1/2 apple with peanut butter and another with cheese) and my BG has been as good as when I did lower carb. Thank you for all the responses of how things work for you. Reading the tremendous variety of approaches and good A1c’s gave me encouragement to try for some variance in my own approach.

6 Likes

Hi Jane - Things in Calgary are nice - we finally had a beautiful fall day (72F), which is much nicer than the 2 feet of snow we had 2 weeks ago!

I have 10 or 12 different basal doses programmed on my pump, like you I have huge challenges with the dawn effect (at 3:30AM my basal dose goes from 0.400U/hr to 1.200U/hr to prepare for the 5AM spike). And just like you, I ingest no food when I get up - it’s all a result of cortisol and glucagon being dumped into my system (increased insulin resistance).

Once the morning has passed, my insulin/carb ratio is 1:15, about a third of yours.

I checked my basal records from a year ago when I was a carb eater, Total Basal was 19.3U per day. My average Total Basal dose over the past 10 days has been 13U/day (a 33% reduction). Adjusting basal doses is a slow and often tedious process as we all know :stuck_out_tongue:

Eating high fats isn’t an issue for me unless I ingest more than 20grams of protein at same time, which results in much longer digestion periods (10 hrs) and requires multiple (or extended) boluses. That said, I don’t see anymore spiking highs or disabling / dangerous lows.

Hope this helps, and I’d be more than happy to try to answer any other questions you might have.

Have a great day! :smiley:
Jim

Hi Marcia -

I’m curious about your development of IR. After 5 years on low carb / Keto, I’m sure you have some personal theories of what contributed to your increased resistance. Was it just a case of too much fat, or were you challenged to eat enough protein to maintain daily caloric needs?
Jim

Agree, A1c isnt the whole story… high activity level will necessitate more carb intake, sure. Also, you can achieve a low A1c (4’s to 5’s) with wildly ranging numbers from dangerously low to dangerously high (high std dev), as you can with a tight control and stable numbers (low std dev). Really need to consider both A1c and std dev to assess whether you are optimizing your personal therapy.

In the same vein, so to speak, “high carb” or “low carb” isnt the whole story either – there is glycemic index (GI) to consider as well… and not just the individual food items GI, but more importantly the Meal-GI, which considers food interactions as well. Combining a modest amount of fast carb with slow carbs, and buffers like meat and fat will slow those fast carbs down, lowering the overall Meal-GI (something “R” insulin users need to pay more attention to).

Other variables - Type of insulin to meal program, Type-1 or Type 2, LADA, Insulin resistance if any, etc. Lots of personal factors.

1 Like

Very Inretesting conversation! Thank u everyone for sharing ur ideas and experiences.

I have very complex GI issues and my gut is happier w a moderate to high carb diet. I’d like to try lower carb w more protein but low fat due to fat Intolerance isnt possible & my gut just isn’t happy therefore making me miserable w many symptoms due to such.

That said some days my carb Intake on a symptomatic GI day can be over 200 but I’m an experienced Pre bolus girl & by the time my many carbs reach my blood stream my Insulin is working so I maintain excellent time in range and an A1C of 6.2. So I think it’s workjng for me

I have to say I’m afraid of HFLC diets for me. Besides fat disrupting myGI system, I’m a cardiac surgical ICU RN, and in my experience and patient population, regardless of the fats ingested, fats of many types in addition to the saturated kind do contribute to cardiovascular disease. I have learned that some poor lifestyle choices cause problems coupled w many different types of fat which has made me shy away from a varied high fat diet for me w my other chronic illnesses I have no desire to add cardiac disease to the mix. I have enough to deal w!! I like my heart the way it is!! But that’s just my opinion and my experience. Fats of any type just mess w my GI system & make me feel like crap, and I’m not a big meat person either although I wouldn’t consider myself vegetarian or vegan!! I do like a good cheeseburger now & again!! But I like my carbs in addition to the good effects on my belly!! Haha!!

I’ve only been a surgical T1 for 5 yrs so developing it at age52, my dietary habits were ingrained at that point and I had already lived w my chronicGI issues for more than 30 yrs, so being stubborn and aware of what keeps my gut happy & maintaining a reasonable a1C& time in range, I think my current dietary practices work for me. And like others here, I believe the best approach is finding what works best for each of us!! Hope ur all having a great day!! HUGS!!

1 Like

Very interesting read. Thank you to all those contributing to this thread.
I was diagnosed with T1 almost 2 years ago at age 55. I’m vegetarian and have been repeatedly told not to count non-starchy vegetable carbs for bolus calculations. But I eat masses of vegetables. I recently started sugar surfing - see book by endo and t1 diabetic dr Ponder - without changing my diet, I’ve reduced my a1c significantly. 7.9 to 6.8 to 5.7.

I’m curios when you talk about low carb diets how you count non-starchy vegetables. I don’t eat bread, pasta, rice, things made with flour, but do eat nuts, seeds, eggs, soy protein, cheese, a couple of servings of fruit ( mostly berries) a day and lots of vegetables. I’ve made a dent in my a1c by sugar surfing but also by eating the same things in a variety of ways so I know about how much insulin I need. But I can’t figure out how to bolus for vegetables.
Your practice would be helpful to me because I don’t really know what IC ratio is if we’re counting carbs differently.

1 Like

Bonnie, it sounds like what you are doing is working great so perhaps no need to count the non-starchies in your case. I’m curious, do you eat starchy veggies too, like potatoes and sweet potatoes? I count the net fiber in non-starchy veggies and bolus for that.

Hi Jim,
I think the IR was caused by me eating too much fat but not sure. I had surgery this summer and was put on oral steroids which completely made diabetes control go haywire. After the steroid course was done I seemed to have residual IR that lasted for a month or so. Since originally posting this thread I have upped my carb intake from 30/day to 50-60/day and this seems to be working.

1 Like

I generally eat about 120 carbs a day. My A1c is 6.4 and I am happy with that. I am a vegan and have been for 35 years. I eat whole grain breads and pasta and potatoes whenever I want, although I usually plan my meals to be under 50 carbs. I don’t restrict my carbs, if I want more at a meal fine I eat more, or even more for a day. But usually if I eat a potato I will have something high protein to balance it. But my higher carb main meal is usually saved for once a day.

I would say I am not a high fat eater but I do love avocados and a handful of nuts! But I was taught a cupful of veggies is 5 carbs, but generally I use 5 carbs for 2 cups as a calculation. A bowl of lettuce I don’t count into my carb count as it’s so low and I’m already guessing at the amount when I eat a salad and what I put on it. Half a can of beans, a handful of carrots, onion, etc. So I count the beans and add 5 carbs for the veggies. But 5 carbs for 2 cups of mixed veggies is usually a good rule of thumb for me.

I don’t often eat starchy vegetables but when I do, I count carbs.
I’m curious when ppl talk about their daily carb intake whether they are counting vegetable carbs in some way

Very helpful Marie
Thank you

Not to be overly pedantic, but carbohydrates almost exclusively come from fruit and vegetables! I suppose eggs have a few, but almost all else come from plant sources. Sugar, corn starch, and bread flour are all vegetable products.

To specifically answer the question, I count all carbohydrates from all sources, including raw veggies and fruits. I subtract the fiber content of vegetables, and in some cases insoluble fiber if it’s listed on a product and I’m positive it actually won’t affect my BG.

I just looked up my AVERAGE daily carb intake is 78.
But that doesn’t mean I eat 78 in a day…

Would that include vegetables such as tomatoes and lettuce and peppers or whatever you eat for veggies?

Yes, not perfectly scientific on that average. But darn close.
I also bolus for protien/carbs with extended boluses (works good, and is easy with fiasp)

Thank you David
So for example a medium red pepper is 7 carbs and the fiber is 2.5 so you would bolus for 4.5 carbs? Am I getting that right?
I’m not referring to grains