Type 2 and "Syndrome X"?

Is there anyone else out there who is suffering from “Syndrome X” or “Metabolic Syndrome” disorders related to Type 2 Diabetes, like high blood pressure, lipids, cholesterol, triglycerides…? I’ve been reading a lot about these related metabolic disorders, and am dealing with them myself.

How do you deal? Diet, meds, exercise? Are you as frustrated as I am? Let’s talk!

YES!! Me!!!
See my discussion about Dunningans Syndrome which I have just been disgnosed with.
I am a type 1, not type 2 but I have been struggling with Insulin Resistance for a long time - I was taking more than 400 units of insulin per day!!! In the last year or so it was discovered that I have raised tricyclerides, my blood pressure has risen…it has been confirmed that I have PCOS…to have a diagnosis has been incredibly heartening and I would love to talk to other people that have similiar symptons.

Reading your description of Dunningans, it seems that they have similar symptoms but aren’t actually the same thing. Syndrome X is apparently relatively common to type 2s, and is often diagnosed even before diabetes… My mother was just diagnosed with Syndrome X but is only recently showing signs of prediabetes, while I was diagnosed diabetic 10 years ago. She and I have a lot of the same symptoms, just coming about at different points in our lives.

We do seem to have a lot of the same issues, though, and I’d love to hear how you are coping, and how things are going now that you have a solid diagnosis to work with!

Michelle:

I don’t know about Syndrome X, but I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high triglycerides, when high I was diagnosed with Type 2.

Me too. I’m taking 5 different prescriptions plus a handful of supplements twice daily… probably about a dozen pills AM and PM and more at mealtimes… Good grief sometimes I feel old. I was diagnosed with HBP before 35, triglycerides over 1700, and A1C of 10.5. And now I’m having trouble with some of my meds… sigh…

You sound like me. I am taking 7 prescriptions and a supplement. I think that I am too young (45) to be taking this many meds. So far I have not had any problems with my meds. (yet).

And imagine that children also have metabolic syndrome.

Is Insuling Resistance and Syndrome X the same? So many terms.

What supplements is everyone taking for this? I’m a type 2 with all of the other things you’ve listed that goes along with this syndrome. Seeing the doctor Wednesday and would like to be able to talk to him about this.

There is a good book related to this topic co-authored by Amy T at DiabetesMine.com (a TuDiabetes member as well!) called Know Your Numbers. To check it out, click here.

Yes, I am!!! I thought I was the only weird one with a Syndrome! I am on Byetta, Metformin, Zocor, Lisinopril, Vitamin D supplements, Calcium, low dose Aspirin, multivitamin, fish oil, Diachrome. Very good to know you all! And I am only 43 - young also. I will definitely look at that book!

High blood sugars will lead to high blood pessure and bad lipids so most of us have this.

I am a type 2 diabetic and had high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, IR, PCOS and slightly anemic due to PCOS symptoms (aka fibroids). I was very frustrated and then I began low carb dieting and all the above reversed. The fibroid/PCOS symptoms reversed due to both low carb and taking myself off the pill. I no longer take blood pressure medications and my doctor never put me on Metformin so, I control everything through low carb dieting, exercising and frequent testing. As a plus - I’ve lost 30 lbs so far and i continue to lose at about 1-2 lbs a week. Let me note that I have a significant amount of weight to lose and the above reversed even before the thirty pound weight loss so, although the weight loss helped the main factor was controling my glucose/insulin levels.

~Danielle