Type 2 Diabetes TOO is Serious

Things haven't changed in that people make comments that comparisons are made and a bunch of people come out of the woodwork to explain how the commenters comments aren't correct. To me, it's a pretty consistent dialogue. The misconceptions about the ease with which T2 can be "cured with diet and exercise", which is patently ****FALSE**** are a huge part of the image of diabetes put about by the media, public health advocates and, unfortunately, many health care providers.

I find that our community is pretty quick to react to correct these misconceptions and I think that's to the credit of the community. At the same time, we are HQ'ed in the USA where people are, in fact, free to say whatever misconceived notions they wish to do. All we can do is tell them they are wrong and post links to articles to show them how in the hopes of correcting the misconception. It would be great if everyone had a perfect understanding of all kinds of diabetes however that day appears to be in the future. I think that it's important to confront the misconceptions head-on rather than hiding from them.

I think that it's important to confront the misconceptions head-on rather than hiding from them. True, Acid. We will have to correct such misconceptions over and over again...

Unfortunately, freedom of speech in our countries is a double edge sword.....thus making it imperative to dot the Is and cross the Ts.

The assumption/misconception that one Type of D is worse than another "is the song that never ends...some people started singing it not knowing what it was..."

I don't want to get into a debate here, but as a Type 2 on insulin, who is not obese and fairly active, I'll add my two cents. As I said, I was neither obese (ever) not sedentary and was asymptomatic at diagnosis, so I was put on oral medications immediately. After four months, I had to switch to insulin because orals caused bigger problems than the one they were intended to treat. Note: these medications have side-effects that are often more dangerous than the diabetes itself.
Since Dx, my BG has been considered "controlled". After the initial A1c of 11.8, I have been tested every three months - A1cs of 6.5, 6.0, 5.3, 5.2 and 5.1. In that time, I have exercised at least 30min a day almost every day, often more. Despite all that, two C-Peptide tests taken 5 months apart seem to indicate a significant drop (50%) in my insulin production. My insulin needs have increased 100% (for the same food intake).

With all that, I feel lucky - I currently have no other "metabolic issues" that many T2's have. My cholesterol was only "elevated" at Dx and is now good without medication. No hypertension. No complications from diabetes. Still, I expect to remain on insulin, and probably more of it, going forward.

I think there is a lot of misinformation in the medical community and in the general public about T2DM calling is "essentially a lifestyle disease" or worse, a "disease of choice." It could be that for some weight loss and exercise may control or mitigate the disease; however, there are many for whom this simply is not true. There are several researchers that say that weight gain is a symptom, not a cause, of T2 and is, therefore, virtually unavoidable for some people with T2. Yes, I know people who lost weight and started exercising and stopped needing medication for T2. I also know people who did that and later in life had an interruption (like a broken hip) in their program and immediately had to go on insulin (even without changing diet or gaining weight). The underlying problem doesn't go away.

You know, it's funny. It's only been 16months since I was Dx'd. Prior to that, I read all sorts of papers saying "do this to avoid Type 2 diabetes." I didn't want diabetes and even though it doesn't run particularly strongly in my family, I did many, if not all, of those things. Guess what? It didn't help. Despite all this - I can't remember ever thinking that someone who had Type 2 diabetes was "AT FAULT" for getting the disease. Unlucky, maybe? Unfortunate, certainly. But not at fault. Lots of sedentary overweight people don't get it. Some do. It happens, and it is very challenging.

I don't want to think which is harder T1 or T2. I don't want anyone to have to deal with either one of them. Meanwhile, reality is what it is. We all have challenges, and we all need to be sensitive to the challenges of everyone else.

Are we having fun yet? So far, I'm not.

There is some research exploring whether beta cells in T2DM are function, but being progressively "blocked" from producing (or releasing) insulin. If that turns out to be the case, there may be new therapies available at some point. Meanwhile, though, available insulin does become less over time in most, if not all, T2s - often, regardless of treatment or control.

me neither. well done on lowering your a1cs! you must feel a lot better!

your welcome. this "who´s got it worse thing" kills me. i can think of a million other diseases and lots of times id take my t1 over others. my friend has got MS and thats it, no control of how its going to turn out. at least with diabetes we can make an effort towards less negative outcomes.
im limited to three test strips a day and pay out of pocket for the other 3 or 4 i use every day. hate buying stuff from walmart, but, boy are their strips cheap! what is this roche strip card? will have a look!

Dave, I love to be in control, keeping data is fun for me. I have gone for 2 months on a carefully constructed 900 calorie-a-day, low carb diet and not lost a pound. I wouldn't have believed it, either, if I wasn't the one weighing and measuring everything. I'm glad it works for you, but the so-called "laws" of physics haven't worked for me.

900 calories might be a touch on the light side? I have been hanging out with some exercise people online and tracking my calories and find that if I don't eat enough, I don't drop pounds, perhaps because of a metabolic slowdown as those discussions have gone. They are recommending more like 12-1300 calories for women I think? It might be worth it to try tossing in an extra hunk of protein, maybe a couple of eggs or something like that to jack the calories up a bit and see what happens? I agree too with Dave about using an app. I use "Lose It" which is similar to My Fitness Pal but I like the food interface better as it seems like most foods have 'smart' portion sizing, cups of this and ounces of that, that make it really easy to input what I eat and, once you've input it once, you have your "diet" at your fingertips. I think that it's improved my carb counting and ability to control things. Every now and then, I'll have a day where I don't eat as much as normal and I can see a shortfall and make it up with something healthy. Or beer. But if I'm down calories, I'll get them somewhere.

Only been 16months for me since, 12 months, today, since starting on insulin; however, I am finding that weight loss on insulin is a lot more difficult than the usual simple eat less than you burn calculations. I gained 15-18lbs within the first couple months on insulin and have been trying to lose them back ever since....

I've never been obese, but have gained and lost some weight several times over the years and have gotten very good at the loss side of the equation, but my "experience" is not working now. My feeling is that there are some unknowns that change the "equation" for me in ways I have not figured out yet...

Im wondering if this is doing the low fat high carb diet or is across the board? Its good they dont wNt people to feel like they have failed! I appreciate thst!

Nicely put, Barko!

I see this and I remember my recently deceased mom. She told me when I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes to try and avoid insulin and to opt for pills for controlling my diabetes. Oh boy! How she was wrong? She was also diabetic and through out the years without the proper care from herself and with a mediocre of a general doctor( we had the same doctor until a certain point in which I realize that I needed better care and the jerk was not going to provided it for me in terms of medicine). I sometimes wonder if she was in fact a Type 1 instead of a Type 2. I try not to think of it too much because it brings me bad memories on her managing her health but is also serves me as a warning to take better care of myself, her case and several in the family.

To all TD2 just because you are using insulin does not mean you are not managing well you are diabetes. Is part of a bigger picture and do not get discourage! Just make sure you also put your 2 cents by eating healthy, be vigilant and have a open communication with the doc and working out in addition to your insulin( or whatever medical treatment that you have in addition to the previous and the following) and monitoring treatment.

Between my most recent A1C was of 5.8. For me I do not see diabetes as a curse. I think in part it did save my life from bad eating habits. Although with time I have confronted certain complications but I see it in a bigger picture. I do not want to give up on it and let it screw me over instead I will do whatever I can and in any possible way to not defeat me while I learn to take care of my body through this condition. I been living with it for almost 19 years will continue with it until the day I die unless there is a miracle cure ;) . Regardless of what type you are both are serious and demand our very close attention. :)

Well said, Lady. My beloved dad died of T2 in 1989 after a series of strokes. He had T2 and it was barely treated by our contemporary standards. And, worse yet, back in the 60s, we never talked about it---taboo.

One of many things TuD has taught me is to not be afraid of insulin. I do, however, think of The D as a scourge. But I also cope with fibromyalgia and arthritis, so The D was kind of a last straw. I do battle it aggressively. It's either that or "jump off a bridge" metaphorically speaking....Blessings.....

"Scourge" is a great word for it Elizabeth and I also agree with Lady Nononoke about the role it's played in getting me to eat healthier and, more broadly, understand what I do about food and nutrition.

Unfortunately this discussion revealed again the deep prejudices that do exist about T2 - even within our community. But we should now better and we should overcome our KNOWLEDGE RESISTANCE. Please watch the following TED speech and learn:

Holger....thank you so much for posting this video. Hopefully it will help dismiss the stigma associated with Type 2. Hopefully!!!

Katherine Marple posted it on Facebook yesterday and I thought this fits here. I wanted to add it to our video section but jrtpup already did that months ago.

I hesitated to post this, but decided on balance it was net benefit.

I joined this community just a few months ago. I was (and am) driven by a 180 turnaround in dealing with my diabetes type 2. Until this thread, I'd been an enthusiastic new member, embracing this community, and felt welcomed.

I still do, of course, and am not going anywhere. However, some of the things posted in this thread have made me feel second-class to type 1's. There's been just a hint of exclusivity, that T2's are "real" diabetics, that we aren't welcome because we can cure ourselves. Or, if not, it's our fault.

This made me sad, and angry. Ignorance is not a sufficient excuse for that sort of behavior. Heck, I welcome non-diabetics here too, if they want to learn, be more sensitive to diabetics, know what to do around diabetic co-workers, whatever.

Of course, a place like this isn't going to be very interesting to non-diabetics that don't have a PWD in their life. However, should/when someone like that shows up, they should welcomed with open arms.

It's a shame that these prejudices persist. T2's have plenty of the same things to learn as T1's, and well, maybe a few of us have a thing or two to offer too.

Thanks to most of you for making, and keeping TuD a place I look forward to checking in on every day.

Dave,
I am sorry you feel this way about some of the comments made here. I can understand how you would feel this way.

I should restate what I once said in connection with type 1 and type 2 diabetes:
Audio transcript from the video

There's SOOO much we can and should learn from each other. My hope posting this slide from a scientific conference, was to shed light on one of the key misconceptions surrounding T2: as has been pointed out here, the fact that Beta Cell function does start before the point of diagnosis. This is not a matter of belief, this is coming from the UKDPS trial conclusions. We still have too much to learn about diabetes (type 1 and type 2) so we should always remain open to the things we don't know (even more so when you consider that this study has been out there for nearly 7 years).

There is really no point in wondering which type of diabetes is worse or harder: NO DIABETES is good to have, for different reasons. We need to stop this absurdity if we stand any chance to move forward AS A DIABETES COMMUNITY. Uniting as a community is the first step to be able to have an effect on public health policies related to diabetes.

Most definitely, I hope everyone who embraces this notion and sees the importance in unity continues to gain from the support and understanding you have received in the community and continue to give back to it, so we may ALL grow as a family.

Hugs!