Type 2 diabetes?

I have been wondering about type 2 diabetes. I am a type 1 diabetic and have pretty much all the symptoms of type 2… I am also overweight and eat a lot. I get pain around my ankles a lot when I lay down or sleep. Is this a symptom? I am pretty worried about if I may have type
2 diabetes.

HELLO! I am a type 2.

First of all PLEASE EDUCATION YOURSELF ON DIABETES! The internet if full of resourceful information about Type 1 and Type 2.

What you mentioned are stereotypes. Just because you may be on the “chunky side” and “eat alot” does not mean you automatically a T2. Not every Type2 is overweight and eats alot. Pain in your ankles should be reported to your dr. or ENDO. increase your water intake. This is a symptom of all diabetics. There are some Type 1 folks that are on the chucky side too.

What type you may be will depend on how your body reacts to therapy more than how much you eat. How are you responding to your medications? What meds are you taking? How is your A1c? Have you had a c-peptide test? Have you asked your doctor if you were diagnosed correctly?

I’m sure I am type 1. I take meds for sleep and other ones too. They make me have cravings for food.

Hi Kasi,

Glad you posted, you have some very valid questions. I have been officially diagnosed as type 2 for about 3 years although it feels longer! Now I may be a little incorrect here (and someone please correct me if I am.) but there is generally a big difference between type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 is more severe of the two and usually involves insulin shots although some type 2’s do insulin shots as well as I have learned. I handle mine with medication, I use metformin as my med. notice I didn’t say “control”, I’m not the best diabetic otherwise I wouldn’t be on meds. lol personally I’ve never heard of a type 1 turning into a type 2 but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

As Christalyn mentioned, educate yourself a little more on the two. This will help provide better insite to your questions. Now I will admit I am a little confused, in your first post you said you are Type 1 but in your second you said you are sure you are type 1, have you been officially diagnosed and if so what did your doctor diagnose you as? Lets start there.

In the meantime, if you haven’t been officialy diagnosed, I would suggest a visit to your doctor and have a discussion with him/her about your questions. more than likely an A1C will be scheduled which will start the ball rolling on an official diagnosis. You can also pick up the Bayer A1C test from Wal*Mart or Wallgreens provided you have one in your area or they carry it. I know the ones in my area does.

Next, I would start evaluating your diet and exercise. You don’t have to make drastic changes immediately but start with simple things, go for a walk every day and cut down on the carb intake and sugars. Carbs are the “secret ninjas” that really mess with you, think of them as the slow release sugars. Carbs are designed to give you energy over time and this can elivate your BG levels and keep them there. look at the lables on food and try to avoid high carb foods like chips, candy, soda, ect. It’s hard but you can do it.

After you discuss this with your doctor and a plan is set in motion you’ll be able to better adjust your lifestyle. I’m not going to tell you its easy but it can be done. Right now the main things you should do is research, talk to your doctor and find out for sure what type you are. Then you can go from there.

Well, let me pipe in here. What is type 1 diabetes? Well, we generally consider it to be an “absolute” insulin deficiency caused by an autoimmune attack. We can quibble about the details, but that is basically it.

What about type 2? What is type 2? Well, here we have a lot of problems. Most of the time when we talk about type 2 we are talking about people who have insulin resistance. But in fact, Ralph DeFronzo in his 2008 Banting lecture lists eight different pathways that cause problems in type 2 diabetes, only one of which is the classic insulin resistance. In practice, type 2 is NOT diagnosed by testing for insulin resistance. It is diagnosed by exclusion. If you have a high blood sugar and you don’t have T1, then you have T2.

That being said, perhaps you are asking the question, can someone with type 1 have insulin resistance? The answer is yes, they can have the same sorts of problems that present in someone who has type 2, and they can also develop insulin resistance for a number of reasons just being a type 1

Reasons you can have IR as a type 1

High blood sugars cause insulin resistance

High insulin levels cause insulin resistance

Absorption problems cause insulin resistance

Weight gain causes insulin resistance

You can probably list more, I’m just sayin.

So even if a Type 1 is insulin resistant, they still only have Type 1 and not both Type 1 and Type 2? I guess it’s impossible to know whether htey have the genetic makeup of a Type 2 if they are not producing their own insulin.

To the above posters, you can’t “switch” from Type 1 to Type 2 unless you’ve been misdiagnosed (and I have heard cases where teens are misdiagnosed as Type 1 and then years later re-diagnosed as Type 2 and taken off insulin, but it’s not that common). However, as bsc said, you can develop insulin resistance as a Type 1. In this case I would have thought you’d have “both” Type 1 and Type 2, but maybe not.

Kasi,
You’re doing so well with a 6.4 A1c and on the pump.
You will have more and less and maybe no insulin resistance during your life with diabetes. It changes. bsc has said it all!
Exercising is a great thing to do to help the muscles of the leg move blood that gets pooled by the ankles. Even a few min. a few times a day of exercising ankles can help. Some exercises are:
Sitting with legs extended, move both feet (only) in a circle 15 times going around right; 15 times going around left.
Sit, bend 1 knee, and hold the bottom, main part of the foot, as close to you as possible. Count 15. Repeat with other foot.
Sit, remove sock, pick up 20 marbles, one at a time, with the toes. Put each marble in another pile. Repeat with other foot.
These are just fun exercises, but they keep your ankles supple.
Keep on with the pump. You’ll be SO happy you did when you look back years from now!

Blood Sugar 101, much of it online, can tell you about Type 2.

Hi I’m a t2 and I weigh 110 pounds. I never had pain in my ankles? Humm my symptoms before dx were thirst getting very sleepy after meals almost where no one could wake me, seeing double, peeing a lot, I even had vomiting. I believe everyone is different. I believe there’s a test your doc does that confirms t1 or t2. I know its a blood test. Have your doc give you the test to clear up any questions you might have. I was very surprised when I got dx as a diabetic. I knew something was wrong and it centered around food, I just didn’t know what. Sometimes my feet tingled and felt funny. Also before dx I noticed my feet would turn bright redish purple. It was so strange. But the only way you will really know is getting the blood test. Make a appointment right away so you can know the truth! That’s very important. Its all about the blood not the symptoms cause you will have certain things in your blood if your t1. So do it right away! Good luck to you and let us know your blood results.keep us posted.