Type 2 diet only and suffering hypos?

Hi, very new to all this and feeling confused, I have been diagnosed for 3 months with type 2 diabetes and have been trying to control this with diet alone, I have been having hypos this week 3 in total, my bloods go to around 3.4 and even lower and I feel all the symptoms, shaking, sweating, confusion. I have had hypos before diagnosed as I have these symptoms and needed sugar to feel better previously to being diagnosed. I’m confused as everywhere I read it states type 2 sufferers can only have hypos if they are on medication?? This is not the case for me anybody else with type to diet only have hypos??

Thank you for any advise
Heidi, 38

Can you share what foods you ate before low? Were you exercising ? Are you doing low carb or taking any supplements since diagnosis?

To be honest my diet hasn’t been great over Christmas pre Christmas I was low carbs and managing my bloods pretty well. My bloods on waking we’re 6.8 then I had 2 boiled eggs and 1 slice brown toast, at lunchtime I had 1 piece of cheese on toast and some Pringle crisps( at 12 oclock ) then I had hypo at around 4.30. I work in a shop so on my feet and active all day.

I’m thinking is the fact I’m having more carbs again making my bloods peak than drop?

Sounds like reactive hypoglycemia. Reactive hypoglycemia is an over reaction of the bodies reaction to carbs. Insulin resistance plays a role in it. As carbs, especially a higher number of carbs, are introduced insulin resistance makes it hard for your pancreas to keep up, if your beta cell still have a fair amount of function eventually they will catch up and will at times over shoot the target, this is when you go low.

This is not a normal occurrence, the suggested remedy is to maintain lower carbs.

Very scary when it’s happening think I was just more worried as everything I read said I shouldn’t get hypos, I will read up more on reactive hypoglycaemia.

So lower carbs and I’m thinking snacking little and often should hopefully help.

Thank you

You should speak to your doctor about this.

This is not really a good prescription if, as Gary suggests, it is reactive hypoglycemia. The issue isn’t that your body needs carbs to stay “level,” but rather that your body is over-producing insulin in response to the carbs you’re eating. Snacking is fine if you can make it work, but it won’t help with this issue. RH happens when you eat a lot of carbs in a meal and your beta cells over-compensate for high BG.

The normal treatment for RH is restricting carbohydrate intake to very low levels and reducing the body’s insulin resistance. The latter part usually means losing body fat, increasing exercise, and timing when you eat to match your body’s cycles (many people, myself included, have more insulin resistance in the morning).

As Gary suggests, talking to your doctor is key. But, 3.3 mmol (40 mg/dL) is really low, and generally more serious than typical reactive hypoglycemia from what I’ve read and seen. If you aren’t taking any medication at all, you should very likely see an endocrinologist. Blood sugars that low in people not insulin-dependent can be an indication of something more serious than reactive hypoglycemia, including serious pancreas disorders, cancer, or extreme dehydration associated with alcohol use disorders.

@Heidi7 - I’m inclined to believe you’re eating refined grains (bread) and Pringles (garbage processed food) both of which have a high glycemic index (white bread has GI = 75, Pringles = 59). The result is it causes your pancreas to overcompensate for the carbs, and ultimately you suffers lows several hours later (this is what @Stemwinder_Gary was referring to as reactive hypoglycemia). The problem can be controlled by eating less in the way of refined grains (breads) and try to avoid food with higher glycemic index.

I know it’s scary, especially when you aren’t accustomed to lows like that. Please take care -
Jim

I will see a doctor and follow your advice low carbs thank you

Thank you to all who have replied, great advice and certainly I will fastly improve my diet and lower my carb intake, I previously did this and stupidly let it slide over the Christmas period.

Just re read my first message and was meant to say 3.8 and lower not 3.4 my apologies.

It is probably reactive hypos from too many bad carbs. Many pwd have that. I am type 1 and I had bad hypos, 38 the lowest, 15 years before my diagnosis. It was not reactive or some other condition, but you should check out other possibilities. My lows then were nothing compared to lows on insulin.

At the time I was told to eat some protein, fat, carbs and eat smaller frequent meals. Now I know it was a sign of type 1 and problems with bg regulation. And maybe also of hashimotos as well. I have read other accounts of type 1’s having hypos as before diagnosis.

I have severe reactive hypoglycemia and have almost passed out numerous times and actually did once. It’s very scary. I’m seeing an endocrinologist in 2 weeks. From what I understand the best way to treat this is
A) no simple carbohydrates
B) eat limited whole grains with plenty of protein at each meal
C) if possible wear a device such as Dexcom which will warn you when your sugars are dropping.
D) Watch your total carbohydrate values at each meal.
Many carbohydrates are hidden. Fruits and some vegetables contain high carbs such as root vegetables.
E) An older diabetic medication called Acarbose may be recommended by your doctor as a way of helping to stop carbohydrates being absorbed when you eat a meal containing carbohydrates.
This is an area of diabetes which is still widely unknown and happening to a great number of Post Gastric Bypass patients who had been diagnosed with type II diabetes prior to the Bypass surgery. Reversing the surgery has not been proven fully successful although some patients have been helped by the reversal.
Be very careful with your high and low glucose swings as it reaks havoc on your organs and may cause nerve damage.
I hope this helps some of you…
Best of luck

I’m Canadian and my lowest reading was 1.8 mmol/L. Since then I‘ve had many readings in the 2.5 range. I carry Dex 4 Glucose tablets with me at all times. For me there is definitely a problem with my pancreas overreating and sending too much insulin. This is a direct tesult of having had Roux-en-y GB. Even 1/2 cup of milk can send my sugars high and subsequently send me into a low. I’m not overweight and I know I eat too little because of the fear of swings. My total caloric intake currently is around 700 calories a day. When I don’t eat I don’t have lows. Exercise is also a contributing factor that can send me into a low. Has anyone else experienced this post Post Gastric Bypass?
Thanks

Unusual to hear about hypos from type 2 diet only. However, never say never , I had a couple of hypos when I was on my type 2 diet but I was also exercising quite vigorously at the time.

Hi Heidi.
How many meals do you have per day? Do you snack in between meals? How’s your sleep: going to bed before or after 23h00? Do you wake up in the middle of the night? How’s your stress level? High, moderate, normal or low?

What about the good old fashion , “might be over-medicated,” response. Are you taking any medications? Do you need to lower the dose? Lets get the basics covered before jumping into stress and diet and all that jazz.

Hi, no medication and haven’t had any gastric ops.