Type 2 new to CGM. Getting a G5. What to expect?

I am a T2 who has been using the Omnipod almost sine they first came out. I should be getting a G5 in a couple of weeks. The rep said they are on backorder until 11/11. I have never used a CGM and am interested to know how my body responds to food and boluses in real time in order to hopefully gain a little better control over my BG. My A1Cs are generally good, ranging from 6.1 to about 6.4. I have been below 6 before and would like to get back down there. I’m wondering what sort of post-prandial ranges people experience and find acceptable. I normally test two hours after eating, so I don’t know how high I get before the bolus takes effect. Also, I have seen where at least some here still depend on finger pricks in certain situations. So, I’m wondering about peoples’ experiences and how a CGM has enhanced their control

Congrats on getting a CGM! I’ve had a Dexcom (G4) for around 2.5 years. Been on a pump since last year. Though the pump has helped me eliminate some regular lows I was having without sacrificing my A1c (much), of the two, the CGM has been the biggest help! It has provided both helpful information in managing my BG (and my meals) and peace of mind to allow me to be more aggressive in treatment/care even exercise.

Before allowing a CGM, my insurance insisted that I do a 1-week trial. That week alone was an eye-opener! I discovered spikes at the 1-hour point that I had no clue were happening, as well as overnight lows that I had been sleeping through. In addition, I was able to pinpoint the time my BG rose in response to DP (presumably). The information that I’ve gotten from the CGM helped me to more quickly nail down pump settings, especially basal rates, and to verify those settings periodically with little hassle.

I have seen remarkable accuracy from the Dexcom G4 - and I understand that the G5 supposed to be even better. I hope your experience is as good as mine with it. Yes, I still rely on finger pricks much of the time for treatment decisions, but, as many do, I find that I can (and have) relied on the CGM at times with good results. Note that this is not (yet) recommended by Dexcom, and I am sure your medical team will tell you to continue to use your meter. Remember also, you have to calibrate it twice a day with your meter, as well.

I was (and am still) terrified of needles, and find the sensor inserter a bit scary - but the benefit that I have had from it helps me get thru the process – and truthfully, most of the time, the fear is worse than the bite – I can barely feel it go in. My A1c since starting with the Dexcom has stayed between 4.9 and 5.3. (My Dx is Type 2).

I’ve read this before from other T2Ds, amazing control when using the tools available. Not that it’s easy, mind you. I shake my head when insurance companies and other gatekeepers don’t allow people with T2 to use currently available off the shelf D-tech. You know it’s not only cheaper in the long run but provides tremendous quality of life benefits. Good for you, @Thas!

Thanks, guys. Very encouraging. I also suffer from DP, I believe, and use a higher basal from about 3-6 am. Hopefully, I’ll be able to tweak that and maybe find I need some other time-specific basals with better info.

What to expect. Expect to have everything you know about how your body deals with food changed in a good way. I’ve been a T1 for 32 years and have had the G4 for a bit over 3 months. It will give you a very real and workable picture of your health. In my opinion (always ask your Dr. or Endo) you can not only see trends more accurately but most importantly you can see how just say a cold, stomach bug etc affects your blood sugar and how your diabetes medication brings down your sugars… (I’m sure we all know how a sick day of any day can wreak havoc on our control) My only recommendation as far as the Dexcom goes is the sensor insertion. I know they (Dexcom) say it’s only supposed to be used on the stomach but I’ve had poor success with it there. I’m also very skinny which makes real estate for insertion hard. I wear mine on the upper part of the arm (back) think where a Dr or parent would pinch the back part of your arm to do a shot (reverse side of bicep) I’ve had a sensor last 25-26 days there opposed to no more of 7 on the stomach. If your sensor is working fine when it says to remove it, don’t you can just restart the sensor and act like it’s a new one… it’s works like a charm and saves on the pocket (and anxiety over inserting it though it doesn’t hurt, just a pinch) Steer Clear of muscle, wherever you decide to place it make a muscle and make sure there is enough space between the skin and muscle to the wire does not graze the muscle. If this ever happens I recommend removing the damn thing and call Dexcom tell them you had a bad insertion and they will replace it, that easy. Just say you were using it in your stomach not an alternate placement as they will spend 20 minutes explaining why (cost too much to get FDA approval on other sites is what it boils down too) If you do decide to tough it out you more than likely will get a lot of ??? readings and gaps in readings. If you have any questions please ask.

Sincerely,

Tom Dugan
T1 since 1984
Meters: Dexcom G4, Verio IQ
Insulin: Afrezza 4U & 8U, Toujeo U300 Insulin
Hba1C: most recent 6.4, 3 months prior 7.7, 3 months prior 9.4

9.4 was prior to being on Afrezza
7.7 was the day before I got the Dexcom
6.4 was 3 months after the Dexcom

Presently my Dexcom says my 3 month average is at a 5.9 lowest I’ve ever had it. Proof is in the puding as they say!