U500 and correction factor time

I’m sorry, I don’t. I’m sure it has been mentioned before, but like I said, I’m paraphrasing here. The presentations get redundant and monotonous, but there’s always just enough new juicy tidbits to listen to a new one… but just once!

I do know some studies say as many as 92% don’t reach treatment goals. The actual number is probably less, but since these numbers aren’t actually reported in any reliable way… Who knows? It is totally “normal” for Type 2s to be uncontrolled, and I largely think even the doctors give up on them. Again, because of the “it’s your fault for not putting in the work” blame game. All we can really know it’s that, clearly, not enough are on insulin. Doctors and patients alike are terrified of insulin.

Tandem knows that these evolving closed-loop systems can bridge the gap and make insulin less intimidating for all, opening up a giant market.

I am a type-2 and have been on a pump with U-500 for over 10 years.
U-500 is a very slow response insulin for boluses.
Your bolus will take around 6-8 hours to peak
This means when you take your lunch bolus most of the effect will be for your dinner bolus. So you always having to be thinking in the future tense.

It also means be careful about your dinner bolus as you do not want to go low later during the night.

Also be careful about stacking as the insulin is slow to respond one tries to take extra U-500 to bring it down.

You have to be patient with your adjustments with U-500.
You also have to be thinking about your pump setting with U-500 since pumps are designed for U-100 insulins.

I am on a Tandem X2 Slim with the new software that adjust the basil and bolus amounts automatically and it’s been working really great for me, however, there are some setting tricks that you have to do because on how slow U-500 is and the Tandem software is geared for U-100. It took me awhile to get it adjusted.

I believe that insulin pumps are the way to go even with type-2 and of course with U-500 the only way to go.

U-500 users are a very small group so if you have any questions for me please don’t hesitate to contact me.

3 Likes

This would be my greatest fear with U500 especially when trying to make a correction bolus. I can easily see a scenario where blood glucose spikes because U500 was not fast enough or pre-bolused early enough. Making corrections before U500 has reached its peak seems like a disaster in the making.

@Peter1 how do you handle it when the need arises to make a correction bolus?

@Dennis4 what insulin pump are you using? Is it similar to what @Peter1 uses, It occurs to me that Peter may have the practical experience you seek.