UK's NICE guidance update recommends for & against Medtronic CGM?

Today Google tossed an article (link below) from the site “Fierce Medical Devices” (??? :confused:) in my general direction.

U.K.'s NICE recommends Medtronic MiniMed auto-insulin shutoff for hypoglycemic Type 1 diabetics

The article also included a link below to the actual NICE recommendation.

NICE diagnostics guidance [DG21] Published date: February 2016 — Integrated sensor-augmented pump therapy systems for managing blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetes (the MiniMed Paradigm Veo system and the Vibe and G4 PLATINUM CGM system)

And the link below is to the corresponding Medtronic press release.

NICE Recommends Medtronic Integrated Sensor-Augmented Insulin Pump As the Only Therapy System to Manage Glucose Levels in Type 1 Diabetes

Paraphrasing/quoting from the article, NICE refers to the “National Institute for Health and Care Excellence”. It is apparently the bureaucratic part of the United Kingdom’s NHS (National Health Service) which decides what the NHS can spend money on. The article characterizes NICE as “notoriously tight-fisted”. :smirk:

What’s curious about the recommendation is that it is not exactly a glowing one. While it recommends Medtronic’s Paradigm Vao … which is sold as the Minimed 530G in the US … it seems to be with a number of caveats.

There are a lot of different claims among the three different articles about what is being said and they didn’t all line up for me. Guess I’ll just have to go through it when I have more time.

1 Like