Ultra quick response from Dexcom …

I know that a lot of folks have had delays in getting supplies from Dexcom and Dexcom’s third-party suppliers.

While my experiences have not always been great, I recently had a VERY GOOD response from Dexcom.

On Monday, February 17 (Presidents Day) I experienced a G6 transmitter failure while in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone National Park. AT&T has terrible coverage in YNP, so I had to wait until returning to the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel to call Dexcom from a land line … very close to the end of the business day in California.

My timing challenge was that I was leaving by snow coach early on Wednesday morning for a Yurt Camp near Canyon Village that has no cell phone coverage, no electricity, no mail or FedEx and is 3 hours by snow coach from medical care or emergency services.

Impressively, Dexcom and FedEx were able to get a replacement transmitter to me by shortly after noon on Tuesday! As a result, I was able to spend 8 days at the yurt camp, several of them cross country skiing, with full CGM data and Tandem Basal-IQ.

I consider myself very fortunate to have had that great experience at a time that was important to me and thought that I would share that impressive support with all of you.

May all of you T1D supplies be delivered on time.

Thanks,

John

7 Likes

Good responce

Yay Dexcom, and quite the outdoor trek for you–yay you for not being held back! Question though: transmitter failure, per se, is pretty unusual. I take it you weren’t just hitting the end of the firmware battery limit? Because if I was on a journey like that I’d carry backups of everything, including a transmitter battery unless it was a relatively new one. Part of what gives me trepidations about going too far off the grid with this disease is having to be prepared for failures of stuff you wouldn’t normally expect.

DrBB:

Yes, I think that a transmitter failure IS pretty rare. I’m my case this was my first G6 transmitter because I’m in the Medicare G5 to G6 upgrade process. This transmitter failed after something like 23 days of activation. While I had intentionally not switched from G5 to G6 for a couple of weeks so that I could carry an extra sensor, even adding that time, the transmitter was nowhere near it’s time limit. In fact, Dexcom wants it back for a postmortem.

While I try to carry backups of everything, I don’t have a backup transmitter and have never tried a transmitter batteryectomy.

Thanks for your comments,

John

DrBB et al:

In terms of off-the-grid, I know that some do not like the USB rechargeable batteries found in the Dexcom and t:slim.

I carry a 20,000mA-hr Anker power source that does a fine job of charging my t:slim every 3 days and my iPhone with the Dexcom app every day. And, if need be, the snow coach 12V batteries were available.

Thanks, John

Yeah, those are hard to come by, and I’m not usually equipped to add one to my extras supply when traveling. What a lousy time to have one of the rare crap-outs! Glad Dexcom were able to get one to you in those circs.

My experiences with Dexcom customer service have been pretty good