Unable to Pump- can't use syringes- where to next?

I’ve been diabetic for almost 10 years, and I’ve never been a pumper, mostly due to neurological sensitivities (CGMs as well, no good on my body).

So for almost ten solid years I’ve been injecting the old fashion way with 1/3 CC 31 gauge syringes. I eat between 40-60 net carbs per meal and my I:CHO ratios are 7 / 8 / 8 humalog with 21ui lantus night time. All would be well if I could continue this routine, however, Japan does not allow the sale of syringes for diabetes care, so my next venture will be insulin pens.

I had one bad three month long experience with Humalog Quik Pens. I’d dial out 6 units for lunch time, but my post lunch and pre dinner BGs would be way off- as if I didn’t inject enough insulin. That happened way too often… I was on pens no more than 3 months before I went back to syringes.

I would rather not repeat that experience, but it’s time to start looking into insulin pens. I’ve heard there are pens out there that can deliver half units, and I’m really hoping to find a pen that is as accurate in the delivery of insulin as possible. That said, I also have to find something that is sold in Japan, but I’ll try to find out what is available as best as I can (that dreaded Humalog Quikpen IS available… but I’d rather stay away from it).

So if any of you has a recommendation for a insulin pen that might fit what I’m looking for, let me know!

hi! i have got an apidra solostar junior pen. it is supposed to be for pediatric patients, but i eat low carb and so its great for me-and anyone who wants more than a 1 unit precision. the pen is a forever pen and you get the cartridges to put inside it.

this is a video that shows you how easy they are to work. they are doing it with novolin insulin and so theyre mixing it up as well. i have found my apidra pen to dose accurately and its really easy to use. im in spain and they became available a couple of years ago.

I like the novolog pens better than humalog … But I rarely use it either anymore now that I have afrezza— don’t think that’s available in Japan though.

Thanks-

I think something like a junior pen would probably help- I’m eating between 40-60 carbs per meal- really doesn’t matter as long as I can measure out .5 units. Accurate doses are also important of course! I’ve heard of digital pens that measure and also record the doses in case you forgot how much you took (useful for me because I use a daily log).

Not sure if I’m comfortable to change insulins until I get a bit of community support here. I have yet to meet any diabetics here yet, although I’m making an effort there.

novolog works like humalog. very few people can see a difference in the onset or duration. I’ve used both interchangeably in my pump. it’s no biggie to switch from one to the other.

What are neurological sensitivities ?..please explain. If you have never used a pump explain why it will not work for you?

I have used the junior pins, and yes you can inject 3.5 units but you cannot do a .5 unit injection with reliable results.

If there’s little change then I might make the switch to Novolog. I’m still working on finding other T1Ds here.

As far as neurological sensitivities, I won’t get too far into it but I’ve used something similar to a CGM in the past (just a device to measure my blood sugars every 30 minutes) and it caused so much irritation that I barely slept.

One other thing, I’m in Japan, and I’ve heard that insulin pumps are rarer than American football.