Understanding Why Older Adults With Type 2 Diabetes Join Diabetes Online Communities: Semantic Network Analyses

Great read!

2 Likes

Interesting study. I’m happy to read that the Diabetes Hands Foundation made this study possible. Their scientific conclusions are congruent with what many of us here understand on a gut level.

I thought they might cover more about the understanding of medical information made possible by community. Our time with doctors is so small. I think participating in a community online allows us to distill, synthesize, and add to the often incomplete info we get from our docs.

I believe that writing about our health and its implications allows us a way to process our health situation and come to a better understanding and acceptance of our health status.

4 Likes

First off, we need to know what is understood by “older adults”. Is it 60…is it 80?
As an 60ish older adult, I have to say that coming to a diabetes online community
is not for hand holding, but more for kindred community.

3 Likes

I love this … kindered community … well said! And yes, that’s a huge part of my participation … being/playing a part of a kindered community! :slight_smile:

I must say though, I do like helping, even if it means holding hands. I needed this when I was first diagnosed and am eternally grateful for all those who were there for me when I needed it!

5 Likes

Yes…I too would be much more likely to offer help, than to request it.

3 Likes