Unite with New Yorkers for CGMS coverage

If you are a New Yorker (or not) and have been denied coverage by insurance or would like coverage for the Continous Glucose Monitoring systems I have great news.

A friend of mine spoke personally to NY State Assemblyman Robert Sweeney last night. Here is what transpired.

Assemblyman Sweeney said that when he drafted the NY State mandatory insurance coverage diabetes laws, it was positioned as such that the NY State Health Commissioner AT HIS DISCRETION can add to the existing law, any diabetes product, medicine or technology that he deems necessary to be mandated for coverage by insurance companies. He does not even need an act of legislation, he can merely add to it.

Assemblyman Sweeney has contacted the Health commissioner asking to investigate if the CGMs warrant full coverage by insurance companies.

I was informed by my contact that we (NEW YORKERS) all need to send letters VIA SNAIL MAIL (NOT email, or fax) directly to the NY State Health Commissioner if you want your voice to be heard. If we respond in huge numbers he will hear us. RAISE YOUR VOICE.

Let Commissioner Richard Daines know that we are in support of his correspondence with Assemblyman Robert Sweeney that the Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems should be included on the list for mandatory insurance coverage in New York State.

Here is the mailing address:

Commissioner Richard F. Daines
NY State Health Commissioner
State of New York
Corning Tower
Empire State Plaza
Albany NY 12237

Also, I would like it if you could mail me a copy of your letter (address will not be displayed) as well, via snail mail, (you can contact me and I will send you my mailing address privately) or if you can make an electronic copy of your letter with your address whited out and send it to my email address gcapone1@optonline.net

I will post all the letters written (no addresses displayed) on the Diabetes Talkfest. Our voice will be heard!

State of New York
Corning Tower
Empire State Plaza
Albany NY 12237

Re: Sweeney Diabetes Law: Insurance Coverage of Continuous Glucose
Monitoring System

Dear Commissioner Daines:

I write to you in support of your recent correspondence from Assemblyman Robert Sweeney about including Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems as a mandated item for coverage by insurance companies in New York State.

I have been a Person With Diabetes for more than 25 years, and have benefitted over the years from new technologies as they become available, including things that many diabetics now take for granted, such as home blood sugar testing, new fast-acting insulins and the insulin pump. Today, virtually all medical professionals accept these new technologies as important, necessary parts of diabetic treatment.

In order to best maintain control of my blood sugar, I need to test myself more than 10 times per day, by drawing blood from my finger tips and other places. Generally, I only achieve moderate control because the finger sticks only give me a single snapshot, and do not tell me whether my blood sugar is stable, is rising or falling.

The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System is the next new technology. It is a new and useful tool in the treatment of Diabetes. It enables People With Diabetes to track changes in their blood sugar levels and see trends, minute to minute, to better learn how their bodies respond to their medication and food. It also helps those of us whose blood sugar swings dramatically based on small changes in exercise, medication, food intake and life have an extra level of protection against unanticipated hypoglycemic events.

With the benefit of the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System, People With Diabetes are able to make great strides in improving blood sugar control. The result is that we will be able to avoid the severe diabetic complications that impair many of us as time wears on, which, of course, will result in great financial savings from reducing or delaying the onset of expensive complications and treatments, in addition to reducing missed work-time because of treatment of complications.

I strongly encourage you to promptly add the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System to the list for mandatory insurance coverage in the State of New York.

Very truly yours,

Jonathan A. Olick

State of New York
Corning Tower
Empire State Plaza
Albany NY 12237

July 23, 2008

Dear Commissioner Daines,

I am writing to inform you that the Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems (CGMS) should be included on the list for mandatory insurance coverage in New York State.

My daughter has had Type 1 Diabetes for 5 years, she is now 14. We fight blood sugars that are too low or too high on a daily basis. Her endocrinologist has requested a CGMS and my health insurance company has declined it both times. Her numbers go very low and she does not feel it. Once she became so low we had to call 911. Conversely, she experiences blood sugars often in the 300-500 range. As a result she was late for school over 50 times last school year.

Type 1 Diabetes is a very difficult and challenging disease to live with. She and I constantly monitor her blood sugar levels, anywhere from 8 - 12 finger pricks per day, more when she is sick. Often I get up 2, 3 or 4 times a night, then go to work in the morning. Still her blood sugar will go very low and very high.

A CGMS would improve her glycemic control immensely. Instead of getting a blood sugar reading every 2 -3 hours, we would have a reading every 5 minutes. Instead of pricking her finger 8 - 12 times a day, we would only need to do it 2 -3 time to calibrate the CGMS. We would know when her blood sugar starts to drop or climb and be able to take action in minutes rather than hours.

Sincerely,

Jane Singh

My name is Amy Davidson. I am thirty-two years old and have had type 1 diabetes since I was seven years old. Growing up my parents and doctors taught me that if I was responsible and took care of myself and my disease I could live a long healthy life. I have always believed that. As I have gotten older I realize that there are some aspects of this disease that are harder to handle than others. I have had two vitrectomies, countless laser surgeries due to retinopathy and have developed protein in my urine. It has been scary, of course, but with research and technology we are slowly moving toward better treatments and hopefully a cure one day. Some may believe that insulin is a cure. It is not.

Five years ago, I switched from multiple daily injections to the insulin pump. I cannot fathom ever taking injection after injection after the freedom I have experienced since using the insulin pump. The insulin pump at one time was considered experimental. But, now it is mainstream tool in managing diabetes.

I am grateful for that technology.

I am writing to you because the CGMS is another tool that will help me live a longer, more productive life. And hopefully help me delay or fend off any further complications.

I test my blood sugar frequently (5-15 times daily), count carbs, adjust basal rates and insulin ratios, but sometimes that is not enough.

As I get older and the longer I have had the disease, my hypoglycemia has become less symptomatic. The lows I used to catch at 70, I may not feel until they are in the 40’s or lower I may go to bed at 90, wake up to test at 3am, have a 120 reading and still wake up at 8 am over 450.

If I wore a continuous glucose monitor, I would be alerted before my sugars get so dangerously out of range. This FDA approved device is always working. It does the job that intermittent finger sticks cannot.

I am begging you to make it mandatory for insurance companies cover this piece of potentially life saving equipment. I am begging you to give me the tools that can help me keep my sugars within range and therefore, the chance to have a family and grow old.

I am in support of Assemblyman Robert Sweeney’s correspondence urging that Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems should be included on the list for mandatory insurance coverage in New York State.

Very Sincerely,

Amy E Davidson

July 23, 2008

State of New York
Corning Tower
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12237

I am a type 1 diabetic for 44 years. Currently I have to test my blood glucose by finger sticks a minimum of 8 times a day to stay in moderate control. Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems would lessen the amount of painful finger sticks and keep me in tighter control lessening complications down the road which would save my insurance company money in the long run.

I am in support of Assemblyman Robert Sweeney’s correspondence urging that Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems should be included on the list for mandatory insurance coverage in New York State.

Sincerely,

Lorraine Wilson