Unplanned pregnancy with a starting A1C of 7.2

I just found out I’m Pregnant (approximately 5 weeks) and my last a1c was 7.2. I am on a Medtronic pump and CGM and am working to get my a1c down, but in my 27 years of being T1 it’s never been below 7. I haven’t been able to get in to see my endo or a high risk specialty OB yet (due to awful government health insurance). A lot of the discussions I’ve been ready are all with lower levels and healthy pregnancy. I’m not lazy by any means and work really hard to keep my numbers in check, but I also work 2 very fast paced hectic jobs so it’s hard For me to keep my bg so low to maintain under a 6 That I won’t drop into hypo’s while working. Is it possible to have a healthy pregnancy and baby with an a1c around 7?

1 Like

Hi @Amber.marie welcome to TuDiabetes! We’ve had a lot of women post here about pregnancy with a1cs not exactly where they’d like it to be and things turned out fine. I did a search of "unplanned pregnancy and here’s what came up

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/search?q=unplanned%20pregnancy

I would call your endo and tell them to please see if you can get in there asap. people cancel appointments all the time - ask to get on the list.

1 Like

I am 8 weeks pregnant now, but my a1c is 7.3. I live in Japan, so maybe my doctors have different expectations, but my Endo said this was fine. Of course I don’t want it to go higher either.
My last pregnancy my a1c wasn’t ideal either, and of course all the changing insulin needs added challenges. My baby was 10lb 4 oz, vaginal delivery, NO epidural. I wouldn’t want to do that again, but now I have a perfectly healthy and happy toddler.
Try not to worry too much, that won’t help either. Do what you can, and enjoy your pregnancy! Congratulations!

1 Like