Unsure of Dr's diagnose

No trenia, I'm not playing your shrink, but, seeing that you have nothing nice to add, please keep out of my discussion and DO NOT send me private messages! By the way, it's 'laollis'.

"lallois-thanks you dr for diagnosing me, now who you are playing?- psychiatrist?"

That is one of the weirdest side effects I've come across. Metformin has a number of common side effects, but as mentioned earlier, they are mostly GI related. I've never heard of metformin causing back pain. But there's an exception to everything, and a first time for everything. If it did, it did.

The only other angle that occurs to me is that, if I am reading your comments correctly, you stopped another medication at the same time as the metformin. If you haven't done it already, it's worth asking your doctor and/or pharmacist whether the OTHER medication could have been involved, and whether those two medications in combination could interact negatively. It does happen.

Hi David, I did stop irbesartan the same time as metformin. I also wondered the same thing, but, I had been taking irbesartan before the metformin and had no problems. I've had another person tell me that they didn't think the metformin was the cause of the back pain, and another person who told me they had awful muscle pains because of the metformin. I haven't started taking anything new for my diabetes, and for 2 days I tried a new med, amlodipine, for my high BP and that gave me a headache and made me real dizzy. I've quit that one too, as I can't stand the feeling of being in a fog. If I wanted to feel drunk and be disoriented, I'd go get drunk. ;-) Today, BP is averaging 154/86 and BG 123 - 138. I had an appt with my doctor for tomorrow, but it's been changed to May 1st. All in all, I'm feeling pretty OK today. Still trying to learn about carbs.

I understand. It's a puzzle, all right. But do look into the possibility of drug interaction. That is when two drugs individually are okay, but when combined, react with each other to cause a problem. Sadly, it's not unusual for doctors to prescribe two drugs that do that. Pharmacists and doctors are supposed to be alert to those situations, but sometimes they don't notice in time.