Update

It has not been easy these last couple of weeks. I have tried to write sooner but just unable to write about my new pump, the week before I started my pump therapy my mother passed away. Its been hard to deal with this and at the same time starting a pump program. I also broke the rule about staying in contact with my NP, its just been dark days.

So I started my new pump, the MM with the care link. so far I like it, just one injection every 2-3 days, the trainer that you have to meet was very good, cool thing was she was type 1 too, I was happy for that. I think I got most of the basics down, and the highest my test has been since I started the pump was 303(16 mmmol/l) with no tones. just once too. I have been checking my bs every 2-3 hours to make sure that I dont go into orbit.

Its been tough dealing with this pain. I have been updating my info to the care link and I had asked my NP not to make changes just yet because I haven't been to work all this time and also my sleeping habits are way way off.

In any case i need to say thanks to all of you folks (again) because If it wasn't for you all and this site I know for a fact that I wouldn't be on my pump and I probably be in the hospital right now with DKA. It really helps to know that I am not the only one out there and that people here care and want to help. thanks

I am so very sorry for your loss. You're going through so much right now! I hope that with time you find the pump really helps you with your diabetes management. Take care.

I am so, so sorry to hear about your mother. I wish you and your loved ones strength to get through this tragic loss.

As for skyrocketing BG's, mine were the same when I started pumping. People's insulin needs often decrease when they go from MDI to pumps, so the doctors/NPs/CDEs tend to crank down the dosage significantly until they figure out just how much you need. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get it right in time.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, what a devastating loss. I'm so glad to hear you started on your pump, and with a good trainer. You're right, your life right now isn't in a good place to start tweaking your pump; it takes time and focus.

Please keep us posted!

thanks, I will do my best to keep everybody posted...

Keeping you in my prayers..so sorry to hear of your loss.

God bless,
Brunetta

It's difficult enough adjusting to the fact that you need to be connected to a machine, without the devastating loss you went through at the same time. I'm certain however that you made the correct decision, I too have only recently started "pumping" and I now have much better control of my disease than ever before. I was also connected with a Continuous Glucose Monitor and the graphing and reporting data I get to see now helps me tremendously in controlling highs and lows. With help from my NP we made some adjustments and over just a few weeks I was completely able to level out the graph data and keep my BG between the desired limits. I know your Mom would want you to take care of yourself, so you should be thinking about going back to your NP and working through the data to get everything under control. I wish the best for you.

Keef

Thanks keef, As it is I have been in constant contact with my NP by e-mails and phone calls. Also with the MM my NP has my password to check out my data every couple of days too. Starting this new pump was scary at first but I really like the idea of injecting once every 3 days. I don't know why I waited so long to get one...

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. Stay strong! Joanne