Upgrading from 530G to 670G: Why the Larger Reservoir

More info on the screen, colours and alarms. I’ve gotten used to the size, but I still find the upright version awkward. Everything is upside down and I usually end up detaching from my pants to see properly and get all those buttons pushed. I also miss being able to just look down and see what time it is. Now I have to “wake” it up to see the time and it’s tiny.

I think if you don’t use the CGM sensors, it makes more sense to stay with the older versions.

If I would have to remove my pump from my waistband every time I interact with it, I’d be highly irritated, as much of the time, I just tilt my 551 and hit the buttons. Sometimes, I don’t even tilt it, as I don’t need to see the screen–I know the buttons by heart. D*mn Medtronic.

WARNING - SHAMELESS BOAST FOLLOWS…

I only ever touch my pump or look at the screen about every 5+ days when I change the reservoir. Using a DanaRS with AndroidAPS. The thing is less than half the size/weight of a Vibe or 640G with battery and a fully loaded 3 ml reservoir.

2 Likes

Cool!

Hello, fellow Looper! Like you, I rarely need to access my pump as almost all functions with Loop can be used from my iPhone. I’m keeping my eye on the Dana RS pump to be approved for use in the US. It would be nice to be able to Loop with a pump that’s under warranty. I love that the manufacturer of the Dana pumps honors and abides by the open source nature of pump communication advocated by the do it yourself community.

It is a real pity that Roche/Accuchek pulled out of North America in 2017. Here in Europe there has been a massive upsurge in the numbers of AndroidAPS loopers following the release of AndroidAPS for Combo. The Combo is still NHS-funded in moderate numbers in the UK and there are also a lot of functioning old pumps in people’ drawers. The numbers looping with Combo passed 100 in less than two months.

I know several people using Loop. It’s often the system of choice here because the majority of NHS-funded pumps are Medtronic, so if you can find a loopable x22/veo your supplies are funded.

Hi Terry,
I was just at a TCOYD spotlight series last night and it was the hottest things in type 1. This pump was mentioned along with those DIY loopers. I am also waiting to see if this hits the market before some of the other AP companies out there. Looking like it’s going to be a few more years🙁

1 Like

I don’t think the 670G feels that much larger than the 530, and if technically it is a little larger then I would say it is worth it for the better features, and definitely worth being able to get the Guardian CGM instead of the Enlite CGM. If it was larger like the size of a phone, then it would not be worth it, but that is not the case.

I don’t consider the Guardian to be on par with dexcom’s offering, and certainly not up to the accuracy (and ease of keeping a CGM sensor on one’s body for weeks at a time) of the G5. I haven’t used the G6 so I can’t speak to that. I don’t want any part of Medtronic’s sensors ever again. Been there, done that. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. And for the record, they got me twice already: first the gawd-awful Sof Sensors, then the slightly better but still awful Enlites. No communication with BT to smart devices, very lacking in range. NO THANK YOU.