Using an AED re: a pump or a cgm?

Last night I took a certification class for CPR and using an AED (mobile defibrilator) device..

In order to guarantee correct readings they advocated removing ALL electronics of any kind from everybody involved, whether as the receiver or the giver of said shocks/readings.

If you have a pump or a CGM do those require removeal; will they interfear with the electronic signals an AED provides/requires?

I was unsure, so thought I would ask my peers....

Stuart

Not according to the EMT that did my training but the person did not have an experience with a pump. I was also told that cell phones do not affect pumps and it all depends on the pump and the cell phone. I would call the pump company.

I would not think so. I do not use a pump, but I do carry a cell phone and have defibrillated patients with it attached to my hip without issues. The signal to shock is given directly thtough the wires, not via radio frequency. I would think that as long as you are not touching the patient being shocked, you would be OK. Just my unofficial opinion.

I am a paramedic and have yet to have a problem with it I have been on my pump for 4 yrs and had no issues with AED’s

I am a paramedic and CPR instructor with AHA…

The pump will not influence the shock advised or not advised of an AED…

Perhaps there was confusion about removing “electronics” per se’… what is taught by the AHA is the removal of all interfering skin patches, no matter the med it gives (aka, lidocaine patches, nitro patches, etc…) and to place pads at least 2 inches from internal pacer/defibrillators…

The reason this is done… to avoid interference with the electrical shock that goes through the body and to ensure that the impulse is delivered adequately… to directly where it needs to go (i.e., the heart)…

The removal of “electrical” devices is absurd… or it would imply that the pump, or cell phone, or what-have-you is electrocuting you or delivery some sort of electricity into you when used. False. You’d be better assured that a static charge from the carpet the dead guy’s lying on would be a greater impediment…

Done. :slight_smile:

And also… no, the “giver” of a shock does not need to change anything…

Other than get off a set of bleachers or out of the pond…