I’ve seen news articles that mention “potentially lethal injections” of insulin, but I’ve never read anything on just how big an overdose has to be before it is really dangerous. Does anyone out there know? Sure, it’s going to depend on lots of things, but just a ballpark figure… if it takes 1000 units or even 100 units I’m not going to worry about it, but if accidentally taking a bolus of fast acting rather than slow acting at bedtime is enough to be dangerous then it should be a pretty real concern for all of us.
A friend of mine who is a nurse was transporting a diabetic patient on an insulin drip when the IV malfunctioned. If I remember correctly the patient received a couple hundred units of insulin in a very short time, and survived. Of course, if you are going to have an accident like that, having it happen with medical staff beside you while in an air ambulance already on the way to the hospital is obviously a big advantage.