Vacation......Pump or Shots

We will be going on a trip late this summer (in August). Jackson has been saying he would like to try going on a pump, but I was woundering if it would be eaiser to travel on a pump or on shots. Shots require giving a shot every time you eat, but a pump would require packing a lot more packaging. We are currently using pens, which don't require as much packaging. I am not really sure want to think.........any suggestions........thoughts.........we are going to be flying so I don't want A LOT of baggage.

There's no law that once you start on a pump you can't go back. I think if you have until August you have time to get fairly comfortable with the pump. There is a learning curve. Airlines allow you to take an extra carry-on for medical supplies. As I said earlier, if he starts on a pump and you choose to do MDI on the trip, there's no reason not to. Love my pump!

My minimed pump came with a little travel bag that is about the size of a Harry Potter book, I have traveled up to a week with my pump supplies just in that, it is so much easier to travel with a pump and a book sized extra luggage because you have so much more freedom on the pump it makes being out of your regular schedule easier! and like jrtpup said, if you get and don't want to take it you can go back to injections for that time. But I bet you want to take it with you!

I was up to 5 shots a day when I got a pump. We cruise and travel a lot and the Metronic pump makes it so much easier and it is plastic so you don't have to take it off at security. It is easy to remove when showering or other 'strenious' activities.

It's only March, so if Jackson wants to try the pump, there is still plenty of time! I echo Emmy that there is a learning curve with the pump, but you still have 5.5 months! Vacation should not be the deciding factor over whether to pump or not to pump. So if he wants to try pumping, he should. Some people think pumping on vacation is easier, and some people who are religious pumpers take "pump vacations" while on vacation and go back to shots for a week! It's really a personal decision. I've been living in Europe for the past six months and traveling frequently. I do bring a lot of extra pump supplies, but for me it's no big deal. Yes, I have diabetes, Yes, I wear a pump, Yes, I have a lot of supplies when I go on vacation. But the pump helps me live better! That should be the deciding factor--not amount of packing.

I traveled overseas with shots last August and it worked out ok....but I switched to the pump last November. I'd use the pump if I traveled again (bringing backup supplies and prescriptions too), because (a) the variable basal rates give me so much better control (b) the temp basal function helps adjust rapidly to the changes in exertion in traveling (c) can adapt to time zone changes easier (d) so much easier for flexible meals and snacking when in a strange environment.

It took me about 1-2 monthsw to get the pump settings all tuned in and get used to everything. As others pointed out, I think you have enough time if you start now and when August comes, if you are not comfortable, just go back to shots.

Jackson is 6 years old.