Vacationing in warmer temperatures

I will be going on a cruise next November to the Caribean.I am from Windsor Ontario.How much will I have to reduce my basal rate while there. My basal rate will be set for November temperatures.

I guess it really depends. Your stateroom and the interior of the ship will all be air conditioned. Some people hang outside by the pool and some excursions may expose you to hot weather. But how much more active than normal will you be. When I have gone on cruises the only adjustment I had to make was when I was exposed to very high temperatures (like 100 deg F) all day.

I live in Indiana. I had to increase mine, but then again I ate too much.

I moved some time ago to a city near Cancun, beautiful place (Merida) but extreme temperatures. My health team always insisted that the body’s metabolism is higher in hot and humid places. I personally had to use different basal as soon as I arrived. Reduction really depends on your bg levels and as @Brian_BSC said air conditioning and other things. We would not be able to provide specific data as every diabetes, and every person has specific needs :frowning: I guess my advice would be to check more frequently and make adjustments with that info after consulting your medical team.

1 Like

Whenever I cruise, I always have to increase my basal. I imagine it is because the food is so different than what I usually eat. And there is so much of it.

I don’t imagine that I would have to increase my basal as I can’t eat very
much and I will try to eat safer. Proteins, vegetables and such. I will be wearing a sensor to help me monitor my bs levels easier. I figure a temp basal will be the way to go.

D’Etta Meloche

Interestingly, doctors in the pre-insulin era used to advise their diabetic patients to stay in warm climates as long as possible, if they could afford it, since empirical evidence showed they fared better there. For example, Elizabeth Hughes, daughter of the leading U.S. politician and later Supreme Court Justice, and one of the world’s first type 1 diabetics to be treated with insulin, used to spend extended periods in the Caribbean.