Vaccination/immunization activating diabetes?

I have now had diabetes for 8 years. (Lada)
I am still producing insulin but have had to increase my long working insulin the last few years.
I knew diabetes ran in my family so the summer of 2004 (before I got Lada) I went to a doctor to get my bloodsugar levels checked and they were completely normal. I did not have diabetes. (The doctor even laughed at me for worrying about such a thing)
The next year I started university and we had to be vaccinated for hepatitis A and B. I got my vaccination in September. In december I started getting yeast infections that never would go away. It took 3 years until I got my diagnosis. My bloodsugar was high and I had sugar in my urine.

Different doctors have different theories about what causes diabetes. Diabetes runs in my family so for me to escape the family tradition probably would have been impossible:) But I keep wondering if it was the vaccine that set it off? Could the vaccine have messed something up in my immune system?

I would very much like to know if there is anybody who has experienced a similar thing. Getting diabetes not so long after a immunization shot.

2 Likes

Well, i don't know why i got D, but i have a friend who got it right after a virus. So, i think the difference between dead or alive viruses is not that big, and that it really could be the vaccine that triggered your diabetes. In my opinion, vaccines are an irritation for the immune system, and as we all know, the immune system starts to kill our beta cells. if your diabetes was caused by the vaccine is difficult to say, but it would not be unusual. don't understand me wrong, i'm not against vaccines, i just think that a vaccine is an intervention in an immune system, and not just a shot that doesn't have any risks.
either way, don't give anyone or anything the fault for your diabetes, as it cannot be changed nor removed. probably it was a combination of many factors, and the vaccine was maybe one of many.
lots of love, swiss

I actually had a very similar experience except that diabetes does not run in my family at all. But I got vaccinated for some travel I was doing about 4-6 weeks before my first symptoms showed up. I've always wondered if that was the cause...

1 Like

I have a few different theories on what triggered the late onset of actual D in me but I believe I have been type 1 a lot longer than that and I did have a reaction to a vaccination as a child- I had a fever, infection and swelling at the site and felt ill for 2 weeks. I guess I will never know if that played a role or not. A lot of people say there is no proven link between vaccinations and these reactions, while this may be true for most cases I still feel something is going on there.

One of my cats had a bad reaction to two vaccines last summer. I had stopped vaccinating due to fear of health issues but decided to do the rabies and distemper and she became ill immediately. Later developing liver cancer and possible FeLV. The FeLV, if she indeed had it, (we weren't able to do the definitive test because she was given a shot Convenia- don't ever use this drug btw- she became severely anemic and passed 10 days later) was most likely hiding in her bone barrow, transmitted from her feral mother at birth and was then stimulated to become active by the vaccine's stimulation of her immune system. It is one of the deadliest and most horrible viruses and it has been around for millions of year. I'm not advocationg non vaccination in children/people for serious diseases like polio, but I do believe there are effects from vaccines.

"But I keep wondering if it was the vaccine that set it off?"

Simple answer is that there is no scientific evidence to support that "theory".

1 Like

Scientists believe that this is mere coincidence. There is no evidence to support such an idea and it has been studied. If anything this is a mere coincidence. For every person who says this happened in short order after a vaccination, there are 10 that no such connection.

In short the vast preponderance of evidence suggests there is no link.

2 Likes

I was once told by a doctor that I was a 70s vacine diabetic because of something wrong with the pertusses vac back then. I took it with a grain of salt… I am also now very wary of all the autoimmune diseases that have sprung up. The whole industry is so dodgy with many researches, doctors and whistle blowers silenced not to mention the corruption and lack of genuine scientific rigor in vacines. Even if you do the most rudimentary research you soon realise there is something very very wrong, with none of the owners of these giant pharma companies using these vacines on themselves or their children. The amount given now is insane and with more given the autoimmune diseases are exponential and cancer is at a 1 in 2 people by age 85 will be diagnosed. Do your research these diseases and their proliferation are far from natural.

2 Likes

It scares me that we live in such an age of “alternative facts” and “conspiracy theories.” Unfortunately the whole vaccine area has been a swamp for this stuff. And the vaccine industry is not really big pharma. In fact the government has trouble keeping this small companies in the business, it isn’t a growth area and profits are slim. The “Vaccine controversies” go back 80 years. The latest version was started by a charlatan called Andrew Wakefield who suggested in a fraudulent 1998 paper that the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine was linked with the appearance of autism and bowel disease. This led to a huge controversy and eventually led to Wakefield being totally denounced, his paper in the Lancet bring retracted and being removed as a doctor in the UK. Even his libel suit failed and he had to pay damages. Subsequent reviews by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Institute of Medicine of the US National Academy of Sciences, the UK National Health Service, and the Cochrane Library all found no link between the MMR vaccine and autism. Despite that the controversy still lives. Trump even echoed this stuff. These vaccines have been studied up the wazoo. There is even a special vaccine court where they have very loose rules, basically if you just hint that you have been harmed they provide restitution (which turns out to actually be rare). And the consequences of not vaccinating are very clear with outbreaks being tied directly to vaccinated populations. If anyone has a study which shows this link I would be very interested.

7 Likes

@Brian_BSC The industry doesn’t need conspiracy theories there are enough dodgy practices in the industry as well as big pharma to sink themselves Brian. Pretty insulting again that a type two who has problems with diet and exercise comes on here talking about those of us with type 1 who have an auto immune disease. Your really starting to make me feel uncomfortable, is there any way I can block you Brian because that would be actually helpful becaise I am genuinely finding your comments offensive and irrelevant but mostly offensive. I truly await your reply re Blocking as your supposedly a forum helper here to create a safe environment.

Brian,

you are a really smart guy. However, your write-up here presents every bit of propaganda the pharmaceutical industry has been using to try to get the population to accept that vaccines are safe and effective, and that they should be compulsorily mandated for everyone with no exceptions.

When you have time, you could actually look a little further into this issue. All is not rosy on all fronts.

1. Dr Wakefield’s paper was not fraudulent. It only stated that gastrointestinal damage was found in children who regressed after receiving MMR vaccine, and that further study was warranted. His co-authors (who had greater defence insurance funding) were already cleared of all charges, and his findings have been replicated by many groups since then. It is widely accepted that gut issues do accompany autism.

2. In 2011 vaccine act was passed exempting pharmaceutical companies from liability for their vaccines. In 1983 kids got 10 vaccines from birth to 6 years old. By 2015 they got 36 - 38 doses of vaccine. There are many vaccines in the pipeline. Kids are far less healthy now than in the past. Just maybe there is a link. Why did vaccines need to increase so much when sanitation and nutrition are generally very advanced? I don’t accept there is no money in vaccines. They have no advertising, no liability (except that vaccines themselves fund the vaccine court), and a captive market. There is a huge push from pharmaceutical companies to mandate vaccines from cradle to grave… and autism, alzheimers, diabetes, autoimmune conditions, allergies, cancers, psychiatric conditions are all burgeoning. Probably not a single cause but where there’s smoke there is likely fire…

3. Vaccines have not been studied up the wazoo. Did you know that most safety studies of vaccines use another vaccine instead of a placebo (or they use the adjuvant and other components such as aluminium etc). Safety studies on vaccines make interesting reading. Did you know that the vaccines are typically 'studied" singly and there have never been studies examining the current schedule where babies may get up to 8 vaccines at 2 monthly intervals in their first 6 months of life? If you can find such studies please share them.

Did you know there are no studies comparing the health of fully vaccinated, partially vaccinated, and unvaccinated children. Again, if you can find such studies please share them.

1. Pertussis is a well known example of a vaccine that increases infection. Pertussis vaccine does not prevent infection with pertussis. However it can enable people to become silent carriers, and not knowing they are sick, then spread the disease.

2. Most cases cannot get to the vaccine court because Doctors refuse to document or report adverse reactions to vaccines. Plus there is a 2 year window. However, to date vaccine court has paid out more than $3 billion.

3. Vaccines are never studied the way that other pharmaceutical drugs are studied. They are not subject to the same safety standards. They are often fast tracked. They are not studied for carcinogenicity, mutagenicity, or effects on fertility. They are not studied for safety in pregnant women (it says so on the drug information sheets), even though they are now recommended for pregnant women.

I believe all my autoimmune conditions started following Hep B vaccination.

Each person must do what they believe best. But given the current load of vaccinations pushed, it may be wise to study further and not just believe all is fine, when it is not necessarily so.

2 Likes

The reason I feel strongly and have posted on this subject is because my son has autism. So I have read widely on this topic and I have strong feelings about how this vaccine conspiracy theory has harmed people.

These days it can really be hard to find sources of information that are credible. We have had a huge amount of misinformation on this subject and I can understand why people are confused. So let me try to address some of the points.

Wakefields paper was retracted, his co-authors fled and ended up denouncing the work. He was subject of a review by the British Medical Council which found three dozen charges against him proved and stripped him of his license to practice medicine. His behavior was exposed by the reporter Brian Deer, Wakefield sued him for liable several times and lost every time and had to pay costs. I didn’t declare him a fraud, The British Medical Journal dubbed his research “an elaborate fraud.” Here is a summary of studies which are claimed to support Wakefields work. How many support it? None

It was a Supreme Court ruling in 2011 that shielded vaccine companies from liability. National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986 established a fund to compensate any victims of vaccine injuries. It also asked the CDC and FDA to establish the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS) in which anybody can report an adverse event. There have been some rare adverse events identified through this system, but CDC/FDA don’t report any connection to autism or diabetes. It turns out pharmaceutical companies do not want to be in the vaccine business. With all this crazy stuff going on the business is terrible. It has a fixed market, all kinds of overhead and very little profit. The whole reason the government got involved in the way it did was because otherwise nobody would make vaccines. There are still regular worldwide vaccines shortages.

The Cochrane collaboration looked at the evidence including two studies involving 1,500,000 children. While they did find some association with things like aseptic meningitis, etc. They found "We could assess no significant association between MMR immunisation and the following conditions: autism, asthma, leukaemia, hay fever, type 1 diabetes, gait disturbance, Crohn’s disease, demyelinating diseases, or bacterial or viral infections."

It is considered unethical to conduct controlled trials against vaccinated children as the benefits from vaccination so dramatically outweigh any of identified adverse effects. It would be like doing a study to prove insulin works by asking some type 1 children to not use insulin.

Vaccinations generally work by triggering an immune reaction either by injecting inactive or dead bacteria or viruses or by injecting “weakened” versions. Yes you get an infection with weakened versions, that is the whole point. But your immune system fights off the bacteria/virus and it is “gone.” The Pertussis vaccine uses dead bacteria, you get an immune reaction, but no infection. And you cannot become a carrier.

People turn to the vaccine court because it has a very low bar for compensation. Nobody would turn to a civil suit, it is just to hard to win and get compensation. Not so with the vaccine court. The window is actually 3 years from the time of the vaccine and the onset of any adverse effect. It is shortened to 2 years if there is a death. But I believe you can bring a case years later. You can actually look through the autism dockets over the years. It doesn’t exactly support an MMR autism connection.

Vaccines are subject to the same level of scrutiny as other pharmaceuticals.

I would really like to know where people get this information. Yes, people need to make their own decisions, but I also think people should make “informed” decisions.

11 Likes

Might I just say that I have been profoundly deaf since I had measles at age 4. I would not wish the difficulties I have encountered in my life on any child. Thank goodness hearing aids and implants have improved beyond all measure, but it is still not your hearing back and it is still difficult to keep up with the hearing world.

5 Likes

There’s a common logical fallacy in play here. Simply because events happened over time does not mean, by their temporal sequence alone, that earlier events caused later events.

Consider this sequence:

1. I got up this morning.

2. I ate breakfast.

3. I got in my car and was in an auto accident.

Getting out of bed and eating breakfast did not cause the later auto accident.

I know it seems silly. Sequential events do not necessarily make them linked by cause and effect. This is such an old logical fallacy that it carries a Latin name, post hoc ergo propter hoc.

8 Likes

What @Terry4 said. Especially true when the reason you’re getting the vaccine is the increased likelihood of exposure to infections (I know university life, particularly living in dorms, meant a much higher level of viruses for me), and viruses etc are strongly implicated as T1 triggers. Also I’m guessing it might have coincided with increased stress. So lots of potential triggers happening at once—it’s just bias, due to things like the Wakefield study (which, as @Brian_BSC correctly points out, do not hold up at all under scrutiny) that makes the vaccine look particularly suspect.

I think that only applies if you have a high carb breakfast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi All! A friend just sent me the attached article on a proposed link between vaccines and T1D. My son was diagnosed a few months after getting 5 vaccinations at his 11 year old checkup so I’ve always wondered if that was the trigger? I would never risk not vaccinating my other kids but this is an interesting angle… thoughts?

http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/Diabetes/juvenilediabetes.aspx

1 Like

I don’t want to appear overly negative but that article is really horrible. Ok - maybe I am being negative. It is a bad article in my opinion. It mixes a (very) little bit of factual science, a whole lot of insinuation and innuendo and comes up with conclusions that seem to materialize out of thin air.

In any event - you did specifically ask for thoughts. Those are mine.

1 Like

The article doesn’t give links, which makes it impossible to trace it’s sources.

There is certainly an ongoing epidemic of autoimmune conditions happening now, that were not seen in past populations at anywhere near the current rate.

Autoimmunity is a contributor to type1 diabetes.

Do vaccines contribute to autoimmunity? In some people, possibly; considering that the whole purpose of vaccination is to stimulate the immune system (and frequent vaccination = frequent stimulation), and conceivably that stimulation could also trigger autoimmunity in susceptible populations.

There is a textbook on Autoimmunity and Vaccines. I haven’t read it.

:joy: I did. Thanks!

My thoughts on this are mixed. When I first read the post I assumed it was more of the anti-vaccine science woo that is so popular at the moment. Having read the article, I agree that there is insufficient data (links to other studies, etc.) to validate what it says in any useful way.

That said, the basic theory (live virus vaccines contributing to autoimmunity contributing to diabetes) is intriguing enough that it should be investigated systematically. Mostly there are open questions that need to be researched competently to get answers. For example: is the apparent correlation between increased vaccination rates and increased incidence of Type 1 diabetes found in other countries, or only here? Etc. Etc.

1 Like