Vegan once again

Hmm. I don’t know about cashew cheese, but you can definitely get dairy-free substitutes for sour cream, cream cheese, and whipping cream. I may just try it with the substitutes and see how it goes (I’ve been allergic to dairy for the past four to five years). It would be even less healthy, since the substitutes I’m thinking of are processed, but maybe cashew cream cheese and sour cream would work as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! I can’t wait to try it on my next day off.

1 Like

It would be interesting with dairy-free substitutes. Have to let me know how that goes! I’ve been firmly in the “not vegetarian but always interested in vegetarianism” camp for about the last twenty years. And I have enough veggie and vegan friends that I often make vegan-friendly food for parties and such.

Let me know, Friend Jen, how it works. I’m interested!..Judith

1 Like

THank you for this… I was concerned about the high carbs with the vegan diet. That is why I was thinking about leaning toward a pescatarian style (eggs and fish) and not a full vegan. I have been very good about not eating meat and regular cheese. I have the mindset going which is half the battle. I don’t freak out when I smell fried chicken or flavorful meats while driving by a restaurant.

2 Likes

I have to do more preparations with my diet also. When I get up I need to have breakfast ready. I am just so use to grabbing the first thing and running out the door. I need to find which plants offer the most protein

1 Like

I don’t know about cheesecake, but I’ve had good “cream cheese” frosting made with Tofutti. Tofutti was designed to be dairy free for Kosher Jews (not for health-based vegans), so not sure how good for you it is, but it seems to do the trick. I had it on a carrot cake as part of a kosher meat-based meal (so no dairy allowed). It’s been several years since then, but I don’t think I would have realized had I had the cake in a different context.

1 Like

Yep, Tofutti is the brand I was thinking of. There’s also Daiya and other brands, but I can’t eat them due to my allergies.

Just eyeballing the nutritional info and ingredients, Toffutti “cream cheese” is a closer match to the macro composition of real cream cheese. I’ll actually try to make a cheesecake from this and get back to everyone! Maybe this weekend when I’m back from my trip :slight_smile: Now I just need to figure out a butter alternative (coconut oil might work) in the almond crust, and a sour cream alternative. Suggestions?

1 Like

For a butter substitute I use Earth Balance spreads (they work in baking as well). Coconut oil works, but you will probably have to decrease the amount used in the recipe. Earth Balance I just substitute 1:1 for butter (I like the red soy-free version the best).

I haven’t used sour cream very often. Tofutti may have a version of sour cream, but if not, in the past I may have used the Follow Your Heart one. Though, looking at the ingredients, I’m not sure I’ve used that as there are lots of iffy ones there for me as far as allergies go and all of their other products are unsafe for me, but regardless, I’ve heard good things about this brand.

I have been whole foods, plant based for health reasons for going on ten years now and have very good control of my diabetes, get plenty of protein and good nutrition and feel great. Not everyone does as well on a completely plant based regime. It is certainly worth trying and exploring.

I am positively OCD in setting up all my morning activities the night before----feeding kitties and backdoor strays (bowls and food choices all lined up), breakfast ready to go (scrambled eggs mixed or almond flour pancakes prepped), lunch fixings readied, dishes done, dish drainer emptied…Etc…Once I have breakfasted and relaxed/dozed for a couple hours (I don’t sleep well at night), my brain fart settles to a calmer place. This started not with the Damn D, but with the horrible, literally vomitous results of not knowing how to deal with fibromyalgia 20 years ago…Sigh…It happens. Every answer is individual…

1 Like

are you T!? i have been vegan 5 years and 50 years T1. Usually do great. Sometimes get lazy nd do not guess well for baked potatoes, rice, etc. Really high PPR. Any tips besides chasing the highs?
thanks.

Yes, I’ve had type one diabetes for 25 years. Eaten whole foods, plant-based for almost ten and gluten free for going on five years I think. More and more I have cut way down on all grains, especially flour, no sugar, and no potatoes because it just isn’t worth battling the BG spikes afterwards. It seems like I have a lot of restrictions and it does make going out to eat a little tricky but for the most part I have become very creative with some recipes and love the foods that work well for me.

Been type 1 for 43 years, zero complications. Vegan for about 6 months now and love it. I am also strict low carb, sugar free. I do eat some carbs in the form of vegan seed crackers (chia, pumpkin, etc) and watch the serving size. My total caloric intake is between 900 and 1100 a day. My last A1C (April 12th) was 5.5

Vegan is amazing for blood sugars and has resolved concerns with cholesterol. I had to eat the seed crackers to control low blood sugars and don’t mind at all because they taste amazing. Don’t know if it’s just the lack of chemicals/preservatives in vegan foods or the plant based diet…it just works.

I have been vegan for several months now… I am feeling rather weak all the time now. I don’t have that robust energy like I use to. It was suggested that I eat more carbs…is this good?

Being tired may be a side effect of higher blood glucose more so than the diet plan.

But as far as the diet, I would make sure I’m meeting my protein targets and that your iron isn’t low-perhaps considering a supplement with iron since it will be awhile before your insurance kicks in.

Edamame are high protein, low carb.

It’s pretty easy to develop certain deficiencies as a vegan, especially B12 (all the more so if you’re also on metformin). You may want to get that checked. Also, I know a number of people who really could never feel ok on a strictly vegan diet (while others do really well), no matter how well they supplemented and how thoughtfully they planned their diets, and eventually had to add back in at least some eggs or dairy or something (and sought out ethically produced versions), so may be worth keeping in mind if supplements and diet tweaks don’t fix it. Seems like it might just be an individual thing, whether or not it works for people. Maybe it’s genetic, and someday there will be a test for what diets are likely to work for which people.

Can’t really comment on the vegan part of it (when I tried it twenty years ago, it really, really didn’t work for me), but “weakness” from diet isn’t necessarily something that calls for “more carbs.” This is pretty common in people eating at a caloric deficit (which, presumably, you are), and it can be exacerbated in those eating low-carb. Not offering medical advice, but if iron and B12 (which are good suggestions) don’t work, you might also try upping your water intake and electrolyte intake. I supplement potassium, magnesium, and salt in a serious way when eating very low carb, and it does wonders for that weak feeling (for me).

Not a doctor, you should definitely take medical direction, but at least consider this might be something like the “low carb flu,” which is easily remedied with increased electrolyte consumption.

1 Like

Just wanted to mention, potassium supplements can be dangerous if they are not needed, particularly for diabetics who also take an ACE inhibitor such as lisinopril / prinvil / zestril.

Supplementing it with diet, with foods like bananas, avocados, and certain kinds of nuts like almonds and peanuts is generally safe.

But for those who are reading this thread and have not been prescribed potassium or had a potassium deficiency detected, they should consult with their doc before taking potassium pills.