Vegetarian/ Vegan Recipes

Some people just can’t or won’t eat meat for various reasons. This section is to help people who need to reduce their carbs and are vegetarian or vegans.

Imitation Ground Beef

6 large eggs
1/8-1/4 cup vegetarian worcestershire sauce
1 yellow onion, finely chopped (optional)
In a bowl, mix the eggs with the sauce with a fork. Add onions to eggs and scramble until it resembles ground beef. Serves 2-3 people.

This recipe is modified from cookingwithrockstars.com.

Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
submitted by: Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley)

Regular worcestershire sauce is not vegan, so shop carefully, or make your own using this recipe.

Ingredients
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
equivalent of 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Instructions
1.Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute. Cool.
2.Store in the refrigerator. Makes about 3/4 cup.

You can modify this recipe to suit your individual taste preference.

Tofu Stir Fry

1 package tofu
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger powder
1 yellow onion, chopped
a bunch of leftover low-carb veggies, chopped, sliced, or julienned
cauliflower or soybean sprouts for faux rice or faux noodles

Marinate the tofu in the soy sauce, garlic, and ginger powder for at least 4 hours, turning once halfway through marination time. In a frying pan or wok, place the onion and other veggies. Stir fry the veggies and tofu mixture until tender-crisp. For the faux rice, grate cauliflower and steam. For the faux noodles, snip off the leaves and steam. Serve the stir-fry over the steamed faux rice or faux noodles with extra soy sauce.

Vegan Meatloaf

I package LightLife Gimme Lean Veggie Beef
I carrot chopped/diced
1 stalk celery chopped/diced
1/3 onion chopped/diced
1 small can tomato sauce or 1 cup marinara sauce

Mix the veggie beef, carrot, onion, celery together and shape into a loaf. I make the loaf only wide enough as a piece of bread for sandwiches later. It will make about 6 slices. You can easily double or triple the recipe. I usually do! Pour the tomato or marinara sauce over the top and down the sides. I use the gimme lean ground because it will shape and holds together. It’s not a crumble.

Bake in preheated oven at 375 for about an hour. The loaf is done sooner, but you want the veggies in it to cook enough to be tender. That will also depend on how small you chop or dice them! If you dice small it can be done in about 45 minutes.

You must be a very good cook to be able to do recipe modifications. Seems like Vegans always know how to cook. I suppose its the nature of the beast.

Gayle’s Vegetarian loaf (courtesy of my friends mom and her 7th day church):

8 Cups Special K cereal.
6 eggs
8 Oz cottage cheese
1 package of Lipton onion soup mix
Stick of butter
1 Cup onions
1 Cup celery

Saute 1 cup of onions and 1 cup of chopped celery in butter (start with the celery because it takes longer than the onions).

Mix everything together in a large bowl.
Pour the mixed everything into a casserole dish (I think, a 9x13 rectangular casserole pan for cooking.)

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

1 Like

oops, I forgot to add the 6 eggs! Woops!

That’s okay because I wouldn’t be adding the 6 eggs!!! Lol!! But I probably will add tofu or/and arrowroot instead. The Lipton onion mix is the hardest for me to substitute, I’m close to the taste, but I haven’t had it now for over 35 years, so it’s more difficult to figure out!

1 Like