Verio IQ runs much higher than Ping

Hi everyone,
I just got a new Verio IQ meter from my endo last week and was excited to start using it. I currently use a ping with my animas pump, and I have no complaints, just thought it would be nice to try something new and to have a backup.
However, my numbers coming from the verio are WAY higher than what I’ve been getting from my ping, and my dexcom, as well. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone seen similar results? I’ve read that the verio is supposed to be extremely accurate, but my A1c (just done this week), matches my ping averages, so I don’t think that’s the meter that’s off. How can they claim such stellar lab results when I’ve experienced such a huge difference, and I know others have complained about higher numbers with the verio as well? Any experiences you can share?

Are the numbers between the Ping and to IQ within the 20% variance range allowed by the FDA?

As for the dexcom you use the ping result to calibrate so would expect them to be closer to ping.

Have you run side by side through all different levels? How much variance do you get with the ping if you test repeatedly on different fingers and different hands?

I switched to the IQ from a Contour Next, and had a bit of variance, but when I used both to compare to a simultaneous blood draw they were both with the allowed variance of the lab BG.

I know I can have interesting differences- higher on right hand than on the left, higher on pinky than on middle and so forth.

Thanks 2hobbit1! The variance is greater than 20%, which concerns me, especially when basing treatment decisions off a higher number. The ping occasionally has big variants in numbers from repeated testing, but not often. I did test several times today on both meters at different blood sugar levels, and came up with a near 25% variance between the two. That’s just crazy to me! And the only reason I think the ping is closer is again, because my recent a1c reflects that. Very frustrating that this new technology really isn’t so great…

Just looked up verio iq and read all the web pages. Must have been half a dozen sentences. The only thing concerning accuracy is that it tests the blood half a thousand times to get it right. But the meter has new conveniences never before available. There’s no expectation of better accuracy.

The ping is basically the onetouch meter which uses the blue strips. The Verio IQ is the newer meter and uses different strips. Nearly two years ago I switched from the onetouch to the Verio because I believed that it was going to be more accurate and useful. You can read about that in my thread from 2012 where I also give links to the studies on accuracy.

Shelby,
Does your dex averages match your A1C, not your Ping? Reason I ask is that the meter is weighted by when and how much you test and the averages can be effected by chasing lows or highs. I had read somewhere that to get your true A1C from you meter that you needed to add 5% to the average. Can't find where that is right now but it was from someone I trust, will try to track it down.

Dex on the other hand reflects readings 24/7/90. If the dex 90 day average is not so close and the IQ numbers are closer, then I would probably begin to use the IQ readings to calibrate the G4 and see how it goes.

Have you tested both meters to a lab blood draw yet? Mine was in the middle, one meter was within 20% low of the lab BG, the other was within 20% high of the lab result. You may be doing that, since the standard is 20% of a lab draw, you can still have a wider variance between the individual meter results and meet standards.

I did make the switch, even though at first the IQ seemed higher. I did do the lab to meter comparison and had the high low in the middle pattern too, with the IQ the higher one. Reason I switched was that my G4 always seemed to run on the low side, my target is tight. I aim for a target of 85 with a range of 70-120.
What that gets me is an average around 100. When I went for a target of 100, I was lucky to get 120. The tighter range alerts on the dex have helped me get lower SDs as well. I'm pumping a t:slim, so have learned to use all the bells and whistles, extended bolus, temp basal, etc. The dex has been a huge help, I can get my 100 average with less than 5% low..

I'm really liking the IQs uploadability to my pump online data as well, can pull a single report for the Endo.

Thanks, that is helpful info. I haven’t compared to a lab draw, other than my a1c that was taken last week. My Dex does show the same average as my a1c, which I have been calibrating off the ping, however, I have noticed over the last few days that the Dex numbers have been matching more closely with the IQ. Not sure what is causing the variance, but it’s frustrating. I wonder: is it a bad batch of strips? Is the meter losing accuracy? (I’ve only had the ping for a year), was it a ‘bad’ fingerstick? The variables make me crazy!! I’ve been T1 for 21 years, and pumping for 12, so I feel like I’ve got a pretty good system working, but there are always changes, especially as a woman :slight_smile: I wish regulations were such that we could be assured of better accuracy. Do I dose off the 180 I just got from the ping, or the 225 I got from the IQ? That is my biggest concern with this type of thing. Thanks again for your perspective…I’ll keep plugging away at it!

Brian, that thread is actually the first thing I read when I searched the site. :slight_smile: There weren’t many responses, nor were they detailed, so I didn’t find it too informative. How have you found the last couple of years on the IQ? Has it been reliable for you? Or have you moved on to something else?

I still use the Verio IQ. In my experience I have not seen it being any more or less accurate than the onetouch. If you are just comparing the Verio and Onetouch it will be hard to know which one is off. And if you calibrate the dexcom with the ping then the dexcom will not be an independent measure either. One thing you could try is to see how both the ping and Verio react to control solution.

ps. I have some blood variants which make me inherently question the accuracy of meters to begin with.

If you multiply your 225 by 80% you get 180, so technically they do just match.
I had my dex start to follow the IQ, after about a week of parallel numbers but calibrating to my original meter. Not sure why it happened, it just may be meter variability. I have been switched to the IQ now for about 6-8 months now and do not regret the move.

As for the current situation until you can do a meter to lab BG comparison, why not split the difference?

Another thing to factor in your choice is your A1C result - are you happy with it? How often do you go low? Could you maybe get a little bit more gluconormal numbers if you used the IQ results rather than the ping. And do it safely?

Sometimes you need to go with your gut and see how it goes. If you choose to use the IQ for a while be ready to correct if necessary. But you might actually like the end result of responding to slightly higher numbers in the long run.

Shelby and Brian, thank you both. I just decided to change from the Ping to the SNAP and, in anticipation of my new pump's arrival, I decided to try the Verio since I will no longer feel compelled to stay with the Ping. I have noticed exactly what you describe Shelby. It is a big variance! I am going to continue to test on both for awhile to see if I can figure it out. The Dexcom is following the Ping because that is the meter with which I calibrated it. Are you still using the Verio IQ?

I just signed on with the thought that someone may have posted on this problem. TuD came through for me again. I found your posts!

Hi Donna,
I recently upgraded to the Vibe from the Ping, and since I can no longer use the Ping meter with the Vibe, I have solely been using the Verio IQ. I did find that my A1C was much higher than my dexcom/ping were showing, and the Verio still runs higher, but it now seems to be more accurate as far as matching up with my A1c and I only use it to calibrate my dexcom. My endo did say that since the Verio has the newer test strips/technology that it should be more accurate than the old OneTouch models.

I used the Verio IQ for a while and was not impressed with its accuracy. In general I am judging accuracy by repeatability. When I do my two start-up numbers for a Dex sensor, are they close? With both the Ping meter and the Verio IQ, I often got numbers like 90/102, 100/118, etc. They were probably within the 20% guidance for accuracy, but frustrating to me to use as calibration numbers.

Based on a study reported by Diabetes Daily, I switched to the Freestyle Lite and find it more trustworthy. More often than not, if the first test says 92, the next one will say anything from 90-95. Only rarely will the two numbers be as far apart as I saw on the Verio. Usually I’ll see 92/93.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2013/07/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy-comparison-chart/

Repeatability is only one test of a meter accuracy, but I have been very happy with the switch to Freestyle. I liked a lot of things about the Verio, but “increased accuracy” was not one of them.

Laddie, I don't know that it's more accurate, but One Touch is the only strip my insurance will cover, so that is one of my deciding factors, unfortunately. Also, when my A1C was higher than my Ping average using the old one touch strips, I figured that the Verio averages would be more in line with my future A1c, since it runs higher. And based on my most recent A1c from last week, that seems to be holding true. Am I impressed by its 'accuracy' from one test to the next, or in calibrating my dex? Not really, but I think overall it's been a better meter than my old one touch models.

After years of using the Compact Plus meters, I discovered that at high bg levels (actual), the CP meters read substantially higher than all other meters I have in the house that I still have strips for. Having switched to the Contour because of getting the Enlite sensor system recently, I found that of all my meters read pretty close to one another with the sole exception of the 5 CP meters, when my bg is in the 180+ range. The higher the bg, the more deviation from every other meter. Those meters include Contour Next, Verio, Accuchek Nano. I have no less than 2 of every meter and countless meters, in total thanks to my spouse also being a diabetic. I like the CP for one-handed use--great when I'm out and about, except for the size and weight. I like the Nano for being small and decently accurate. The only thing I like about the Verio is the screen. The battery would suddenly be too low to test, without warning. I've had 3 of them and it's the same issue with all of them. The only thing that bugs me with the Next is lack of readibility in bright light. Repeatability and accuracy seem excellent so far in the 4 months I've been using it. I got my rear reamed for using too many meters by all of my health professionals. LOL! Now I just use two of the Next's. MM complained I should be using just one. Oh well! LOL!

One definite plus for the Verio is the small blood sample size compared to the One Touch meters using the blue strips.

ever tried the Contour meter? It also needs a super small sample size of blood.

Thanks, Shelby. I think after just a bit of time, I am now a convert to VerioIQ. I also reached out to Melissa Lee and read her blog on Sweet Life from when she switched and had the same result. I have never been able to get my A1C under 7. I'm hopeful that this may do the trick. I am delighted to know that you had a good result from switching.