Very interesting Low Carb article / Gotta Love the ADA

I found this:

For weight loss, either low-carbohydrate, low-fat calorie-restricted, or Mediterranean diets may be effective in the short-term (up to 2 years). (A)

For patients on low-carbohydrate diets, monitor lipid profiles, renal function, and protein intake (in those with nephropathy), and adjust hypoglycemic therapy as needed. (E)

at this site:
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/Supplement_1/S11.full#sec-15

It seems pretty clear to me that they are NOT against low-carb diets, and monitoring lipids, renal function and protein intake seems to apply to all diabetics, not just those on low-carb diets.

Well, I will admit that change is slow. And you’re right, there IS the issue that, at this time, it’s usually the patient that has to bring up the idea of low-carb. But it’s better than it was before, when a diabetic would be strictly admonished for even thinking about it!

But you reinforce my belief that we need a Diabetes Educational Underground – at the moment, we have exactly NO way to introduce these ideas except when people find their way here or to places like this, or find books because they’re searching for them. We need a whole lot more advocacy! I’m going to see if there are any booths promoting low-carb at the AADE meeting next week – Hope Warshaw is giving a talk on carbs also, and I hope to be able to ask her some penetrating questions (if my brain is working at the time!).

And I can’t remember the last time I went into a fast food place, either – if there were more people like us and our friends here, they’d go out of business! LOL!

Penetrate!

Hmm, exactly where did I “suggest a low carb mafia, run by the russians and Atkinites”?

I have to admit that if this is a good example of the writing in “men’s health and fitness and bodybuilding literature”, then I’m quite happy to have been reading actual papers in actual scientific journals instead. I wonder how many of the people who read these bodybuilding magazines are actually “healthy, lean and muscular”? I would guess its a distinct minority.

I think so. I have not seen my folks for about a year, but he listens and asks questions. I’ve sent him some LC products we like and he has enjoyed them. Just not sure how far he is taking it.