Visiting the endocrinologist - my PDM

It isn’t a rule per se but it is generally expected as a standard of care that the provider should be monitoring the feet of diabetic patients. You can have decreased sensation to the monofilament and not be aware that you have the decreased sensation.

That being said, I agree with you, having it done four weeks apart is excessive, particularly when it was fine four weeks ago. The only thing I can think of is that the doctor didn’t chart it satisfactorily and they wanted to redo it but didn’t want to say so. Just a theory.

Well it the tests the doctors do on my feet don’t show any loss of sensation, how is looking at them whenever I am in the office going to make a difference unless I had an open wound that I would have immediately told them about?

The nurse demanding to see my feet had nothing to do with the test my doctor did. It is a new rule which I am going to ask about on Tuesday if I am asked to show her my feet again. I will show her my feet this time since they are quite pretty. :blush:

I agree…It seems excessive…

Unless you would want the doctors to assume you are doing fine and you are not
I would rather a doctor(or other healthcare professionals would take the time to check my feet out, which i consider fine, but you never know. I am not sure why this is such a big deal.

Looking from the care givers side, they want to make sure they have covered everything
Actually so do I

Tom, I realize that it is hard to understand why I don’t want my feet looked any time I am in the doctor’s office. If they want to look at my feet once or twice a yr, I am fine with that, but more than that in my view is excessive. I suppose it is going to become routine like checking weight and blood pressure.

I know my body extremely well since I have been taking care of my diabetes without a doctor’s help for the last 30 hrs. The doctor gives me prescriptions for insulin and that is all. My doctor told me that I know more about my diabetes than he does since I have had it for 60 yrs with no problems.

If I go to see him about controlling blood my blood pressure, I don’t need tne nurse to look at my feet.

Your choices, but whether I agree or it not needed, I go to the doctors office for their advice. Now whether I follow it or not is my choice, but first I need to listen.

FYI I was married to a nurse whose mother was a nurse. The Kids use to laugh when visiting grandma, Oh my they would say have you pooped today, you know she is going to aske that. I am long since divorced but still called her with any medical question I had.