Visiting the endocrinologist - my PDM

It isn’t a rule per se but it is generally expected as a standard of care that the provider should be monitoring the feet of diabetic patients. You can have decreased sensation to the monofilament and not be aware that you have the decreased sensation.

That being said, I agree with you, having it done four weeks apart is excessive, particularly when it was fine four weeks ago. The only thing I can think of is that the doctor didn’t chart it satisfactorily and they wanted to redo it but didn’t want to say so. Just a theory.

Well it the tests the doctors do on my feet don’t show any loss of sensation, how is looking at them whenever I am in the office going to make a difference unless I had an open wound that I would have immediately told them about?

The nurse demanding to see my feet had nothing to do with the test my doctor did. It is a new rule which I am going to ask about on Tuesday if I am asked to show her my feet again. I will show her my feet this time since they are quite pretty. :blush:

1 Like

I agree…It seems excessive…

Unless you would want the doctors to assume you are doing fine and you are not
I would rather a doctor(or other healthcare professionals would take the time to check my feet out, which i consider fine, but you never know. I am not sure why this is such a big deal.

Looking from the care givers side, they want to make sure they have covered everything
Actually so do I

1 Like

Tom, I realize that it is hard to understand why I don’t want my feet looked any time I am in the doctor’s office. If they want to look at my feet once or twice a yr, I am fine with that, but more than that in my view is excessive. I suppose it is going to become routine like checking weight and blood pressure.

I know my body extremely well since I have been taking care of my diabetes without a doctor’s help for the last 30 yrs. The doctor gives me prescriptions for insulin and that is all. My doctor told me that I know more about my diabetes than he does since I have had it for 60 yrs with no problems.

If I go to see him about controlling blood my blood pressure, I don’t need tne nurse to look at my feet.

Your choices, but whether I agree or it not needed, I go to the doctors office for their advice. Now whether I follow it or not is my choice, but first I need to listen.

FYI I was married to a nurse whose mother was a nurse. The Kids use to laugh when visiting grandma, Oh my they would say have you pooped today, you know she is going to aske that. I am long since divorced but still called her with any medical question I had.

1 Like

I have a long time friend that is also DIABETIC. He lost a few toes one year. Then a year or 2 later a leg. Fast forward another year or two more and he LOST his other LEG! The toes he lost to frostbite, the legs were both due to infections, that got too far gone, and could not clear up.

He was stubborn, should have, could have taken better of diabetes, but did NOT, and he paid the $$$$$.

Not every diabetic takes good care, or BOTHERS to take D serious enough.

BETTER SAFE… than sorry!

Hi JDavid, oh I agree some people need to have their feet looked at every time they are in the doctor’s office. I sure wish your friend took better care of himself. Such a price to pay.

I think it comes down to the fact that they don’t know who is checking and who isn’t?
So they just check everyone sometimes all the time? I would hope if you speak up and say it bothers you they might stop? I know there were signs in my old doctors office that said if you have diabetes to take off your shoes if you want your feet checked. But at my endo’s it said please take off your shoes so we can check your feet.

Type 1 diabetics are given guidelines but leave the office and handle their condition as well or as poorly as they do. I was taught how to give myself an injection using an orange peel at age 7. What I’ve learned is that every single diabetic that I encounter has a different approach, a different outlook. Forums like this make it easy to open up and share our experiences.

Every patient that walks into a doctor’s office is a different person, an individual with their own habits and experiences. As per outcomes of management, we all know that is to each his own. :wink:

I just got a new Dexcom G6 system. I also have Multiple Sclerosis and get regular MRIs. I can not wear any CGM in the MRI, so I have to end the sensor in use when I go in. I had a 3 month supply of of the new 14 Lire sensors, which will not work with my MiaoMiao transmitters & Glimp phone wear.

Yesterday I bagged them up and visited Roy, and GAVE him my soon 2 B un-needed sensors, & a 14 day reader. Roy is doing well, and his wife seemed especially appreciative of the gift. We had a good visit. I got him started and using the Libre before I left & headed home.

I felt GOOD, giving them to someone that could make good use of them. Better than giving them to the trash bin etc.

JD

PS I have one 10 day Lire sensor left, I will start that tomorrow, then insert/start my last of the 10 day Lire’s. Then on Sept 11, I will have to pull that one out and after the MRI, start a Dexcom. Then again I may start a Dexcom, and save the one & only 10 day Libre I have, in case of a Dexcom problem. on da FENCE?###########

1 Like

@JDavid. This is one of the things being able to restart Dexcom sensors helped with. When I had my MRI’s I was going on a sensor that had 14 days on it. I didn’t feel too bad about pulling it off because at least I had it for 14 days instead of 4.

I thought Dexcom sensors were only good for 10 days? My MiaoMiao transmitters + Glimp software let me get about 2 extra days from a 10 day Libre. The more I Blow a brain-fuse in my pot-holed MS scared brain, I am tempted to start a Dexcom tomorrow or Tue. My current Lire 10 day just ended tonite, but the miaomiao + Glimp will let me start later & do Dexcom. Since it will be Monday, I can call Dexcom SUPPORT (maybe?) if needed.

BTW think Chinese; MiaoMiao I hear translates to meow meow, or cat speak?

JD

@JDavid

The Dexcom sensor is MRI safe.

It is only the transmitter that is not.

The G6 transmitter can be popped out. Takes a little practice but we can pop out the G6 transmitter using meter strips. Wiggle the strip in like trying to open a door with a credit card.

Then after the MRI pop the transmitter back in.

If you do have to take the sensor out for the MRI, call Dex Tech Support and they should replace the sensor for you.

EDIT: The Dexcom user manual states that the Dexcom Sensor also is NOT MRI safe. Ultimately it is up to the MRI technician to decide. I have no concerns over the sensor being left in place without the transmitter if the MRI technician also agrees to it.

In reality, the more conservative approach would be to pull the sensor before the MRI and ask Dexcom Technical Support to send a replacement sensor

1 Like

THANKS a HEAP! That is good news. I will need to learn to remove transmitters anyway. I am NEW to Dexcom, but not new y any stretch to diabetes.

I will never forget my diabetes Dx. Had a sore throat, followed y pleurisy. Fam Dr REFUSED to see me for follow-up. said he had “sick patients that needed him”. Boss at work sen me to a Dr, who considered diabetes but dismissed the posiility, too thin, too old for Juvie D, in my early 30s, not near 40. Sent me back to work in time for lunch. Later, that same evening, meat wagon ride to ER, admitted in DKA! go figure!?!?!?!

JD never 4get.

@JDavid Per Dexcom rules you only take the transmitter out when you replace a sensor and then you snap the sensor in half and easily remove the transmitter so you can use it for the next sensor.

Unofficially we remove the transmitter by the above directions for various reasons.

Per Dexcom you can’t restart the sensors, unofficially we do *right now with the old transmitters but you aren’t suppose to and the new generation of transmitters is not letting people do it. But I have been wearing my sensors for about 25 days plus for each one.

I was misdiagnosed for over 9 years, but luckily medications made me sick so I was put on insulin fairly early so avoided getting really sick. My pcp and endo said I wasn’t a type 1 even though I asked because I had an uncle that died from type 1. They never tested me, it wasn’t until I switched doctors and was sent to a new endo that I was tested and diagnosed right.

1 Like

HI Marie…

wRONG dX IS NUTTIN NU 2 ME!

I was horsepitalized in DKA when initial Dx, & LABELED type-2. I went thru HELL for 26 months (off and on). Then when I was hospitalized for cancer surgery, they discovered my diabetes was a lot worse that they though. Another Dr was brought in, sent to D class & started insulin. After I hit 40, years later, relabeled as type-2. My Dx has been flipped many times. I was last relabeled as a TYPE-1 in 2007, when I was sent to a diabetes center. My type-1 is a weird one, type-1B. So rare its only 1 in a 100+ diabetics fit in this category.

I liken it to a never-ending, perpetual HONEYMOON.

Now with the Addison’s things got really weird, I became a “brittle” type-1. All is better now that my Addison’s is getting better treatment, with a new endo.

I could tell you a few plus horror stories, would take me to long to type 1/2 of them

R U talking about Dexcom-G5 or G6? I rec’d G6 units.

Thanks for the info

JD

@JDavid G6!