Waking up bitter

So today is the first day in a long time that I woke up really bitter about having diabetes. I usually have a real positive attitude, and try not to get overwhelmed. I have really unsupportive family who know NOTHING about diabetes, don’t get me wrong sometimes they ask to me to explain but midway through the conversation I realized there not even listening anymore. I don’t expect everyone around me to go run online and look up what diabetes is, but if your going to ask me about it atleast have the common courtesy to listen. Another thing I’ve been thinking about is that I had a co-worker/manger at work tell me a couple of weeks ago that “my disease make me high maintence” at first I didn’t let this bother me, but the more and more I think about it I’m starting to get mad. Who has the right to say that to someone? O’well, well thanks for letting me vent!!! I should get ready for work now!!

hi, Giovanna, I’m so glad you came here to vent! We all understand what it feels like. It’s hard enough to deal with when you have a supportive family. Whenever you need a caring, understanding “family”, please come here to visit your other family. Here is a discussion we had about “families just don’t get it” that had about 86 replies in a very short time period. I hope you had a good day at work, and are getting that positive attitude back!

Hi Giovanna, we know how you feel and it won’t be the last time you feel that way. Diabetes does have it’s ups and downs but that’s what makes it challenging. Websites like this one are for us to share our feelings and experiences with others and hopefully it will help…take care.

feel better! We’re hear for you!

It’s hard isn’t it. I’m in exactly the same boat. My family don’t get it what so ever, but I feel rude to put pressure on them to learn about it. If i was you I’d just ignore the bloke that made that comment, or have it out with him straight up! Some people are just to narrow minded for their own good. Just take it one step at a time, it’s not always going to be perfect, but I guess the harder we try the easier it becomes. Drop me a comment if you need anything =) not sure I’ll be able to defo help but I’ll give it a go.
Becca x

“Another thing I’ve been thinking about is that I had a co-worker/manger at work tell me a couple of weeks ago that “my disease make me high maintence”…”

So was this your manager, or someone who can influence your actual manager?

While the remark may not be appropriate from an Americans With Disabilities Act perspective, if I were to receive a remark like that, I would want to understand it better.

Is this just one person’s opinion, or does everyone think of you as “high maintenance”? I would also want to discuss how this manager thinks I might improve, since I am ALWAYS trying to do the best job possible, right?

ohhh, yes members of my family don’t get it, some don’t even listen and some can’t match their actions with their words…frustrating… and yet, I know they love me and want the best for me.