Weight Gain!

Dear Gerri.

Sounds yummy. Was the Sauerkraut raw as it comes from the jar or barrel in the old days. Raw sauerkraut is tasty but my tummy does not like raw cabagge, especially coleslaw. However when I go to Costco and get their hot dog. I ask for a paper plate and load it with sauerkraut, chopped onions and some relish and a small amount of hot peppers for flavor. I toss the yucky bun ( I would toss it even if I wasnt diabetic because it is awful tasting) and eat the veggy mix.

Dear Kelly.

Absolutely correct a lot of exercise is essential for diabetes management and even if you do not loose even one ounce you will be more fit. Might be good for the heart too. Since I started weight lifting 2 years ago my back pain is a distant memory. I had an ulcer at the same time as back pain and it felt like being transperced by a spear.

Did measure the urine and never fond any sugar in it even with readings in the 200s but I bet there will be a lot in the 400s.

My wife and I call going to the gym going to torture. She has a BMI of less than 25 but is not fit. Once doing the elliptic machine at a very modest rate her heart rate took off.

Dear Greg.

If I ate 90 grams per meal I would weight 500 lb. Actually not my friend Bob’s brother in law had diabetes kept on eating carbs and died at 265 lb.

Under normal weather conditions I walk after breakfast, lunch and supper about 11/2 hour daily …outdoors ( presently well below minus in the Interior of British Columbia , Canada.) Have been doing this( regular walking , spaced differently ) for well before I was diagnosed in 1983 with type 1 ) I am in training for the 1/2 marathon , Disney World , Jan . 10, 2009 . walk indoors at an ice rink . Am a pumper, wear a sensor most of the time, weigh in at 137 pounds, steady weight , am 68 years plus …and take in close to 200 grams of carbs daily , approx .23 u of insulin …last A1C at 7.0 …up from 6.8 …however fewer lows …what can I say :slight_smile: …this is my story . regular exercise, exercise, exercise …

From the barrel! My grandmother also made sauerkraut in a crock every now & then, It was the best. Can only get jar sauerkraut now where I live, but I check the label for the real stuff with nothing but cabbage & salt.

Oh that sounds good! Next time you’re at Costco have a plate for me.

Mt. Ark foods in Arkansas makes incredible sauerkraut. I order from them when they have it in stock. You have to try theirs.

Less carbs will help. Get full on veggies. Eat less than 60 carbs per meal and 20 for snacks. Then in a few weeks go to 55 carbs per meal and so on…