Weight loss and Type 1

I like the idea of doing more exercise on the weekends. Right now I am doing really well with exercise. Last night I was out literally all day and got home at 8:30 and went on my bike just because I wanted to get that in. I would have never done that before. I would have exercised on a day where I got home earlier, but not one I got home late.

I’ve heard that about weight loss being 90% about eating, too. Do you know of any books on that subject (I’m all into reading books about this stuff)?

I think one good thing is that I feel WAY better than I did six or seven weeks ago, even if I weigh pretty much the same. I’m planning to just keep doing what I’m doing until I drop, or maybe I need to be more aggressive somewhere, but for now I’m just trying to make all this stuff into a habit so I can just keep it up forever, even if/when I reach an ultimate ideal weight.

You might enjoy The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable by Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff S. Volek

This book is really aimed at medical professionals but was purposely written so the layman would not be intimidated. I found it very readable. Lots of explanations about how our body works backed up with scientific papers etc. The authors have published research in peer reviewed journals. Although not specifically written for diabetics it does have a chapter on diabetes. While saying exercise is very important, they explain how you are not going to exercise your way to weight loss.

One tip I picked up is that you need to add sodium to a low carb diet because your kidneys will start excreting more sodium as you start burning more fat.

I also liked their emphasis on our varying genetics and how some are more adapted to the agricultural revolution while others retain more of a hunter gatherer physiology. The disastrous experience of various groups of native peoples around the world with a western diet makes this a no brainer.

That’s a great book, Badmoon! So true that you can’t exercise off the pounds. Exercise ups the metabolism for a period & increasing muscle mass helps diabetics, but it’s food that’s the key.

I’ve been reading how people eat incorrectly before working out. The researcher talked about not eating several hours before working out & then immediately eating easily digestible protein after. He shot to hell all that carb loading stuff. His article wasn’t directed to PWD.

I also liked Gary Taubes “Why we get fat.” His earlier book “Good Calories, Bad Calories” is also good, but a much harder read. I have to admit, many of the books that I have read on these subjects come from bodybuilding. I know it sounds strange, but it you wanted to find ways to become “lean,” not surprisingly bodybuilders are the ones who will try anything and have uncovered some of the keys. Some of the latest thinking in bodybuilding involves following a very low carb diet (Bernstein level) and then using carb up meals/days in a strategic manner. Some people argue you should have a “cheat” day or meal. Others argue that you should eat carbs after a workout. But mostly, they argue that having some carbs keeps your body revved with a high metabolism and being mostly low carb assures that you are usually burning fat.

I liked “Why We Get Fat” a lot too, it was very readable and more of a history of science book than a “diet” book. It seemed to conclude that eating less carbs was important but also investigated different suggestions as to how many to eat and didn’t really come up with a definitive conclusion.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll see if my library has it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I put it on hold at my library. All copies were checked out, which must mean it’s good!

I’m a personal trainer. Weight management is about calories in vs out. People here will tell you that insulni makes you gain weight-- i don’t believe that at all, if you’re blood sugars are good your body will be functioning just like someone without diabetes.

But as far as weight loss. Eat nothing but whole wheat, fruit, veggies, lean meats, nuts, and some dairy. 3500 calories equals one pound so a 500 calorie deficit a day (3500) a week will make you lose a pound a week- whether it’s caloric deficit by diet or exercise or both. It’s not suggested you lose more than that though unless you’re like obese

Don’t weigh yourself everyday. I’d do it just one a month personally… the first of the month at the same time. Your body will flucate throughout the day. And you said you’ve been losing 1-2 pounds a month. That’s actually really good. It’s progress. Losing 20 pounds healthily will take about 4-5 months. People always want quick changes but that’s not how it works. Usually when people shift weight very quickly it’s not healthy. Also a lot of people who “SEEM” to lose a lot of weight quickly are really just losing water weight and glycogen stores because glycogen weighs a lot. Another reason you don’t want to lose too much is because you’ll be at more risk of losing muscle mass instead of fat (or both). Just be persistant and don’t give up.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend counting calories because that will make you paranoid and then you gotta do the math to figure out the amount of calories you need etc etc.

Just eat nothing but whole foods and exercise more. Say you exercise for 45 minutes and burn 250 calories and then eat 250 calories less, thats the 500 right there. 500 might sound like a lot of calories but it’s not— its basicly a banana with peanutt butter. And theres no real good way to measure how many calories you’re burning unfortunately just make sure (assuming you’re healthy) that you’re sweating or a little uncomfortable to talk when you exercise.

Some diabetics worry about the calories from the foods they eat when they’re low making a difference on weight loss. You might have to cut back on insulin if you start getting low a lot but don’t worry about that right now, you should be burning those calories overall.

I feel like i typed a lot, i’m not sure how much sense it made so if you have any questions you can just message me or whatever!
Good luck!

Ps what kind of exercising are you doing?

1 Like

Hi, Jen … This may sound kooky and possibly unrelated to your situation (apologies if that’s so!). Over the past year or so, I’ve been battling chronic hunger and have, as a result of consuming more calories than before, put on 10-15 pounds. To battle the hunger, I’m trying acupuncture. I’ve had acupuncture before, and while I’ve never been entirely convinced that it’s doing what it’s specifically supposed to be doing, I find the sessions very relaxing (in a buzzy, endorphin-producing kind of way, I guess?). I have partial coverage for the treatments through my Blue Cross plan, so I’m giving the appetite control / weight loss program a try. Here’s the link to the place I’m trying (Vancouver). If I didn’t enjoy the sessions anyway, I definitely wouldn’t be going this route, but if there’s any kind of weight loss bonus to the relaxation, I’ll let you know!

P.S. I do hard workouts every day. I think they definitely help to keep my weight within a certain range, but I haven’t found that adding more exercise does much for weight loss in the short term.

I dunno if anyone here counts calories. I think we all count carbohydrates way more than calories?

Re counting calories when exercising, I have a Garmin thingy (405 I think?) that keeps track of miles and pace and knows my weight. I don’t recall if it knows my height but it seems to do a reasonable job counting calories burnt. It works for walking, running and bicycling but is not set up for swimming. That being said, I am not sure that exercising more will guarantee weight loss either. Gary Taubes’ “Why We Get Fat” suggests that it doesn’t. I’m not sure. I’ve lost weight at the same time I was exercising but I’ve also modified my diet, gotten an insulin pump, gotten a CGM, tried different kinds of exercise, etc. and the thing I notice the most is when I say “don’t buy potato chips this week”, I’ll drop 5 lbs. Then I buy a bag to “reward” (sic) myself for having lost 5 lbs and blammo there they are again!

I am old school and I count both calories and carbs. I know a lot people don’t think you need to count calories, but my opinion is that if they knew how much they were eating in the first place, they wouldn’t be trying to lose weight. I am also of the belief that you need to do both to lose the weight. Every time that I gained weight, it was because I quit exercising. I gained about 65 pounds when my foot got infected - I was eating 1200 calories a day so the weight was from lack of exercise, not excessive eating. I didn’t change my diet when I lost it, I got back on the treadmill. There have been studies saying that you need to exercise 55 minutes a day, 5 days a week just to maintain week.

I count calories. I do it for bodybuilding though. And yes exercise alone will make you loss weight-if you’re doing enough of it (and depending on the type of exercise). It’s simple science- not to sound arrogant. Though, diet and health etc plays a big role as well and they all can effect one and other. And those 5 pounds from a potato chips isn’t a real reflection on weight gain or not. You can gain upwards to 7 pounds in a day depending on what you eat, drink, water retention etc.

I was going to write a separate message, but replying here makes just as much sense! I have also read that 90% of weight loss is in the kitchen. Exercise builds muscle, and keeps your heart and lungs healthy, but it also revs up your appetite, and you can EASILY eat far more calories after exercise than you burned.

For me, it’s definitely the carbs. No question about it. When I was depressed last year, and binged on carbs, I gained about 25 lb. Then after my coma, I decided to face reality, and I started limiting my carbs to about 60g per day. Not Bernsteinian, but definitely a lot less than I used to consume.

Well, the weight just melted off. I lost the 25 lb. and then some, and I was never hungry, except when it was appropriate to eat. My insulin dose came down, too. At my age (63) I will never be the svelte teenager I once was, but I’m at a normal BMI, and my lipid panel last time was the best ever.

And, AR, I’m one of the few who does NOT get the post-exercise endorphins. I NEVER feel good before, during or after exercise – I only do it because I do believe it has health benefits, although they’re not equal for everybody. I sort of envy you for having that motivation for exercise!!

1 Like

Just to let you know that I have read several papers recently that challenge the simplistic “calories in, calories out” notion. How many calories you use depends on your weight – fat people actually have higher metabolisms than thin people, because they have more tissue to support. If you reduce calories, yes, you will lose weight for a while, but it will stop as soon as you get to the new weight that needs that amount of calories to support it. If reducing 500 calories a day really worked long-term, a person doing that would eventually weigh ZERO, and we all know that doesn’t happen!

Also, many people think they are doing themselves a favor by eating whole-grain bread, but because the grain has been milled, it’s pretty much equivalent to eating white bread. That is, the wheat has been broken up, and presents more surfaces to be converted into glucose quickly. Same thing for oatmeal, and any other ground-up grain. So-called whole grain is really not the answer to the carb problem. Grain is really not necessary for human nutrition; all the nutrients and fiber it contains can be found in lower-carb vegetables and meat.

So, yes, eat healthy foods and exercise, but know what is healthy for YOUR body. Grain is not healthy for mine.

Hmmm, never is a really long time? I’m not sure how to fix that without trying to put you through your paces. I suspect my old martial arts instructor would say “you need to work out harder” but I can’t say that without seeing what you are doing! I often feel like garbage when I start working out, always having to leave chores and stuff undone to hit the road, often in a narrow window between the next wave of crappy weather (now that it’s fall…) and then hurrying up, trying to squeeze in showers and all that stuff too but I have always understood the endorphins to be a biological response and wonder if the probem might be “superstructural” as in if your brain says “I never feel good” you might be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy? One of my buddies @ U of I did a study that showed that students’ math scores improved after moderate exercise exposed to greenspace. I think their research may be more oriented towards the greenspace side of things but I think the exercise element is important.

Do you feel better after a more gonzo round of dancing? It might feel like a “social” buzz but I wouldn’t be suprised if that might also have produce some “happy juice”? Some of my martial arts buddies participated in a contradanse group in my former life and I recall them mentioning getting sweaty during dancing. For me it was finding something that I could be in charge of myself and it also helps to be disengaged from competitiion and just trying to push myself. But also to know when to chill out and take it easier?

I am a 48 yo divorced M with Type 1 diabetes and MS. I currently weigh 173 down from 230 4 years ago. I’ve had numerious reactions recently and Dr. lowered basal rate on pump. Says may have been happening due to weight loss. I live in Philadelphia Pa with 2 dogs

for me, exercise and cutting carbs helps. I don’t do Atkins or Paleo or anything extreme, but I try to limit my carb servings to 15-20g 3-4x a day. It’s when I am eating 40-60+g 3-4x a day is when I gain weight or stay where I’m at with exercise. I did that for just a week this summer while I was on vacation and I literally gained 15lbs of weight I had just lost. Now it’s coming off more slowly.

Also try testing for thyroid levels. Sometimes if they’re low it can affect your weight loss. Hypothyroidism is a common condition seen in people with diabetes.

Good luck to you!

Your advice is just the standard same old, same old. This is the advice that has failed millions. If it really worked, there wouldn’t be an obesity problem. In fact a recent study has shown that people following a 500 calorie deficit diet (as you recommend) uniformly failed to lose the weight predicted by the formula you gave. It just does not work that way.

If you are really into bodybuilding, then you know that macronutrient manipulation and timing has a huge effect. BodybuiIders routinely do low carb and controlled carb diets aimed specifically at manipulating insulin levels. A very popular bodybuilding approach uses a low carb and then only allows carbs after a workout when insulin sensitivity is high.

It is not “all about calories,” heck it is only marginally about calories. And to suggest this to diabetics who struggle with the effects of insulin is disheartening. I hear this message as clearly telling us as diabetics that our extra weight is a direct result of our personal failing. We won’t exercise and we can’t control our eating. Frankly, I don’t think that is Jen’s problem, she has already made significant effort to restrict calories and exercise, with little effect.

I would recommend that you would greatly benefit from reading “Why we get fat” by Gary Taubes.

1 Like

I think that basal rates and total daily dose are related to overall body size. The recommendations in “Using Insulin” by Walsh and “Think like a Pancreas” by Scheiner both reflect this relationship.

ps. I don’t think your basal change is related to living in Philadelphia or having 2 dogs, but I could be wrong.