Welcome! New members, please, introduce yourself

Hello All,

I have been lurking around here for almost 2 weeks, reading everything I can since my Type 2 diagnosis on July 18. The only standouts from the Lab results were my Fasting Glucose level of 341 mg/dL and an HGBA1C of 12.4 %. I started on Metformin 500 mg, one tablet twice a day (before breakfast and dinner) on July 21. Due to continued very high morning Fasting Glucose levels, my Doctor changed the dose on July 24 to two tablets twice a day (before breakfast and dinner). One day in the beginning of all this, I added a temporary testing time before lunch (probably something I read about on this site). I liked so much the window it provided to how I was doing in the middle of the day, so have continued to do it. The numbers are progressively going down, with the three July 23 readings being 370, 306, 261 and the three July 31 readings being 166, 132, 139. I know, still far from perfect, but I will take the improvement!

In my video appointment today with my Doctor he was hopeful that the downward trend will continue, but suggested adding Glipizide to bring down my numbers further as they are still out of the desired range. The dosage amounts and frequency were never discussed, but the Doctor left it up to me to start tomorrow on the Glipizide or wait another week to see where I am at and discuss it during our next video appointment. I made the decision to wait as my body is still adapting to the benefits of Metformin, a more restricted diet (now attempting very minimal daily carbs/sugars), and increased weekly amounts of aerobic exercise and strength training (full disclosure: besides lots of gardening, I had really fallen off my activity level for a number of months due to how generally “off” I was feeling. I now know it was because of having undiagnosed Type 2 Diabetes). I suggested to the Doctor (from reading it here) that I wanted to start taking Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) to help with some neuropathy symptoms that can uncomfortably, sometimes painfully, pop up in my feet and hands. I got the feeling that vitamins/supplements are not really part of their Diabetes treatment plan, but they will be for mine (I’m a lifelong vitamin/supplement user)! I was told by the Doctor that it may not help, but it probably wouldn’t cause any harm, so I will start taking it once daily on a empty stomach before lunch time.

If you read this far, thank you for taking the time. Though you can never get back the time you invested, you have unknowingly become an integral part of the support and guidance I need to fight each day moving forward against this insidious disease. For this I will be forever grateful…

John - New Type 2 Diabetic, Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea Patient (treated very successfully each night since 2011)

5 Likes

Welcome, thanks for sharing your story.

Welcome to the club John :blush: (@Jsgarden)

Welcome @Jsgarden! I’m glad to hear you’re improving each day. Congratulations!

Thank you for your warm welcome! I hope as I continue on this T2D journey to become a supportive part of of your community (@MM1, Jim_in_Calgary, Tapestry)
John

2 Likes

Hi; I’m Kent. I’m a Type 1 diabetic. Diagnosed October 19, 1982 at age 19. I have been an insulin pump user for 20 years. The past 2 1/2 years I have been using CGM and it has changed my life.

1 Like

Hi Kent, Welcome to the community. Thanks for joining, we look forward to interacting with you.

Duane, I am also a type 1, since 1969. I have been on insulin pumps for about 12 years now. I now have Medtronic’s 670G with cgm. I did not realize you could get a sensor to last longer than 6 days! I’d be interested in that!

Linda

Hi all,

I haven’t been in this site for a while. This site was really helpful to find answers in the community during hardship times.
A big hug to everyone.

I made a video in YouTube on my hacks and tricks to keep my blood sugar in control. It’s my first video, plenty of mistakes. And I was nervous all time. Anyways. I hope it helps and will be making more and better videos in the near future. Hugs.

1 Like

JS,

While waiting on my first pump and CGM, I allowed BGs to run higher (avg probably 150-160) to reduce the severity of hypo episodes. Peripheral neuropathy became very painful. After starting on pump with BG coming down, my neuropathy slowly moderated to tingling, numbness and low/tolerable level pain. I hope lower BGs will similarly lessen your neuropathy symptoms.

1 Like

Congrats on producing and publishing your video. I like your suggestions to use fasting and exercise to help manage blood sugar levels when taking insulin. I’ve found that the ability to explain concepts to others embeds that knowledge in my mind like few other learning modes.

I agree that a CGM is a fundamental tool for dosing insulin and managing glucose levels. I think it benefits anyone with glucose metabolism anomalies whether they use insulin or not. In fact, I think CGM technology could be successfully used to educate people with pre-diabetes about how their personal eating style affects their glucose levels. This needs to be used more.

Your physical fitness is impressive. Keep up the good work!

Hi all! I’m Ann, just starting the road to possible diagnosis…maybe LADA. I have lots of questions, though! I will do a separate post :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @AnnB. Welcome !!!

You’ll find lots of answers, opinions, and support here from newbies to oldtimers.

I’m one of the oldtimers, but still learn lots!

2 Likes

William7,

Sorry, just saw that you had posted a reply.

Yes the neuropathy has improved a lot with lower BG’s. I have found though that the hot Santa Ana type weather like we are currently experiencing in So Cal is causing an increase in episodes. I know it has only been a short time since starting treatment, so any improvement is welcome from what I was dealing with before my DX. Though to be completely honest, I really want to feel normal. At times it is as if it will never happen. I’m like the character Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka - “BUT I WANT IT NOW!”

My previous A1C of 12.4 now down to 8.2 (according to 9/21/20 Lab). Average 30 day BG is currently 117 mg/dl (3 before meal readings a day, 90% in range, 10% high). It is all still a work in progress (and sometimes confusion). Today my normal Saturday breakfast of Steel Cut Oats, Walnuts, Blueberries, and Cinnamon, eaten at 8:20 AM, produced a before lunch reading at 12:16 PM of 156 mg/dl. Very confusing the inconsistencies of Diabetes. For about 10 Saturdays in a row the same food is no problem, the next, well… :roll_eyes:

John

1 Like

Hi @AnnB - welcome to the forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

As @MM1 mentioned, there are hundreds (thousands?) of diabetics here, many lurk for years without posting. If you’ve got a question, chances are a few of our members have encountered it somewhere in their careers as diabetics.
Jim

1 Like

Hi. I was diagnosed about 4 months ago, but I’ve been expecting it all my life, as it runs deeply in our family. My paternal grandmother died from complications, as did my father. About 12 years ago, I lost 50 pounds, determined not to go “there” for as long as possible. Bad knees and not being as physically active lead to the pounds coming back - imagine that! Anyway, I’m extremely nervous and also depressed. My mother’s voice is in my head, “If your dad would just diet and exercise he’d be fine!” So, the guilt is strong. I feel like I did this to myself. My doctor has been great, assuring me that genetics plays a much larger roles and that I need to give myself a break. We tried diet for a few months, but then I had a total knee replacement, and since then, my numbers have been very high. (200s) I tried following what the dietician told me, and it was just not working - so, after discussing with my doctor, I am trying a low carb (Atkins) diet. After only 2 days, I had a reading of 187 today - the first time it’s been under 200 since my surgery. Has anyone else had success with Atkins? I’m hoping as I become more active again I can lose some of this weight, which I know will help, too. I’m trying not to stress - but I’m failing at that. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant a bit. I hope everyone has a good night.

2 Likes

I assume you are type 2 from your story.
Have you considered some metformin or in or something to bring you down while you adjust to lifestyle changes.?
I hate to think you are walking around with high sugars and no way to bring them down.

1 Like

Thanks for replying, and oops on my story. I have been taking 500mg Metformin for about 6 weeks. I do have some good news - after only 3 days on the very low-carb diet, I had the lowest reading I’ve had since my knee surgery. 171, and although I know it’s not great - it has been a big encouragement for me to keep going. Apparently, my body hates carbs.

1 Like

Hello, I’m 34 years old and was misdiagnosed with type 2 in July, 2020. I have since had the antibody test and have now been diagnosed with type 1. It has been quite an upheaval for my family but we are adapting and adjusting to the new normal. I feel like ‘New Normal’ could be the key term describing this year for many people. The T1D community here and on Beyond Type 1 has been a huge help with the transition.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Chris3 :wave:

As you can probably tell, we’re like family here, and no question is silly or off limits.
Jim