Welcome! New members, please, introduce yourself

Hi all! I’m Ann, just starting the road to possible diagnosis…maybe LADA. I have lots of questions, though! I will do a separate post :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @AnnB. Welcome !!!

You’ll find lots of answers, opinions, and support here from newbies to oldtimers.

I’m one of the oldtimers, but still learn lots!

2 Likes

William7,

Sorry, just saw that you had posted a reply.

Yes the neuropathy has improved a lot with lower BG’s. I have found though that the hot Santa Ana type weather like we are currently experiencing in So Cal is causing an increase in episodes. I know it has only been a short time since starting treatment, so any improvement is welcome from what I was dealing with before my DX. Though to be completely honest, I really want to feel normal. At times it is as if it will never happen. I’m like the character Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka - “BUT I WANT IT NOW!”

My previous A1C of 12.4 now down to 8.2 (according to 9/21/20 Lab). Average 30 day BG is currently 117 mg/dl (3 before meal readings a day, 90% in range, 10% high). It is all still a work in progress (and sometimes confusion). Today my normal Saturday breakfast of Steel Cut Oats, Walnuts, Blueberries, and Cinnamon, eaten at 8:20 AM, produced a before lunch reading at 12:16 PM of 156 mg/dl. Very confusing the inconsistencies of Diabetes. For about 10 Saturdays in a row the same food is no problem, the next, well… :roll_eyes:

John

1 Like

Hi @AnnB - welcome to the forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

As @MM1 mentioned, there are hundreds (thousands?) of diabetics here, many lurk for years without posting. If you’ve got a question, chances are a few of our members have encountered it somewhere in their careers as diabetics.
Jim

1 Like

Hi. I was diagnosed about 4 months ago, but I’ve been expecting it all my life, as it runs deeply in our family. My paternal grandmother died from complications, as did my father. About 12 years ago, I lost 50 pounds, determined not to go “there” for as long as possible. Bad knees and not being as physically active lead to the pounds coming back - imagine that! Anyway, I’m extremely nervous and also depressed. My mother’s voice is in my head, “If your dad would just diet and exercise he’d be fine!” So, the guilt is strong. I feel like I did this to myself. My doctor has been great, assuring me that genetics plays a much larger roles and that I need to give myself a break. We tried diet for a few months, but then I had a total knee replacement, and since then, my numbers have been very high. (200s) I tried following what the dietician told me, and it was just not working - so, after discussing with my doctor, I am trying a low carb (Atkins) diet. After only 2 days, I had a reading of 187 today - the first time it’s been under 200 since my surgery. Has anyone else had success with Atkins? I’m hoping as I become more active again I can lose some of this weight, which I know will help, too. I’m trying not to stress - but I’m failing at that. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant a bit. I hope everyone has a good night.

1 Like

I assume you are type 2 from your story.
Have you considered some metformin or in or something to bring you down while you adjust to lifestyle changes.?
I hate to think you are walking around with high sugars and no way to bring them down.

1 Like

Thanks for replying, and oops on my story. I have been taking 500mg Metformin for about 6 weeks. I do have some good news - after only 3 days on the very low-carb diet, I had the lowest reading I’ve had since my knee surgery. 171, and although I know it’s not great - it has been a big encouragement for me to keep going. Apparently, my body hates carbs.

1 Like

Hello, I’m 34 years old and was misdiagnosed with type 2 in July, 2020. I have since had the antibody test and have now been diagnosed with type 1. It has been quite an upheaval for my family but we are adapting and adjusting to the new normal. I feel like ‘New Normal’ could be the key term describing this year for many people. The T1D community here and on Beyond Type 1 has been a huge help with the transition.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Chris3 :wave:

As you can probably tell, we’re like family here, and no question is silly or off limits.
Jim

Thanks! I will have many questions to ask I’m sure.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

My name is Austin. I was diagnosed when I was 9 back in 2004. I am 26 now. I currently am still doing pen injections and have a CGM. I had a pump when I was younger but between sports and always being connected to something I decided to go back to pens. I am doing well with my health currently (last A1c was 5.7) but it hasn’t always been that easy for me.

I’m new to the whole forum game. I am excited to be here and learn more from all of my fellow diabetics out there!

2 Likes

Hello - I’m Mia. I just read about this forum on Facebook and sounds great - hoping to find some people who can help me figure out my new insulin pump.

I’m type 1 since 1994 (13 years). Been on a pump since 2015, just switched to Tandem and Dexcom with Control IQ. Not sure about it yet, still trying to fine tune levels and figure out if it’s actually doing a better job than I can. Would love to hear others experiences.

I’m in London and have recently completed my second (and final!) diabetic pregnancy, with two gorgeous kids to show for it,

1 Like

Hi, Chris3. I’m MichaelWme, and I was mis-diagnosed in 1989 as Type 2 because I was 39. Many GPs figure Type 1 must be Juveniles (the old name for Type 1), so if you’re more than 30 when newly diagnosed, you must be Type 2. Fortunately, I eventually got it all sorted when I found an Endo who put me on intensive MDI.
Since I moved, I’ve met many doctors, some of whom said diabetic patients don’t have the skills to check their own blood sugar, and some who said one must follow the doctor’s prescription and take the same insulin every day at the same time and always eat the same things from the diabetic menu they give you at the exact same times they tell you, but I never listen to them. And my HbA1c is less than 6.5

1 Like

Hi, I’m Jenny, incorrectly diagnosed as Type 2 in May, begged doc to give me antibody tests since I had never had high blood sugar in my life (he finally did 3 months later) and am vindicated!, but sad and scared, to have LADA. When diagnosed after feeling sick for months (thought I had Covid, so achy and no energy) had blurry vision, blood sugar of 347 and 9.4 A1C. Put me on Metformin and glipizide, went super low carb, and got my A1C down to 5.4 and was feeling normal. However, at about 2 1/2 months started feeling bad (the weird feeling of blood sugar not being normal, sometimes it was in the 160s, sometimes 90s). Before we got the blood tests back that I had LADA, doc took me off of glipizide because he though I was feeling bad because my sugar was going too low.
Now, just on Metformin and continuing with low carb diet, fasting glucose in the morning from 110-125, most blood sugar readings in the 110-156 range thanks to Metformin and low carb, but often feeling weird and low energy, mostly midday. I know I am in the ‘honeymoon’ phase and will enter the world of insulin at some point, but am glad to have found a place here to seek answers and get advice since I know no one with TID. I usually wake up feeling achy and headachy in the morning, which is when I guess my blood sugar is relatively low, for me, and asked my endocrinologist about it. She said that the achy-ness must be from something else, since that blood sugar reading wasn’t really low. That gave me great confidence in her! (sorry for the sarcasm!). Thanks for any advice!

1 Like

Amen to that–glad to have you with us!

She’s right that the fasting BG you report is not low by normal standards. It’s important to note, though, that what level starts feeling low is very individual, very much contingent on what you’ve been used to, and changes as your control gets better. There was a time when anything below 80 felt scary-low to me, and now I can hardly notice until I’m in the 50s. Some people who have been running 200-300 start feeling woozy as high as 150+, so that’s something to be aware of, though your numbers look better than that from what you report.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and please feel free to post any questions you have. It’s a great community.

Welcome!

I was misdiagnosed at 36 and put on a 1200 calorie diet. I was student teaching when it became obvious I was a type 1. Being too thin with very high blood sugars made it a challenge to control a class of 9th graders. Thirty years later I am still trying out new ways to limit lows and highs while living an active life. The G6 CGM and Omnipod have given me best results so far.

1 Like

I’m new here and I don’t know what my actual status is! A year ago I had extensive lab work done unrelated to sugar metabolism. I’ve had FBGs in the mid 90’s for years, with them sometimes being in the high 90’s, and always thought it was odd to be considered “normal” when my FBG was one or two points from the next category of pre-diabetes! Anyway, these labs included an insulin resistance/diabetes panel which provided an A1C for the first time, and it was 5.7! My insulin was normal at 5 (US) and my c-peptide was also in the middle of normal range. All other values were normal EXCEPT that I had an Anti-GAD Ab of 15. I didn’t know what that meant and my practitioner said simply that I was pre-diabetic and needed to eat fewer carbs, avoid processed carbs and sugar. I don’t think she even knew what type 1.5 was.

Fast forward a year, and in wanting to avoid going on statins I began to look at stuff on youtube about cholesterol and inflammation. I learned about sugar metabolism being a major part of the equation from videos by Dr. Ford Brewer on youtube. I thought I’d perhaps perform a home Oral Glucose Tolerance Test since I’m a bit of a science geek, so I obtained some dextrose and a glucose meter, and took 75 g of dextrose. My 1 hr was 193 and my 2 hr was 143. I actually went hypo to 58 at 3 hr with shakes, so ate to shake that off. I was quite alarmed. So I sought out a practice that was up on inflammation and diabetes with an alternative flair (IOW, not into slamming people on statins automatically). See, my inflammatory markers a year ago were quite good, with my triglycerides around 80 and HDL high, so my TG:HDL ratio was very good. I also had a coronary artery calcium scan which scored 0.

Anyway, I had started looking at that antibody result a year ago and began to really freak out. What if I’m LADA still in the honeymoon phase?!! I was and still am horrified by the thought of becoming an insulin-dependent diabetic. I began eating HFLC for about 6 weeks before having labs done again. However, I did not resume eating carbs for three days before the tests as I have subsequently been told one should do.

My labs came back with
A1C 5.5
c-peptide 0.8
insulin 3.5
GAD65 Ab 0
IA-2 Ab 0

My PA said she considered me no longer pre-diabetic. But on testing myself after meals with hi GI carbs, I still spike above normal. Not as bad as the OGTT but 1 hr of 150 or 160 after eating bad stuff like cinnamon raisin toast (just testing myself, not a normal part of my diet).

The information I don’t have and want to know is: What is my insulin actually doing?

My extended family does not have diabetes. I suspect insulin resistance since heart stuff and high cholesterol seem to be a family thing. Mom is 87 and Dad is 91, never diagnosed as pre-diabetic to the best of my knowledge. My brother, a tall fellow who only ever gets a belly pudge when he gains weight, told me he was told he was pre-diabetic. He’s with Kayser and they are preventive so probably did the more thorough labs.

So, I don’t know what to consider myself at this point. Low TGs, not overweight, no other metabolic syndrome symptoms so don’t really fit “insulin resistance,” but without knowing what my insulin is doing, how can you know for sure?

1 Like

Hi Anniesue, only today I joined TuDiabetes and will be adding a post soon on your topic and a few others. I was diagnosed in June 2019 as a 72 y.o. LADA Type 1, with an initial blood glucose of 277 and A1c of 11.3%- no genetic history. It surprised the heck out of me, for sure. I had eaten the Standard Am. Diet(SAD) for a lifetime. My brother, not a diabetic, had been an Atkins proponent for years. Like you, the “nutritionists” tried to get me to eat “healthy” carbs- not good results. So I converted to a Low Carb/High Fat (LCHF) lifestyle (not quite Atkins, but similar), eating under 20- 30 net carbs a day with approx 70% fat and 25-30% protein. I use a free app that helps me track that really well with each meal, but I don’t know the rules for listing such on the forum. I’d be glad to share that info, if it’s okay. I went from 213 to 123 lbs in less than a year–without exercising. Losing that excess weight was for my health. Doing so has helped me maintain a 1x/day basal dose of 10-13 units. I only recently even started using a pre-meal bolus of Humalog. My recent 14 day blood glucose rdgs average has been 124. My Sept A1c was 5.7%. My son (a non-diabetic) was inspired and followed the same plan and lost 37 pounds in 4 months. You can lose weight and it will help your health, so don’t be discouraged. Read as much as you can. I’d be glad to share any way I can.

2 Likes