Welcome! New members, please, introduce yourself

I was diagnosed in pre-op bloodwork for a TKR. Even though I had grown up around diabetes, I was overwhelmed by the amount of info I didn’t know! Read everything you can, test you BC & find out what foods send your numbers up. For me, the number of carbs suggested by the ADA diet sent my numbers up instead of down, and so I had to adjust my carb intake to get good results. It’s a journey and different for everyone. Best of luck to you and try not to freak! (I did, so I know that’s hard.)

1 Like

Update: 22 weeks on Atkins and just got my A1c 3 month checkup. 5.6!!! Down from 7.2. And, I’ve lost 25 pounds. I’m having great BG readings, and got to add some raspberries to my diet today. :slight_smile: It’s working for me, so far. I know everyone’s path/body is different.

3 Likes

Don’t you love it when a plan comes together. Well done!

2 Likes

Thank you! I am determined to stay on track…3 months at a time. My doctor was very happy - and sadly - she said that not many of her patients are like me. :frowning: Thank you again!

What if you are lower I’m usually 18 or 19. It’s really genetics I think. Maybe some of it is bad habits but not the whole thing

Not a newbie here by any means, but testing something since I never introduced myself.

I’m Type 1. Diagnosed 31 years ago now. I use Novolog insulin. I use a T:slim X2 insulin pump with Control-IQ and a Dexcom G6 CGM.

Do I get my badges now???

3 Likes

Hi everybody,
I was diagnose with T1 diabetes a month ago.
I am 27 years student in Canada.
I hope I can find support and informations on starting to manage this condition.

Thank you ^^

1 Like

Welcome to TuD, @MEL2! Peer support can really make a difference in how well you manage your diabetes. You will learn many things that your doctor will never tell you. Those of us who count our experience in decades have a lot to share.

Post any questions you may have. I was diagnosed with T1D at the age of 30, similar to your diagnosis age. Diagnosis at this age is not as unusual as people think.

Welcome! We are a fun knowledgeable group, willing to help anyway we can. And remember whatever question you might have, there is probably many others wondering the same thing, so ask away!
Good luck with your new job. Thankfully there is a lot of tools in the toolbox now, so you can find what will work best for you at this point in your life.

Never got to introducing myself although I’ve read lots and posted some! I joined earlier this year when deciding if I wanted to make the switch to pump from MDI which I’ve been doing since diagnosis at age 28, nearly 30 yrs ago.
Correctly diagnosed as T1!
A year ago I started with CGM - Dexcom and it made a huge difference. For a long time I had been able to keep A1C in a decent range 7 ish) but the last few years it’s been 8-8.5. Six months after starting CGM it was 6.2. Last test was 6.5. Now I’ve been a few months on the pump, Tandem with C-iq, we’ll see how close to six I can get!
Embrace the technology. Being connected isn’t THAT bad

I dropped to 5.5% and I stay pretty stable there with tandem ciq.
I was hovering around 7 before I got tandem and dexcom

CGM tech has made a large contribution to the quality of the lives of many who live with diabetes. I rate it as one of the top three treatments that gives me a more normal life. The other two, for me, are insulin itself and a carb-limited way of eating.

The secret power of the CGM that many don’t use, is its ability to educate us as to the effect of everyday habits like food choices, pre-bolusing (or not), and exercise.

Paying attention to the data-stream of the CGM can not only keep you safe in the moment, it can also fuel your motivation if you choose to experiment and draw lessons from the glucose trace it produces. It is an incredible education on the unique metabolism that is you!

Looking back at the last two weeks of data on a regular basis helps me steer my daily glucose trace more than I ever thought possible. I’ve found that if I regularly review my recent data, it rewards me.

I’ve read that most CGM users simply use it for its real-time glucose monitoring (a big safety benefit!) and miss the powerful insights available if you follow the statistics. That may seem like a dry topic that you suspect would bore you to death, but the first time you implement a change based on that data and it works, it won’t seem like dry data anymore.

Hi! I’m Lisa, a 44-year veteran of Type ! diabetes. I’ve tuned in here from time to time to keep up with diabetes news. Maybe I can contribute to the conversation in some way!

I’ve been a children’s book author/illustrator for the past 30 years as well as an art director/graphic designer in publishing.

I’ve seen so many changes in diabetes care over time, from urine testing to test strips to CGMs; Lente beef/pork insulin to Humalog and insulin pumps; highly restricted diets to understanding how carbs/protein/fat play a role in blood sugar control. Diabetes care has come a long way, and so have I.

Diabetes management can be discouraging, so I hope I can at least be a positive voice when you have those frustrating moments. I hope you can do the same for me.

3 Likes

Hi everybody! I recently found this place and feel the need to say that I’m completely blown away by the amount of in depth knowledge, compassion, as well as willingness to help others found here. I hope the fact that I’m from Europe doesn’t matter and I apologize in advance if my English is not always on point.

About me, well… I have diabetes, I guess. All I know is that my BG is spiking. Currently close to 8 months in, my diagnosis varies in regards to which doctor I see. That, of course, has left me on my own, so I am learning like crazy and connecting the dots myself. I still have a ton of questions and, hopefully, some of them can be answered by you guys.

Looking forward to being part of this community.
I wish you the best, as you all definitely deserve it.

Ana

2 Likes

We have members from many countries and we don’t mind language differences, we will find a way to work through them if they arise,.

Welcome to TuDiabetes

2 Likes

I’ve stuck with this site for a long time because it has, as the saying goes, a high signal-to-noise ratio. Searching the long history of threads available here is a real treasure of good information when you are new to the site, and you’ll find lots of generous help for current topics. Wherever in the world you are, any spelling or grammar issues are not a problem.
Welcome!

1 Like

Haven’t heard of that saying, but I like it. It really describes it perfectly.

I am doing diligent work here and have already found some valuable information. As if the diabetes part isn’t overwhelming enough by itself, being labeled as annoying for having questions or told I’m overcomplicating (?!) makes the whole situation even harder to withstand mentally. This enviroment is a true refreshment. My point is: do keep up with that. It does make a difference.

Thank you!

2 Likes