What Are Some (Diabetes) Things You Know You Shouldn't Do But Do Anyways?

A doctor told me to watch out for drinking because of lows. Then I looked it up online and it said something about alcohol helping your pancreas produce insulin…I guess it doesnt really matter as long as you know to eat when drinking, lol…As for higher calories I am not sure about that. I do know if I drink a fruity drink or one that has more sugar then it will increase my BG out of control. So I do not eating anything when drinking those and I never go low…

Basically you have to find what works for your body…

I just love this thread!!! LOL…it lets me know there are some out there who are living their lives and keeping it real wtih this diabetes thing.

1. I am guilty using the same lancet (just because I get lazy and don’t want to change it).

2. Taking more fast acting than needed because I plan to eat more carbs than I should…

such is life!! LOL

Guilty as charged!

Well I do not always tell them because I need more insulin then what they want to prescribe. For example I told my newest endo that I split up my Lantus and he really questioned me on it. He had a problem with it because he didnt prescribe it when its really no difference how I take my insulin as long as I take it. I told him if I was on the pump them it would be broken down instead of one lump injection, then he was like ok…They always tell me to increase my insulin by one unit, that doesnt cut it all the time so I do what I feel works for me…I have not had good experiences with my doctors. Listening to them and not listening to my body almost killed me once and I will not do it again…I have tried straightforward and it got me nowhere, I have always had those arrogant doctors who prescribe me based on the fact that I have diabetes and not me. Talking and reasoning is out of the question, it is always something I am doing wrong. I also told my newest endo that I have unexplained morning highs and he automatically said it was something I was eating before bed. I told him it wasnt then he just started doing something else and ignored me, then I asked well could a restless sleep or nightmare affect my BG and he says it might. But did he offer that bit of info, no…

My experience is almost like those outsourced customer service people you call when your cable is out and all they can do is tell you whats on the paper in front of them. They do not deviate, they do not ask a manager, they are adamant about what they are required to say.

All I know is I didnt have a doctor for 8 months and my A1c was the lowest it has ever been. My kidneys, thyroids, cholesterol, everything is in perfect condition…I am in my twenties with T1 diabetes. I have to live with this for the rest of my life not them. Its not going anywhere and it can get alot worst so I chose to be my own doctor…

with reds my #s are way high but with white my #s are normal… surprising though. I think red has more sugar

Sweet reds or dry reds?

What’s wrong with licking the blood?

I am so happy to read that everyone reuses the lancets! I thought I was bad replacing it about once a month! When the doctor asks why I don’t need a prescription for lancets I think I’m being really bad. The nurse once stared at me in horror when I described my testing. I got a talking-to about how our skin is our first line of defense etc.

And here I was thinking I was a bad diabetic…a lone wolf in the relm of re-using pen tips and lancets HAHAHA. Now I know there is a whole pack of us.

Def guily of 1, 3, 4 and 10 but can add a couple to that list…
11) Doing injections through clothing

1. Eating chocolate - great to fix a hypo, not so great to snack on at other times!

I’m sure there are others but they are the only two that come to me right now…

I certainly understand your reasoning. I would probably be the same way if I had bad doctors. I’ve been lucky, because my docs have always cooperated with me. I hope you find a cooperative one, who knows what he or she is doing, too! :slight_smile:

I definitely reuse lancets til they bounce off. I don’t wipe the top of my insulin vial with alcohol before I draw out to put it in my pod. I don’t always wash my hands before testing…sometimes I lick my finger and wipe it hard on my jeans to “clean” the site (I know, if I’ve eaten anything, there’s sugar in my saliva that will adhere to my finger and throw off the result). I always lick my finger after I test lol…I’m weird, I love the taste of my own blood. I bolus about 1/2 before I eat, and the rest after I’m done, if I finish (because a lot of times I don’t eat everything, and I’d rather not HAVE to eat just because I already bolused for it, even tho doing it that way makes me high for a while if I do finish). I’m sure there’s more but I have to run my son to Boy Scouts now :o)

I think the ice with scotch keeps it from getting too intense, on the other hand wine is not usually drunk with ice.

I went to a single malt scotch tasting recently and drank everything neat. And VERY slowly. I was fine after it was all over.

Cigar – no not for me. :slight_smile:

I do that ALL the time, unfortunately. Sometimes, I’ve even taken insulin to correct without actually checking it first :confused:

That’s what I’m saying! :slight_smile:

LOL Jeska, the lick and wipe on jeans method has always worked fine for me too :slight_smile: Lancets get changed when they start to hurt. Why waste that good blood? It’s protein! Stick ‘n’ lick. I did this in front of my CDE once and she didn’t even blink :slight_smile:

What a fun thread! Thanks for starting it Trev.

Pink cookies. They get me every time.

In a galaxy far, far away, and long, long ago, I was taking a diabetes class, and we tested, and I licked my finger, and got publicly scolded by the endo who was teaching the class. It freaked me out so much that I have never again been able to lick my finger. I have a folded tissue in my meter case, and have fun decorating it with blood blobs in fancy patterns. So I guess there’s an upside to this story! :slight_smile:

Me too :slight_smile:

While eating chocolate is a great rule breaker, its not a particularly good hypo fix! - Its mostly fat and candies that are mostly glucose are better - I know chocolate tastes better!!!

Uhmmm that and reuse of lancets dont count as things you should not do in my book they are standard operating procedure!!

Hahahahaaaaa… wow- I really got to get my husband to read this!! LOL- this is so cool. I do all of this stuff and… now I don’t feel like a freak! WOOT!