What are some good things about having Diabetes

I thought of something else that is good …but this is mostly personal for me. I have always been pretty shy esp. around new people, I would always avoid social situations where I didn’t know anyone that I could hang out with because I felt awkward talking to strangers. Although I never cared what people thought of me, now it is even more so that I almost have no fear of social situations anymore even if I don’t know anyone. I kind of have this “Who cares anymore? as I could be dead in a year” attitude and I am more outgoing. I don’t know - maybe it is facing your morality and knowing I have a secret (at least to most people) that makes me less fearful. Or feeling like I am starting a “new life” in a way?

Does anyone else feel more fearless?

nope. sometimes the reward is worth the pain :wink:

I like other see NO positive in having diabetes (or any other disease/illness).

Tha being said–when I was 8 I had total kidney failure–I should have died–but time an place and Gods grace–I got an experimental surgery that saved my life (other children I was hospitalized had had multiple surgeries and died)

They did not think I would live to adulthood
Thye told me I coudln’t have babies

I am still living (and I LIVE LIFE)
I had 2 healthy children who are now married, and I am a grandma too!

as my grandma would say–when life gives you lemons–make lemonade…or in other words…you have to make a new normal and make the best of your life you can.

And on days when you need support–all the TuD family is here to listen and support

the fact that this is managable!!! You take your care into your own hands, you wern’t handed a death sentance (as you get with some diseases) Take the tools you need, and can find and be healthy! You control you Diabetes… it by no means has to control you!

Wow…I never knew that – a shame that pina coladas don’t have that same lowering effect!!! :slight_smile:

I do like the grossing out squeamish people bit; it gave me a smile. I gave a shot once in front of a friend and thought he would have a heart attack. I don’t do that anymore (except in place I don’t know the people - which are many.)

Here, here!

For me, straight alcohol (or with non-sugar mixers) and wine either lower or have no effect on blood sugar. Beer, on the other hand is pretty carby. If I have a beer (I drink dark beers) with a meal, it is usually a lower carb meal and I count it as 14 carbs. I know some people drink light beers but since I drink beer for the taste, not the buzz…

Someone said that the guy who says something can’t be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it. Touche.

Yes. You realize diabetes isn’t so bad when you walk through some hospital wards.

You don’t have to have a note for domestic flights. I got one, but didn’t need it.

Hotels will empty the fridge out so you can store your medical supplies.
If you cant think of an answer at work, you can say, “I need to eat somcething. Let me get back to you in 15 min.”

Cool gadgets, like the eatsmart scale. Almost makes weighing your food fun.
Gives my boyfriend something to do to feel needed. He writes down the carbs, fiber, and protein in food for me. You know, men need to feel needed.

Being diabetic sucks. Constant math. Never a day off. different insulin requirements different times of the month. Different carb ratios different times of the day. If you don’t know any terms here, just ask. We’re all pretty nice, unless a political topic comes up. = )

If you have T1, there are much worse autoimmune diseases, though: MS, UC (ulcerative colitis), PBC (primary biliary chirrosis - chirrosis of the liver that is caused by a defective immune system, not by drinking or meds), lupus, narcolepsy, the list goes on and on. Well, maybe narcolepsy isn’t as bad, but the others are worse.

Not sure if you’ve read any books, but try Think Like a Pancreas. You can get it on Amazon, among other places. It changed my life, and I was Type 1 for 25 years when I read it.

“when life gives you lemons–make lemonade” - then bolus :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been T1 for 50 years and my life is better because of it, odd as that sounds. I’m healthier, more independent, self-assured and mature. I have never regretted having D nor have i ever been burned out. The reason is simple: D doesn’t limit me in anyway. I’ve covered every presidential campaign since 1988 which means lots and lots of travel and odd hours. I’ve covered wars, including iraq and a long list of natural disasters in some very harsh places.

Here’s the truth (for me at least) - I’m healthier, more accomplished and better off because of my diabetes than if I didn’t have it. I eat better; pay closer attention to my body and things that matter. I’m 51 and healthier than 99 percent of people on the street; In my spare time I ref college soccer which means I have to sprint with college athletes.

I have zero complications; I’ve never been to the hospital for a D-related event; never incapacitated by a high or low (I didn’t know what glucagon was until two months ago and have never purchased it or used it); never had a seizure. No one at work has even known I’m diabetic nor do my close friends. Only my wife, kids and doctor.

So … my life is good. I honestly never had a day where I’ve regretted D and it never stopped me from doing things in life. It is what it is and I deal with it.

Are there hard days? Yes, of course. But they are relatively few and you start fresh every morning. Diabetes does not close any options in life; it’s not a painful disease and with today’s tools it can be managed well. A long, happy life is clearly in reach.

I assume your friend has a mental condition? Seriously, the only “good” thing about having diabetes is to be alerted to the need for proper nutrition, losing weight (if applicable), motivation for better body care/exercise, and to be able to control numbers before the devastating complications which could arise. Personally I would want to slap the crap out of my friend. :slight_smile:

Im with you on that! I love a good German or microbrew mix. So so yummy! Sla’inte’!!!

Her friend has HIV.

I am so with you on the german brews they are the best!!

There are some good things that sneak up here and there. When you’re low and someone asks if they can have some of your snack you can say no and not be thought of as rude for not sharing. I always have alcohol swabs in my purse which can come in handy when no soap is available. I don’t do this often but you can use diabetes to get out of things, like fake a low. At the end of the day the disease is manageable. I would not say it is fun and I would love to keep it around but there are a lot of worse things in life.