What are the best things you have learned from being a member of TuD?

i have learned that i am not alone. i have learned that i am teachable and can improve the quality of my life; that i can have a sense of humor about living with a disease that is very challenging; that i can eat foods i never thought i could eat (successfully, speaking); that i am not defined by my D; that i am a valuable person who deserves to be as healthy as i want to be.

there are so many more things i could list, but i want to hear from you.

3 Likes

I have learned that there is a culture of people with diabetes, built around our shared experiences, and that it’s a culture I love! We have in-jokes, commonly understood short-hand (like knowing “I’m so high” has nothing to do with drugs), and a wealth of compassion for one another. I never knew this existed before I found TuDiabetes.

7 Likes

!. I am not alone in my struggle. I am not alone in my emotional state. I am not alone in my complications. I am not alone at all.

1. I have received in-depth education about this disease myself and my family have had for a very long time. It blows me away how little I knew, why did my doctor’s never teach me?

2. I have learned about other sites and the DOC. I never knew how connected we diabetics are online.

2 Likes

I have learned that my diabetes wasn’t as bad as I once thought. I have a history of being really really hard on myself. When I joined, I discovered that we all struggle with the ins and outs of diabetes.

I’ve also made some true friends that I may not ever meet in person, but they are so important to me.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

isn’t it wonderful!!!

emily, it is always a pleasure and a treat to hear from you. and, even more, you have such an open mindedness about you that is refreshing and helpful. i am very grateful for that.

1 Like

Sadly this conversation doesn’t apply to me as I am T2.

1 Like

@Pastelpainter, I think @Daisy_Mae probably posted this conversation in the T1 forum category because she herself has type 1, but it’s definitely a topic and ALL our community members can participate in! I’ve moved it to the Community section of our forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this topic applies to ALL those of us who participate as members of TuD. you don’t need to be a Type 1.

Deleted by Poster…Sorry

1 Like

@Judith, I have that badge too, I am not really enthusiastic about the badge thing on this platform so I just ignore them.
TuD has given me information I need to survive as a diabetic. In the early days when I was besieged by information, much of it conflicting, TuD helped me sort through the information and bravely set forth on a low carb diet. I have to say I am still learning.

2 Likes

I also learned from being a member that I call this place home. I love coming home every day to people that struggle with the same things I do. But, they also enjoy life and refuse to let diabetes get them down.

When I see someone coming into my home and bringing the mood down, it disappoints me. That’s how much this place means to me.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

I have learned that Type 2’s have a lot more in common with Type 1’s than I thought, and that EVERYONE’s Diabetes is unique and that we all need to fight D TOGETHER!

3 Likes