What are You Doing for World Diabetes Day?

Sheryl and I are doing the BigBlueTest with the Indy Adult D community at 11 AM followed by a D lunch time meet up. I will miss two tweet ups I really wanted to attend. But well, commitments. After I get home i will go twitter up baby

rick

1 Like

lol i was diagnosed on this day last year hahahah just my luck hey!

Wore blue and sat outside in the sunshine frantically trying to eat a honey and macadamia nut icecream before it melted. Was 38C today!

1 Like

I have to tell you I truly understand how you feel. I feel like society has just accepted this misconception that Type 2 diabetes is a condition caused by poor lifestyle choices. And like you I donā€™t really feel at home on WDD. Where exactly would I advocate as a Type 2. Sure there are lots of people out there advocating for a cure. Are they talking about a cure for Type 2? No. It isnā€™t even part of the conversation. And any major advocacies for Type 2 I frankly donā€™t relate to.

Consider this, we have the WDD official platform, from the IDF saying that if people adopted a ā€œhealthy lifestyleā€ the vast majority of Type 2 could be prevented. I can stand up and say bullhockey, but at least for now we have deaf ears. So yes, like you I really donā€™t feel at home with WDD. No way am I going to go out and advocate for a lie, telling people that their unhealthy lifestyle is causing diabetes. That is not only wrong and hurting people but it leaves those of us with Type 2 with the idea that we caused our diabetes and we should walk through life feeling blame and stigma. I just canā€™t in my heart get behind such a movement.

Instead, Iā€™m going to have a quiet lunch with a dear friend with diabetes. Iā€™ll wear my BigBlueTest T-shirt. But like you I just donā€™t feel like WDD is for me. Which is truly unfortunate. Someday I hope to figure out how to help fix things but at least now perhaps I can at least make you feel understood and not alone.

2 Likes

This WDD feels a bit strange to me: itā€™s the first time since 2007 that I am in a different role, outside of Diabetes Hands Foundation, but still looking actively for ways to make a difference (and doing at least one #BigBlueTest every day!)

Yesterday, I gathered my colleagues at Livongo and we took this pic in support of the #insulin4all campaign.

BTW, I canā€™t describe how happy it makes me to see the ease of use of TuDiabetes from my mobile!! :smile:

Big blue hug, to everyone!!

2 Likes

I had a FANTASTIC World Diabetes Day with some great guys from Diabetes And Sports Health (DASH) in West Oakland, CA! We talked with passers by about WDD and diabetes, and then did a Big Blue Test together by going for a short running tour of some of Oaklandā€™s incredible murals. Iā€™m so sore!!!

4 Likes