What are your 7, 14, and 30 day meter averages? Keeping it real

Twenty years ago, I worked 50-60 hours each week, took 1-2 college courses and spent 10-15 hours each week bicycling. And I spent parts of 3-4 days each week co-parenting as a divorced single dad. All the while I had one eye on the big D. Just writing about it tires me out!

Excellent! What's your secret?

Another thing, off-loading the insulin math onto the pump is one of the pump's strong points.

When I was last on MDI, I remember constantly scribbling on a piece of paper and using a calculator, calculating IOB and what corrections, if any were needed. Funny, I remember trying to do the math when I was really low and all I really needed was a couple of glucose tabs! The low brain works in strange ways.

I also remember trying to figure out whether I took my meal dose or not. My older brain is not up to those memory demands any longer!

7 days = 88.5
14 days = 86.6
30 days = 84.2

I had some nasty spikes the past 2-3 days so I'm surprised it is this good.. I think it's due to being hypo a lot lately too...

I also noticed my last a1c did not match up to my phone's records, my average was 100 then but my a1c was 5.7, so I'm wondering really how accurate any of this is?

I think this is my big problem. I'm working full-time (plus some overtime), working as a research assistant "on the side", involved in several volunteer committees, and am completing my master's thesis and also working on several other academic projects to "get my name out". I sometimes think I've taken on too much and need to back off so I can work on diabetes, but then I also HATE the idea of diabetes "limiting" me in any way. Ultimately, I need to somehow find a balance between my life and doing what needs to be done for managing diabetes.

I think I'm also slightly burnt out because I was planning on finishing my master's degree this summer but now have had to apply for a six-month extension. Nothing under my control - I just can't find enough research participants for my study! So between being super busy and that disappointment, my motivation has taken a major hit.

I know everything I "need" to do, but lately things like weighing foods, packing meals when I'm out all day, exercising daily, and logging everything just seems way too time-consuming! I find myself doing some of these things on some days but not others, but I need to do all of them consistently to get and keep decent control. Sometimes I remind myself that at least I'm testing regularly, bolusing for everything, changing pump sites, taking my other medications, and refilling prescriptions and keeping up with doctor's appointments regularly ...

meee - Wow. I had to check your profile to add some context to your numbers. I'm guessing that you still have some endogenous insulin production. That, combined with your low carb regimen has given you a virtually gluco-normal experience. These are non-diabetic numbers. In fact, I read a report recently that showed the composite 14-day blood glucose levels of a non-diabetic as measured by a CGM. The average blood glucose was 90 mg/dL and the standard deviation was 15 - an incredibly tightly controlled BG range.

Congrats on figuring out so quickly how to optimize and use your remaining working beta cells. Your experience shows me what I could have done back in 1984 when I was diagnosed if I had known then what I now know. So much has been learned in the intervening 30 years.

Saying that though, you are definitely ahead of medical mainstream thinking. Was going low-carb your idea? If so, what did your doctor say to your management style?

If I were a research endocrinologist, I would want to document what you are doing. It is truly ground-breaking!

Yes - do watch out for those hypos. BG variability can produce a lot of stress. An 88 average with frequent excursions between 50 and 150 are hard on the body and at the cellular level.

Overall, you are really doing your body a tremendous favor. Good luck to you.

Straight off the pdm:
7 day: 79 (Hi/lo 116/53)
14 day: 82 (Hi/lo 121/51)
30 day: 83 (Hi/lo 127/48)

My latest A1C was 5.6(114), and according to my meter i should be in the high 4s...so, not that im not happy with these numbers, but im wondering if i want to try get those averages even lower if my meter is reading high. Im putting in the work already to maintain these blood sugars, so it wouldnt be hard to drop a few more pts. Has anyone else had issues with a1c not matching meter readings?

I have similar numbers to you, with my A1C being higher than my meter by about the same magnitude as you. I researched this, and it seems like aside from the meter reading a bit low, its biological factors like hemoglobin lifespan, etc. I also read that if you have really tight control a1c may read a bit high because it was orginally developed on and for people with slightly elevated A1c..dont know if thats true or not, but did read an article on it.

we're glad norm is with you too, Terry. Such kind, helpful and encouraging words you always post here to others. it's appreciated!

and, I won't post mine..ugh!

We all did, Sarah! It's useful information!

Haha um… Well I exercise regularly, and that really helps. My pump and CGM are a big help…just got the CGM 2 months ago. Also I e learned to not be afraid of blousing big - I used to think, oh no I can’t possibly need that much insulin, for something I knew was really carby…now I just go with it, it’s almost never “too much.”

Sarah - We know you're having a hard time. Share as you see fit. This forum is here to help, not hinder. Thank you for your compliments and comments. Take care.

My averages (and SD) are:

7 day - 123 (26)
14 day - 120 (22)
30 day - 119 (20)
90 day - 117 (19)

My last HbA1c was 5.7% which corresponds to an eAG of 117 mg/dl.

Yes, you do need the courage of your conviction when it comes to delivering insulin. Think about it. Insulin is such a Dr, Jekyl, Mr. Hyde kind of med. We need it everyday, just to live, but it can kill us in about 15 minutes! We play this game, unaware of all the rules, and one decision can, in the thousands we make each year, take us out for good.

I don't know what I'd do without the CGM. I remember when I got it. I was in the process of struggling to pull my A1c down from a high of 8.5%. Three months after I got the CGM my A1c dropped by a full point. I was able to eliminate the sustained overnight lows as well as the subsequent half-day morning rebounds to 200-300. Ugh. I hated that. I remember waking up and seeing visual distortions like you get when a camera flash causes visual spots. I knew then my morning was ruined.

You're doing such a great job - I took a peak at your profile! If you don't mind me asking, did you always take such good care of your BGs or did some event cause you to step up and take ownership of your diabetes?

Brian - Talk about discipline, your numbers are very consistent. I suspect your 180-day average and standard deviation are in line with the other data. Your eAG also correlates nicely with your 90-day average, textbook, in fact.

Did you know that a non-diabetic has a SD of 15? It's simply amazing the exquisite BG control that a healthy metabolism produces. And most non-diabetics just take it for granted, like breathing!

I'm gaining a deepening appreciation for glucose variability as measured by standard deviation (SD). Here are my SD numbers based on my CGM data:

7 day: 27
14 day: 26
30 day: 29
90 day: 32

I've found that my meter data SD is very close to my CGM SD.

Shawn, Our meters are notoriously inaccurate. The standard is +/- 20% for readings above 75 mg/dL and +/- 15 mg/dL for readings at 75 mg/dL and below. I just read an article written in a medical professional journal that documented that many meters, once they pass through FDA approval, then fall out of compliance with the FDA accuracy standard. There's also a problem with test strip quality and consistency. I haven't taken a close look at my meter average correlation with my A1c, but I will next time.

Like meee, your numbers amaze me. A non-diabetic has an average BG of 90. You already have a non-diabetic average! If I were you, I would start monitoring the standard deviation of your BGs. If your meter can be uploaded to a computer program written by your meter company, it will usually have the standard deviation number. You could probably shoot for the low 20's.

Another possible goal, instead of a lower average, would be to keep the same average but eliminate any readings below 60. Even if you had to sacrifice some from your average, just remember that non-diabetics average 90. Reducing the number of hypos would improve the quality of your life.

I wonder how long you can extend your viable beta cells?

Oh, I wish I'd always cared as much as I do now. I was 11 when I was diagnosed, and I was your typical D teenager - ate what I felt like, dosed when I felt like it (I've only been on the pump for a year and a half), pretty much pretended diabetes was a non-thing. It wasn't until I was maybe 25 that I really took control of things. There was no specific thing, but I had a panic attack one morning, no longer able to convince myself that it was no big deal. Best panic attack I've ever had! :) First thing I did was go see a therapist - I figured, if I know what I need to do for 15 years and I'm not doing it, I need to figure out my head first. It's been up and down since then, but my A1c has gone steadily down, from averaging in the upper-8s to it's current 5.8. I guess I just grew up.

I am afraid to check mine out

That accuracy standard only requires that 95% of readings be +/- 20% and +/- 15 mg/dL.

Whether you post them here or not, do yourself a favor and take a look. Now, I need to steel up the courage to check out my stock portfolio after the steep drop in prices this week!