What constitutes a hypo?

the feeling of low comes from an adrenal response to the emergency of low blood sugar. the adrenal response is just that… a response. the hypo, as you call it, is by definition “low blood sugar” a number… a specific number. the body may or may not respond, how ever you have it trained. what you call a false low is your body replying to a rapid shift in blood sugar… if you are high (say 300) and you drop rapidly to 150, you are not hypoglycemic, but you have the response…

I originally asked a question, because I don’t think any particular number is the definition. What very little work has been done on blood sugar levels of non-diabetics, without impaired glucose metabolism, suggests that normal blood glucose is actually pretty low, somewhere in the 3 - 5 mmol/l range(54 -90). How then can the number 4(72) define a hypo?
I caused myself one yesterday, which was stupid and avoidable. I was working in the garden( yard) potting up plants and felt wobbly. I thought at first it was down to my postural hypotension, but I didn’t feel any better after I stood up. So I went in and checked BG: 3.1(56). this is something that doesn’t often happen to me. so I ate a piece of shortbread and waited. I managed to get back to just under 5 and felt better.
I think it must have been the heat. the temperature was about 26deg C Near 79 deg F. We’re not used to that sort of thing in Southern England and the change from cold and wet has come suddenly.

“How then can the number 4(72) define a hypo?”

I told you the answer to that already. The average normal low end for blood sugar is around 60. back when insulin and sulfonylureas were the only treatment it was decided to raise the low blood sugar floor to 4 mmol/l or 70 mg/dl because it would be help reduce the number of blood sugars under 60. I don’t go by that number as low, I go by 60. However, it has been shown that blood sugar lower than that does do permanent damage to the brain regardless of symptoms. Having hypo symptoms at 100 or 120 doesn’t cause brain damage.

On your testing and range. It’s fairly easy to “fake” a range, either intentionally or unintentionally. I could test 2 different times a day and my blood sugar would be in the 70-90 range. However, I know that’s not realistic so I use my tests when I’m pretty confident it will be the highest. Even if you can only test once a week you can still gain useful information.

For me, I do not like to be below 70 at any time…I have had too many severe lows in the past, and thought I was actually going to die. My Endo has told me that anytime I am under 100 and still have humalog on board, to watch it…and I do. I will have a small snack to stay there.

I would rather be 100 or so than below 70. Hypo’s in my opinion, do much damage to the brain. I can not function below 70, because I dont ever seem to just stay at that level. I will keep on going down.

Hate, hate, hate…Hypo’s. Would much rather take my chance’s and stay in the mid 100 range!! Only feel good at 70 or so first thing in the am.

Listen to Dr Mercola on insulin. He believes that into 3 figures is too high. I use mmol/l and 100mg/dl = 5.5mmol/l That is at the higher end of where I like to be. but I don’t use insulin or medication which promotes insulin production. I’m sure that would make a difference. I’m certain Mercola is a bit of a nut, but what he says makes sense on this subject.

Dr Mercola is an osteopath and a salesman, as far as I know he has no authority on diabetes. He has also been reprimanded by the FDA for more than one claim about products he promotes and claims he makes in general. Your “nut” opinion is a valid one.