What do expect, from your doctor

Now this is my reaction, but a recent post, itself was not a big deal, but the person who submitted that post, was located in what i would consider a very conservative US location. my history is that I am a gay male, who at a time when it was it was not legal to marry, was the primary care giver for my partner who was terminally ill with aids. Which we handled with a lot of legal work And major additiute. I have read a lot about T2’s who are blamed for their condition.
Just a question Have you ever asked your PC If they would provide care according to existing law or opt out for deeply held religious beliefs ? Which might not be yours. And deny you care?

Nope, have never asked my providers about their beliefs. If I am not happy with the care they offer, then I would just move on to another provider. I would not want to work with a provider who was not happy with me for any reason any more than I would want to work with a provider I was not happy with, everything else being equal.

It is interesting in medicine, business, government how some people prefer to work with a totally incompetent person they like rather than a highly competent person they don’t care for.

3 Likes

Same here, if I am not happy, I would just switch. Why would it be beneficial to force the issue?

I think T2’s do tend to get ‘blamed’ more. But, T1’s also get blamed a lot. I think this is pretty common across the entire community of people with illness. In general, diabetes is far less stigmatized than other medical conditions. I think it is a protective mechanism to ‘blame people for their illness,’ that helps people who have trouble confronting the realities of life and death, and sickness and health. To some degree, it has historical foundations and might help people feel like they have more control over things that are relatively uncontrollable (like death).

In some ways, diabetes is an excellent platform through which we can have conversations about that. As a less stigmatized condition, we can do a lot of good there. I feel a bit obligated to be open about my illness as a means of furthering conversations about illness in general. I recognize that there are many, many people for whom being open about it comes with a great deal more risk. Mental illness, mood disorders, substance abuse, HIV, and many more fall into the category of highly stigmatized conditions.

I have never asked a care provider about their religious beliefs. But, in some ways I think its just better to be open about it. If someone doesn’t want to provide me care, then I don’t want them providing me care. That situation arises frequently for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, one doesn’t always get to choose their provider.

https://science.jrank.org/pages/cma5hkecsy/Epilepsy-Seizures-Historical-Perspective.html

How are movies about exorcism sorta an obvious literal portrayal/metaphor for epilepsy? (and, health and illness more generally) I can’t find a good clip. Its still dark here and these horror movie clips are scaring the crap out of me. I am now too scared to let the dog out.

In some ways, epilepsy is more closely bound with religion. Sister Wendy was an epileptic. Michelangelo is widely believed to be gay.

1 Like

I haven’t thought about this before. I always assumed, may still assume, that medical doctors are professionals and that they will set aside personal philosophies when they conflict with the medical needs of their patients. I’ve seen many doctors over my entire lifetime and have not run into this scenario.

That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. Likely this situation is similar to “white privilege.” Those of us who enjoy it are blinded by it until we’re forced to consider it.

What I do sense from my doctors is an unthinking adherence on their part to comply with medical dogma and a reluctance to consider clinical realities in a new light. While this is certainly not true across the board, this thinking is prevalent enough.

I’ve heard it said that clinical medicine is slow to change and that it only improves one funeral at a time – that’s one older doctor at a time. Sometimes only death can cure inflexible clinging to unenlightened thinking.

5 Likes

As a gay male I have usually had to search for a Gay friendly doctor. The first question I ask the office. It varies by area of the US. But Often they are quite up front and just say no. So it takes some research and some wasted appointments.

I realized that I end up doing the same looking for a PC for my T2, Now it is usually based on medical approach. but I have had a doctor ask me if I believe in God! Hopefully T2 won’t be classified as a moral defect. At least no more that it already has.

I’m a straight, white female but if my doctor made a judgmental remark on others’ sexual orientation or religion, I would still find another doctor simply because that behavior is inappropriate and shows very poor boundaries.

Not the same issue as yours, but I have refused to see several doctors based on their uneducated and judgmental treatment of me due to having a mental illness.

2 Likes

So true in so many different areas!