What do you consider TOO LOW to operate an automobile?

Jaclyn-
I totally think I run the risk of road rage over 250. My kids will attest to it! LOL
I desperately want a CGMS, but am having trouble with my insurance.

I also try to run as close to 100 as possible, but I know I’d feel better with 80/90 days.

I’m so glad that I got low at work tonight and decided to ask this question. The answers have been great!
E

I don’t like to drive when 80 in case I start to go lower. My target BG is 90. I’ve felt really low at 70 & fine at 50, so I don’t trust my awareness.

I eat Jelly Belly jelly beans, too! Have sat in my car testing & popping jelly beans many times.

Peanut M &M 's

Gerri-
I LOVE my Jelly Belly’s. I carry them everywhere!
I find they keep my sugar deprived mind focused by figuring out which flavor or color will get me out of the low. Today it became a color focus which turned out to be some funky popcorn flavor

Oh, now this could bring up a whole other forum topic…
My experience has taught me that i’m better with 15 grams carb of a super sweet item (OJ or jelly belly’s for example).
If I do something like milk or peanut m&m’s my reaction time (or return to reasonable BG) is much slower so I keep eating.

Funny how we all have different reactions to things, huh?

But I love peanut M&M 's. Yeah yeah I know apple juice works better for me. Did I mention I like Peanut M&M’s a lot? LOL

Rick Phillips

See, my problem exactly! I end up eating too many peanut m&m’s and then end up with the high bg and total road rage LOL.
Ahh… the life of a diabetic. We are a fun bunch aren’t we??? :slight_smile:

Erin:

There’s one response here that I agree with. It’s from Saundra. How do you feel when you get low. Do you feel it or does it sneak up on you? You need to take into consideration how you feel … are you shaky? can you see clearly? can you think rationally?

If in doubt, TREAT!

One interesting question is … has the law said anything about this? Are there cases out there that have caught the public’s eye? Does it fall under the laws about drunk driving? Maybe it would be good to ask someone in the field of law.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Lois-
You’ve got a good point there. I saw a few other responses that were in relation to that. I think it is like any other “day” in the life of a diabetic. No two days are identical. Lows are never the same, highs are never the same. It all varies.

Personally, I don’t drive under 80, but today the low came on fast. I used a different salad dressing for lunch (less carb/calories) and obviously overdosed the pump (minor OD but just enough to drop). It hit me again now… I’m 49. So, I’ve learned that this particular dressing (while better for the diet I just started Monday) will have to be more closely monitored. I also skipped the croutons, so I live and learn.

I decided to post the question and see what others had to say since I’d already called home to say I was not getting in the car and was sitting there staring at my TuD page. The replies have been fun!

I drive when I’m at 130/160 and I stop to check my BG one hour after because I go Low fast. Two months ago I was driving my Clio Renault( it is new and red) and I felt a big low: I stopped the car and I was at 43 ! I ate two little pieces of sugar (10 g) and one cake and I waited 15 minutes to check again my BG :it was going to 77. So I started to drive again. But at 43 my driving was normal, no trouble vision. But it’s dangerous!

I agree with the above 130 as a safe number to drive with but I have a different problem ,sometimes my bloodsugar has registered at like 160 and I feel that dropping feeling ( like how you feel right after you take insulin) and I will keep a bottle of soda In my car cup holder and just take little sips as I drive and until that dropping feeling goes away and I always test once my drive is over and my blood sugar usually registors around 130 …so my point is this if your 160 and feel week thirsty irritable ( all those blood sugar symptoms ) or if you just feel weird ( low sugar symptoms) you should react more to how you feel instead of what the number on the machine says …I have been 90 and felt thirsty and week and than tested an hour later and been above 200 and I have had other times where I’m 90 and I feel terrible and 20 minutes later I’m 40 and I have had other days where I’m 90 and I feel great and I test an hour later and I’m still either 90 or maybe 80 or 100 and that’s when I think " wow this is what it feels like to not have diabetes " …I believe that your feelings never lie and you should trust them

75+, unless i have significant amounts of bolus insulin on board and i did not just eat, in which case i aim for 100 or so. i’ll pop a roll of smarties before i start driving if i’m borderline/worried.

i use 100 as the point at which i wll treat for a low before driving. It’s a nice round number

Because the CGMS is not fool proof and meters can by law be 20% with no questions asked, you could according to your meter be 80 but actually be 60. Then think of the meters that may not meet the requirements and are way off.

Meters should have a narrower margin for accuracy, our lives and everyone else’s depend on those readings.

Don’t wait to be a victim or cause of an auto accident before you take this subject seriously, drive safely. My number would be 100.

Some out in Cali was arrested after he had a low and got into an accident. They treat it as medical impairment in some states and your Doc can have the state take away your license if you have issues with it dropping a lot. I am on the road a lot so I check mine about every 1.5 to 2 hours to make sure I am not going low.

100 is my all-time driving target.

And I always check to see if I have IOB.

Yesterday for example I was 112 after I got in my car. I had enough insulin on board to take me down to about 88. So I ate half a glucose tab and considered myself ok.

This is a difficult q to answer and I’m not sure that there is a ‘one size fits all’ solution…I also think I have some pretty good ‘qualifications’ and experience to draw from here :wink:

Basically not every diabetic hypos at the same BG level - some feel early symptoms at a BG of 90 and some don’t feel anything until a BG of 50 or lower. At the end of the day, YOU should know at what level of BG means that you shouldn’t drive. Of course you do get people with hypo unawareness and without mentioning names, some members of tuD have had car accidents because of this. Of course this is why you test BG before stepping behind the wheel. As most replies have said here, work out a level for you, above the point of you starting to feel symptoms and eat if needed.

As an aside, I read a reply that said that they take extra glucose on board before driving on an autobahn…why? The facts are that driving fast produces adrenalin - in turn adrenalin causes the body to dump sugar into the bloodstream ready for the fight or flight response. Have you ever tested your sugar after driving on the autobahn at spirited speed? I learnt pretty quickly that I have to carefully balance my food intake, together with my insulin while racing my car - not to prevent hypos but to prevent high blood sugar too.

I will not drive below 90

Below 70 for me. Keep snacks on hand in the car for me and the girls, I haven’t driven long r to distance since DX, but drive airport equipment all night long at work. I test through the night and if I am in the 70-80 range I will eat a half a sandwich(20 carb). Test below 70 pull over pop a gluc tab and eat a half wait a few minutes then back to work.