What do you think about Diet soda?

Do you believe that Diet Soda makes you gain weight??? On the diet soda can under the Nutrition Facts for 1 can… It says 0 Calories, Total Fat 0g,
Sodium 40mg, Total Carbs 0g and Protein 0g… There’s NO sugar… How does diet soda makes you gain weight??? I would like to know!!!

Well, it does have sodium.
Sodium can make you retain water, thus adding water weight. I had a 3-4 can a day Diet Coke habit that I gave up. Now I only drink water, and after the 2nd week, I don’t miss soda. I guess like everything else, too much of something isn’t very good.

NO WAY----i never have and never will. —Everyone believes somethign is bad for you…but 40mg of sodium is 2% of the recommended daily allowance - i sincerely doubt a diet soda or 2 is gonna make you retain more water or ruin your heart or kill you.

I just think that those opposed to diet soda never had a kid with diabetes or they are a health nut - I was a kid with diabetes and i am clearly NOT a health nut.

Thanks for the reply Lea… I only drink one a diet soda a day… It’s my coffee for the morning… After that I drink water or iced tea unsweet…

I don’t think it does. The sodium might make you hold water but I have drank Diet Coke for a very long time and have never gained weight from it. before that it was diet rite cola or tab.

MONDAY, July 23 (HealthDay News) – Drinking more than one soda a day – even if it’s the sugar-free diet kind – is associated with an increased incidence of metabolic syndrome, a cluster of risk factors linked to the development of diabetes and cardiovascular disease, a study finds.

ADVERTISEMENT

The link to diet soda found in the study was “striking” but not entirely a surprise, said Dr. Ramachandran Vasan, study senior author and professor of medicine at Boston University School of Medicine. There had been some hints of it in earlier studies, he said.

“But this is the first study to show the association in a prospective fashion and in a large population,” Vasan said.

That population consisted of more than 6,000 participants in the Framingham Heart Study, which has been following residents of a Massachusetts town since 1948. When the soda portion of the study began, all participants were free of metabolic syndrome, a collection of risk factors including high blood pressure, elevated levels of the blood fats called triglycerides, low levels of the artery-protecting HDL cholesterol, high fasting blood sugar levels and excessive waist circumference. Metabolic syndrome is the presence of three or more of these risk factors.

Over the four years of the study, people who consumed more than one soft drink of any kind a day were 44 percent more likely to develop metabolic syndrome than those who didn’t drink a soda a day.

The findings are published in the July 24 issue of the journal Circulation.

A variety of explanations, none proven, have been proposed for the link between diet soft drink consumption and metabolic syndrome, Vasan said. That association was evident even when the researchers accounted for other factors, such as levels of saturated fat and fiber in the diet, total calorie intake, smoking and physical activity.

One theory is that the high sweetness of all soft drinks makes a person more prone to eat sugary, fattening foods. Another is that the caramel content of soft drinks promotes metabolic changes that lead to insulin resistance. “These are hotly debated by nutritional experts,” Vasan said.

Vasan, who noted that he is not a nutritional expert, said he leans toward the theory that “this is a marker of dietary behavior” – that people who like to drink sweet soda also like to eat the kind of foods that cardiac nutritionists warn against.

“But we cannot infer causality,” Vasan said, meaning there is no proof that soda itself is the villain. “We have an association. Maybe it is a causal one or maybe it is a marker of something else.”

Carefully controlled animal studies might resolve the cause-and-effect issue, he said.

Dr. Elizabeth G. Nabel, director of the U.S. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, which funds the Framingham Heart Study, said in a prepared statement: “Other studies have shown that the extra calories and sugar in soft drinks contribute to weight gain, and therefore heart disease risk. This study echoes those findings by extending the link to all soft drinks and the metabolic syndrome.”

Dr. Suzanne R. Steinbaum, director of Women and Heart Disease at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, said, “There is no safe way of eating junk food, just as we learned the lesson from trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils often found in fat-free or low-fat cookies. Diet soda does not protect us from the development of what we are trying to avoid by consuming it.”

I found this on Yahoo.com

Thanks for the replies… The people who does these studies, thinks everything is bad for you… I don’t care if has sugar in or not… But They drives you crazy…

I know it does tend to bloat some people but that’s not really gaining weight. Caffeine can make you more hungry and I think too many artificial sweeteners can hurt your stomach. But I dont believe it will make you gain weight. I guess moderation is the key just like anything else.

I love it. I’ve heard that people can gain weight on diet soda, because the sugary taste creates a craving for food or sugar. The idea is that it tricks you into snacking. I’ve never noticed that personally though.

I think Diet Pepsi is one of my “trigge foods” - that I associate it with eating other junk stuff.
I also know a couple of people who swear that it makes them retain water, but I agree that the amount of sodium is pretty low. My doctor recommends keeping total daily sodium consumption under 2400 mg.

That study was silly and misleading… there’s a “correlation” between obesity and use of diet soda, but it’s not a “causal” relationship. In other words, obese people consume plenty of diet soda, but the diet soda didn’t cause it.
Not surprisingly, the press didn’t spell that out. :slight_smile: Here’s the important quotes:

How does Fowler explain her findings? For one, she says that people who are already gaining weight might be more likely to adopt the use of diet soft drinks. Two, the use of diet soft drinks may be a marker for previous regular soft drink use, or other lifestyle choices that contribute to weight gain. Three, the person who chooses a diet beverage may feel like they can eat more because of the calorie savings.

From here.

Good observation, Marcus.

Still, I am trying to keep my soda intake to a minimum. When I do get one, it’s a Diet Coke with Splenda.

That’s a good idea… I became diabetic 1 month after Diet Coke came to market… I figure I’ll be the first “canary in the mine” to die if it’s found to be dangerous.

Diet soda certainly doesn’t directly cause weight gain, but its chemical content and carbonation do have certain metabolic effects, and the fact that you’re getting a “freebie” has a psychological impact. Typically, people will eat/snack more if they drink diet soda. This isn’t something us diabetics have to worry about so much, though, since we have to be so stringent with our eating habits anyway.

Have been drinking diet soda for 40 years, TAB, Fresca, etc. Diet Coke forever, gave it up two weeks ago, and doing okay with it.

New article today.

http://body.aol.com/news/articles/_a/diet-sodas-linked-with-health-risks/20070724112809990001

I’ve given up diet coke now and then throughout my lifetime. But, I never lost weight by not drinking it. Don’t think I’ve gained weight by drinking it, either. I do enjoy my diet cokes.

I heard this a researched it a bit. ‘They’ say this because there are people out there that believe that because they opted for the diet soda, they can eat more. For example, drinking a diet soda with lunch and not the regular - but letting your self have dessert. its not the diet soda causing weight gain, but the other stuff that is being consumed.

In my very small amount of research, its just a matter of using a catchy headline for news reports and such.

I was just told that it takes longer to hydrate us since the body has to work through all the stuff in it, so water is better-but that’s a big “duh” lol. I give my son diet sprite sometimes, I think there’s worth things in life to consume than diet pop.

I make my own diet soda, partly because of all the extra crap they put in commercial soda, but mostly because I’m allergic as hell to NutraSweet. What few sodas are made with sucralose (I can’t stand the taste of acesulfame potassium) aren’t widely distributed enough to find, and are too expensive to import over the web. I think Diet Cricket Cola is made with sucralose, as it Fitz’s Diet Root Beer, but both cost a buck for a 12 oz bottle, plus shipping. I can make gallons of soda for a buck.

I have my own CO2 tank, regulator, hoses, etc., and got a set of “Carbonator Caps” from a company called Liquid Bread, that screw onto a 2-liter bottle, and connect to a standard ball-lock soda-tank quick release fitting. I make my own soda extracts and flavorings, as well as use the commercial “Rainbow” brand extracts for simple stuff like root beer and cola, and use sucralose and sometimes liquid stevia for sweetening. One of the more flavorful and healthy things I carbonate is the powdered Emergen-C drink mix, in various flavors. I also add a little concentrated pomegranate syrup to filtered water and make my own flavored seltzer. The amount of carbohydrate is about 2-5 grams for 2 liters for the seltzer, depending on how strong I make it. The Emergen-C soda has 20 calories per liter, 2 GRAMS of vitamin C, and a skrutload of vitamin B and minerals.

I’m working on diet versions of two of my regular sodas next – cinnamon ginger beer and key lime pie soda. They worked perfectly when made with table sugar and carbonated with champagne yeast, but I haven’t tried doing it with sucralose yet.

Why diet sodas might make you gain weight…hmmm…I’ve heard a theory that it has to do with the sweet taste triggering an insulin response in the body as though you had actually eaten something containing real sugar. It tricks your body into thinking you have more sugar in your system than you really do, and your body turns off cell absorption of glucose early, resulting in more nutrient storage as fat. It also follows that it might lead to insulin resistance, if the sensory mechanism that measures sugar input is confused too often and breaks down. But I am not a doctor, and don’t play one on TV. I just think there has to be more to the process than just the digestive end – in any process, sampling of sensory data, feedback, and control are integral parts, and most diabetic regimens ignore all but the control portion, which is dealt with on the destination-side, through food control, exercise, and medications that control how the stuff is metabolized in the body. Little attention is paid to fixing, or even investigating, the body’s own mechanism for sensing blood glucose and exercising appropriate feedback to control it. Diabetes is, when all is said and done, a breakdown of the body’s feedback mechanism on one end of the spectrum or the other – I hypothesize due to a failure of the body’s own glucose sensors.

Enough rambling for now.

That’s very cool … someday maybe I’ll try making my own. For the time being, however, I do have a vending machine filled with diet sodas in my living room!