What has been the biggest change in diabetes management since you were first dxed?

I was diagnosed in 1987. I took R and NPH and had the test strips where you compared the color with the spectrum on the side of the bottle. My diet consisted of “exchanges” and there was no sugar allowed whatsoever.

Since then: rapid-acting and basal insulins, better meters, MDI then pumps and finally CGMs. Carb counting and a relaxing of the no sugar rule. Only very very recently did I learn about Dr. Bernstein and LCHF diets…I wish I had known about that years ago!

[quote=“Sam19, post:10, topic:57622, full:true”]What are they thinking? Do they know something we don’t? Are they just collectively brainwashed (and if so how did that come to be)? In the more educated circles do the other benefits of eating carbohydrates outweigh the negative effect they have on bg management? are we the stupid ones egging each other on over the internet into eating a way that modern medicine nearly universally rejects?
[/quote]My theory for why this is, which I’ve had for some time, pretty simple: “Balanced nutrition” isn’t seen as anything different for a diabetic than for a “normal” by the medical/health profession. So doctors et al literally think – naively – that the mix of calories is simply a matter or healthy eating for everyone.

LCHF has not been viewed as a healthy mix of nutrients until very recently. Even now, it’s still unsettled, and there’s serious debate. It certainly isn’t being promoted as the “correct” way everyone should be eating, as a matter of routine. Even though the idea and some adherence has been around for some time with a small number of people, it isn’t yet considered a completely healthy, normal, mainstream way to meet one’s nutritional needs.

The natural association between being fat and eating fat is very, very powerful. Not surprising, as it’s a natural, logical connection to make.

Absent “common sense” contradictory education, all sorts of things we “know” that are in fact wrong persist.

It took us a long time to figure out the earth is spinning rather than the sun orbiting around us, as our senses and sensibilities tell us something quite different than reality.

1 Like

Touché-- and realize that throughout the vast majority of human history we didn’t just “think” things like this… we absolutely “knew” them with as much certainty as anything we know now… right up until the point that we didn’t.

From a type 2 stand point the biggest difference has been in the drugs to treat it. My first med was a sulfonylurea with the second being metformin. There have been many drugs added in my 25 years as a T2. I believe I was prescribed all of the until I was switched to MDI insulin.

Another change I have seen is more willingness among doctors to prescribe insulin and insulin pumps to Type 2s. When I started pumping there were fewer than one hundred and fifty stated T2 pumpers (not everyone completes the questionnaire) among the 15,000 TuDiabetes members at the time.

1 Like

Home blood testing is by far the biggest change.

1 Like

Re: the refusal to consider low carb diets objectively, I’m afraid the explanation is more prosaic and less complex. Primarily it stems from the cholesterol myth that began in the 1950s. Most of the “fat is bad for you” dogma was politics, not science. But it rapidly came to be accepted as revealed wisdom, and since high fat diets were bad, and taking the fat out of food tended to reduce its flavor and make it less appetizing, the natural response was to add more carbs to restore the missing flavor. So since everybody was worried about fat and nobody was giving a second thought to carbohydrate, diets biased toward carbs just came to be accepted and not questioned.

1 Like