What insurance is most OmniPod friendly?

You can buy them straight from the pump company (Insulet) for $300 for a box of 10.

Paying $249 saves $600 a year compared to the company price $300. I can not justify throwing $600 away. Also itā€™s $5 shipping so saving $600 less
$60 a year shipping is still a large chunk of money savinga

$249 a month on AMAZON!!!

I was in the same boat here in the SW. I didnā€™t get a single response. On the Silver plan I highly doubt the pods were 100 percent paid for, and when I asked the rep and insurance pod person for a definitive answer on that (they said they were) I never got one. When I decided no way was I going to make a full order without a real trial, using the Animas offer, they disappeared. I donā€™t need to work that hard for answers. I still have a new Ping, so oh well. My HMO told me to ask the third party supplier we have to use, and she didnā€™t know either, but at least she was there to ask. The whole experience just turned me off, big time.

That price you are seeing on Amazon is not something you can count on always being available.

Also, they arenā€™t even asking for a prescription. Clearly that is not a legitimate medical supply company.

Yes you can get them for cheaper on the blackmarket. Itā€™s always been like that. But itā€™s just not a consistent source that you can count on.

Get what you can, but if the source dries up you can always get them for $300 from the company, guaranteed.

Thank you so much Eric for caring enough to guide me. I did listen and Iā€™m talking to Omnipod today to see what options are available but maybe Iā€™ll try Amazon for a while. I also am looking into seeing if buying another insurance plan outside of Medicare is worth it or if it would cost more than the pods. Thank againšŸ’›

1 Like

I am new to the forum. Does anyone know if Kaiser Permanente will pay for Omnipod?

Hi Chandra1 ,
Iā€™m an omnipod user . My husband is about to get out of the military and I have to start looking for a new insurance. Do you think you could share that spread sheet that you have?

Thank you .

Hi, Kmartinez! Thanks for getting in touch! The spreadsheet is now out of date since the individual insurance changes every year. However, I will tell you that the Omnipod is usually charged as either Durable Medical Supplies or Medical Supplies. So when youā€™re comparing the different insurances, look for what percentage co-pay you would pay for those things. Mine has been 20% for several years (I think it was about $40/box) and recently has been 0% (thankfully!) once I started ordering one box per month because I think they switched it from ā€œDurableā€ medical to just plain medical supplies. Anyway, Iā€™m currently on an independent plan through Carefirst BlueCross/BlueShield. I hope this is helpful! You can also give Insulet a call to see if they can help you navigate it at all. I wish you the best! Feel free to message me if you need more info!

1 Like

This is a tough question. Honestly, despite all of our communal knowledge, I would be surprised if anyone could answer this basic question.

My input is this: I DO NOT recommend running a pump without a Dexcom. Get the Dexcom first. Thats because your husband wont have any way of knowing if the Omnipod settings are working correctly without data. He will not be able to operate it without data.

Now, just for an estimate on what you are shopping for. I have a pretty darn good insurance plan. I pay $300 every 3 month for Dexcom supplies. Thats me paying 20% after deductible ($2,000) for durable medical. That makes the insurance negotiated price around $300 = X (0.2), X = $1,500 every 3 months, or $6,000 per year. Omnipod will be similarly priced. You might be expected to pay around $12,000 per year for durable medical in a good plan, I think. I donā€™t expect you to get anywhere near this in the marketplace. I expect you to pay much, much more.

Can somebody volley back on my estimate? Does that seem in the ballpark?

P.S. I would avoid United Health Group like the plague.