What is going on?

Ok friends,

I need some help here. During the last week I've my pump wakes me in the middle of the night telling me that (according to my CGM) my BG is going high. When I test with my meter it confirms that I've gone from a decent 120 reading when going to bed to a reading in the 200s three hours later.

Unless I'm getting up in my sleep and eating candy I have no idea what is going on.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Could my liver be dumping glucagon? If so, how does one deal with this? It's not consistent, so I don't want to change my basal at night.

Ideas?

I haven't experienced this and can only think of one thing. What was your last meal before these nighttime highs. Did you have a fatty meal late in the evening. I probally don't need to say this but a fat laden meal will slow digestion of any carbs you ingested. Since this is a random happening it leads me to believe that it has a random cause. The most variable part of our D life is our diet and is what I suspect anytime I have troubles.

Does your pump have tubing, or is it tubing free? If there's tubing, it can get folded, compressed or twisted. Also, check your pump battery, and the freshness of your insulin. Make sure the needle isn't bent too. There's a lot that can go wrong with pumps, which is one of the reasons I'm sticking with MDIs.

You could be experiencing highs because of a low that triggers a liver dump, best way to find out is to test about every hour all night long. You could do this on a weekend. I'd look into the other issues that pumps can have first though.

Since you have a CGM, you should be able to see if there was a strong drop before the rise.