What is the best snack for handling lows at work?

I have found teeny boxes. 11 carbs in a box. I can stop myself because it’s a psychological thing for me-- if I open a box I will eat the whole box. But I won’t need to open more, being satisfied that I had an entire box. These are the games I play with myself. Also, I can only use sunmaid raisins because they are the only ones packaged in the “mini-snack” size. I also don’t like them as much as the super good plump raisins.

One thing I don’t see mentioned that I love, are those small on serving boxes of apple juice. They do not have to be refrigerated, they are easy to keep in the desk drawer and they are quick acting and best of all they have some substance it feels like I am ingesting something.

rick phillips

I know an adult grandmother, type 1 since the age of 5, who always carries around those half cans of real coca cola. Coke is very high carb, more than juice and you won’t look conspicuous carrying a can. Once you come back into range, you can hold it with a bit of granola bar or chocolate. Candy and soda machines are usually readily available in hospitals. Keep those large individually wrapped Lifesavers in your pockets, 4 grams each. There are, of course, healthier options. Just for those times when you don’t have something healthier you can grab…

Snacking on Protein will help your Bs get more stable. I know how hard it is to eat and run as a Nurse. I used to do the same thing, lunch was anytime and mostly never or a cram and run thing.

Is there a Diabetes educator at the Hospital, maybe you can get some help from her /him…
I know we had one where I worked and she worked really hard on helping me with a diet plan, and checked on me often. It was cool:)

I’m not on a Pump so I’m going to let others help you as they can:) Debbie

i can totally relate to your challenge…i keep those individually wrapped cheese sticks, 100 cal packs of almonds and when i can steal more time from my duties ill try to eat a hard boiled egg.
hope this helps!

As you know, high sugar items raise the bs quickly and then drop it quickly too. What you need is something that is quick to act and slow to leave your system, dairy, yogurt, milk, bananas, fruits, have been good for me. If I need a quick pick up I’ll got for the candy things. Glucose tabs make my stomach sick…too much sugar. I wouldn’t suggest going it alone, especially on a pump, but how about a new doc or and endo who would take over that part of your care? I’m of the mind that if something is broken or doesn’t work (even a person) time to get it fixed or replaced. The doc works for you, if he can’t understand your schedule or need for different settings…well, give him the boot.

GU Chomps (3) or Shot Blocks (2). 15 grams of carb , check bg again in 15 minutes. I live by that because when I don’t , things get crazy. My job is also on the move, but not nearly as yours. I stick them in my pocket or purse. I buy them at my local bike store. Ah the pump. Ask your doctor for what CDE or class you can work with in your area. The key is writing down everything, (which I fail to do countless times).Protein . have always been taught to treat a low bg 80 or less with glucose, period. You are not alone. We want to eat when we go low, because our bodies are reacting to the low.

I use the energy gel packs such as GU or the power bar brand. There are several brands out there. Because they are made for quick digestion and tranfer of carbs for athletic activity, I find them faster acting than any glucose tablet. The glucose tablets just don’t work for me. A pack fits in your shirt pocket for eas of use and come in a variety of flavors. Generaly each packet has 22-25 carbs. The only draw back is the short duration. You will need to eat but in an emergency it can be a life saver.
I keep them in the car, in my computer bag, and my mountain bike. My wife also keeps one in her purse for me when those unexpected lows surprise you.

This morning I woke up at 3:45 AM with my BG at 49. A quick gel pack and I laid back down. My BG was still 100 at 5:30 AM.

I am a firm believer in the energy gels. They have saved me from so many low episodes when visiting my customers or out on my own. Any one who has experienced extreme lows should carry one with them.

haha. That’s cute.